Migraine following a hypo?

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had, or is having migraines following a hypo? I've never suffered migraines before but have recently had three all following a hypo (3.3 was the lowest reading). Migraines have come on the following morning and I've found them really debilitating and have spent most of the day throwing up :( . Blood sugars have managed to stay fairly stable during the sickness :) sickness is the real worry as I have had an episode of DKA following severe sickness.

I'm on Lantus (taken first thing in the morning) and Apidra throughout the day.

Anyone suffered like this ?

Rachel

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
if i get a bad hypo i do get what i call a hypo head which is a really bad headache :)

sandymaynard

Hi there
I suffer with migraines normally at least once a week! But once i have had a hypo i get a severe migraine same as you the next morning, They are very painful! I take cocodomol 30/500mg and a tablet from doctor called maxalat! It really does help with the migraine!
I fully understand how you feel! Migraines are not nice! I have had them since childhood! I feel sorry for anyone who gets them as once you have one. Your best bet when a migraine comes on is to lie in a darkened room.
Don't drink any coffee on that day or day's as this will cause the migraine to last longer
I hope that this info helps a little! Main thing is take it easy when you have migraine!
Sandy

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Sandy,

I wasn't sure if it was a usual thing for some people following a hypo or not. It sounds as if you get it really bad. I have gone back to bed with the blinds and curtains drawn to try to alleviate it and only been able to stomach boiled water and a little lucozde.

I think I'm going to go back to my GP to discuss suitable medication both for the migraine and the sickness. I really need to have something at hand should I feel it coming on. I'll also discuss with my DSN when I pop in.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm new to the forum (had diabetes 12 years) but am finding the info described and support on here fantastic and a real help in managing my control and life.

Rachel

sandymaynard

Hi rachel,
i have sufferd with them since a kid! The only advice i can give, is avoid coffee and chocolate if you can!
This may sound strange but sometimes i put a thing face cloth into cold water and place it accross my forehead sometimes this helps!
Hope you start to feel better soon!
Sandy