I think I have peripheral neuropathy

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't discussed discussed this with my nurse yet, I'm not sure there's a lot they can do.

Some nights it's worse than others, aching and numbness in my legs, when it's bad I can't wait to get up and start moving about. Once moving I'm okay, the feet "tickle test" is always okay. I have trouble sitting down for long periods and prefer to put my feet up.

It may also be effecting my legs on long drives, not sure on this one ,everyone can get a bit stiff/numb sitting in one position for hours on end.

Anyone else have this? and anything they do to help?

ETA type one for 36yrs Novarapid and Lantus

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
Hi Richard,
I've been suffering from Peripheral neuropathy in my legs for a couple of years now.
They seize up and become numb -particularly walking in the cold- or pins and needles and shooting pains, most notably at night.
You can get treatments for it. The first drug I tried was Cymbalta/Duloxetine an antidepressant, but most recently the anti-epileptic drug Gabapentin has been the most effective. They are quite strong and have side effects, drowsiness being one, it's about finding a balance, but pain free nights :)

Alternatively over the course of four months I weaned myself of the meds and the need for my walking stick with daily physio in a heated hydro pool. The heat both stimulates and sooths and you get the buzz from doing something 'healthy'.

Defiantly have a chat with a professional, it's not something you should have to put up with, especially is it can affect your mobility.
Hope that's of some help,
Regards, ash.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ash,

Thank's

It's not affecting my mobility (yet) It's affecting my rest. I'm actually much better walking about, it's sitting/lying still that get's me.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi richard
has your HbA1c's or general control changed much over the past 6-9 months.
many people have reported the symptoms you are experiencing by a fairly quick lowering of BG results.
those symptoms will gradually lessen over a few months.
if this not the case -- a call to your DSN and a chat with your endo is a definite.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my control is better now, I went on a Carbs 4 you course in November. Not had a HbA1c test yet to check.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I haven't discussed discussed this with my nurse yet, I'm not sure there's a lot they can do.

Some nights it's worse than others, aching and numbness in my legs, when it's bad I can't wait to get up and start moving about. Once moving I'm okay, the feet "tickle test" is always okay. I have trouble sitting down for long periods and prefer to put my feet up.

It may also be effecting my legs on long drives, not sure on this one ,everyone can get a bit stiff/numb sitting in one position for hours on end.

Richard hi,

I have been Type 1 for 33 years and am on the same treatment as you.

I have neuropathology both internal and external. Strangely mine affects my hands and fingers as well as my feet and legs.

As you have just stated, when bad I have great difficulty in relaxing as the strange sensations I get in my legs stops me from doing this and I have to get up and move around.

I take a tablet called Amitriptyline (which is an anti depressant) and I find that it helps greatly. Its quite a strong medication and also makes me a little drowsy so I take it about an hour before I go to bed and find that helps also. I have tried Gabapentin but found it was not as helpful as the Amitriptyline so I swear by this tablet now. There are lots of other medications you could try also. Have a word with your GP.

Goes without saying that good control helps but I find that a bath an hour or so before I turn in helps.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have been Type 1 for 33 years and am on the same treatment as you.

I have neuropathology both internal and external. Strangely mine affects my hands and fingers as well as my feet and legs.

As you have just stated, when bad I have great difficulty in relaxing as the strange sensations I get in my legs stops me from doing this and I have to get up and move around.

I take a tablet called Amitriptyline (which is an anti depressant) and I find that it helps greatly. Its quite a strong medication and also makes me a little drowsy so I take it about an hour before I go to bed and find that helps also. I have tried Gabapentin but found it was not as helpful as the Amitriptyline so I swear by this tablet now. There are lots of other medications you could try also. Have a word with your GP.

Goes without saying that good control helps but I find that a bath an hour or so before I turn in helps