Numbness

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
Hi everyone, I have been Diabetic for 32 years now and my question is about my feet. I have developed large entirely numb external areas on the soles of my feet, I have had foot changes for some time or I have felt them happening thanks to Neuropathy. My balance is off now when I stand and walk. I see a Vascular Surgeon next week to have a closer look at the circulation in my legs and feet. I guess I am just so sick and fed up of being damaged by Diabetes and I feel so down about it all today, there is just no end to the complications, pain and well Diabetes and everything to do with it. My biggest fear is landing up with amputations! Thanks for reading :(

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to hear about your feet. I hope the best outcome for when you see the surgeon.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry.

It is such a long grind, isn't it?

I hope your vascular surgeon can give you some good news.
Please come back and tell us what they say?

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
Thank you I will come back and update you! It helps so much when someone understands what this disease does and how it affects you :)

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi shecat
D does have this punishing effect over time If You Let it but it is really important to stay positive and not let it control you.
I really hope you have a good outcome with the surgeon and do keep us updated. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi everyone, I have been Diabetic for 32 years now and my question is about my feet. I have developed large entirely numb external areas on the soles of my feet, I have had foot changes for some time or I have felt them happening thanks to Neuropathy. My balance is off now when I stand and walk. I see a Vascular Surgeon next week to have a closer look at the circulation in my legs and feet. I guess I am just so sick and fed up of being damaged by Diabetes and I feel so down about it all today, there is just no end to the complications, pain and well Diabetes and everything to do with it. My biggest fear is landing up with amputations! Thanks for reading :(
I wish you well :) WE all do !!

Mike

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope it works out well for you Shecat!! Know exactly how you feel....

kglan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sugary food or food very high in calories
I know what you are going through. I have had diagnosed Type 2 diabetes for the past 9 years and it has left me with severe Peripheral Neuropathy. I have serious balance problems, lost my balance in the garden in the summer, sustained a bad fall and broke a big toe which took a long time to heal. I have a lot of pain/discomfort every day and I take strong painkillers along with my other medication . I have my feet checked by the NHS podiatrist about every 6 weeks, as I suffer from the loss of touch sensation .Hope everything goes OK with your visit to the Vascular Surgeon.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sheesh .... that's not good ..... are your BS OK now kglan?

Hate reading about someone in pain. Mike :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi shecat, so sorry you are feeling down, I said on another thread it's just one thing after another. It does get you down at times and we feel fed up and low, I have been feeling the same this week, hoping that dark gloomy heavy cloud disappears, soon.
Good luck and I wish you all the best,

RRB x

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi shecat, so sorry you are feeling down, I said on another thread it's just one thing after another. It does get you down at times and we feel fed up and low, I have been feeling the same this week, hoping that dark gloomy heavy cloud disappears, soon.
Good luck and I wish you all the best,

RRB x
Robin,
I love the way you have empathy for others when you are also feeling not so good.
Your reward: Another BIG HUG!!!
Regards silly sue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Robin,
I love the way you have empathy for others when you are also feeling not so good.
Your reward: Another BIG HUG!!!
Regards silly sue

You are far too kind, the members on here are always giving help and support. But thank you SO much for another hug <3, I will be all hugged out lol
I will say goodnight now, my eyelids are going south, but I will be heading north, off upstairs to bed now lol. Take care RRB x

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you are going through. I have had diagnosed Type 2 diabetes for the past 9 years and it has left me with severe Peripheral Neuropathy. I have serious balance problems, lost my balance in the garden in the summer, sustained a bad fall and broke a big toe which took a long time to heal. I have a lot of pain/discomfort every day and I take strong painkillers along with my other medication . I have my feet checked by the NHS podiatrist about every 6 weeks, as I suffer from the loss of touch sensation .Hope everything goes OK with your visit to the Vascular Surgeon.
we are toe buddies!! i broke two toes for about two months without knowing. just didn't feel any pain. found out when one toe was swollen and had an x-ray done. anyway do take care. i know about the balance issue too. am extremely careful when walking.

kglan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sugary food or food very high in calories
Sheesh .... that's not good ..... are your BS OK now kglan?

Hate reading about someone in pain. Mike :)
Hi Mike - blood sugars now OK because I have to self inject with Liraglutide once a day. Was controlling the diabetes with tablets, but now need injections.
I'm in discomfort most days, but I try not to let it dominate my life.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
we are toe buddies!! i broke two toes for about two months without knowing. just didn't feel any pain. found out when one toe was swollen and had an x-ray done. anyway do take care. i know about the balance issue too. am extremely careful when walking.

" Balance issue "
Sorry if this sounds like a realy stupid question. Is your balance problems because of your feet.
My left foot burns at nght and toes on right feel numb at night, I am on a waiting list to see the podiatrist.
The last few days my balance is not good at all, and it has nothing to do with booze.
I have had labyrinths in the past, it's very like that, but I don't feel sick and ears seem ok.
Could this be another side affect of the diabetes, I'm type 2 on metformin.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
" Balance issue "
Sorry if this sounds like a realy stupid question. Is your balance problems because of your feet.
My left foot burns at nght and toes on right feel numb at night, I am on a waiting list to see the podiatrist.
The last few days my balance is not good at all, and it has nothing to do with booze.
I have had labyrinths in the past, it's very like that, but I don't feel sick and ears seem ok.
Could this be another side affect of the diabetes, I'm type 2 on metformin.

Hi Millysue,

sorry for the late reply. definitely worth a visit to the podiatrist for a check!!

i am sure it's not the booze..;)

for me, it is very much a foot issue. i have lost feeling in about 80% of both feet up to about just above the ankles. some areas of my under soles are thin and other parts have thickened. visually, they look fine but functionally, the combination of being morbidly obese and lack of sensitivity makes me vulnerable particularly whilst walking. 3 of my toes are out of sync after i broke 2 toes last year. i also reckon that there has been some muscular degeneration.

like you, i also had tremendous shooting pains but those receded over the years as i lost all feeling. nowadays, i only get mild pains. i do not know if that is a blessing or a curse..

on a positive note, since bringing my blood sugars under control, there has been some clear improvement in sensitivity. and i know for a fact, that my functionality improves tremendously with consistent exercise (which i hope to start soon).

so, DO visit the podiatrist & i sincerely hope it all works out for you!!

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Millysue,

sorry for the late reply. definitely worth a visit to the podiatrist for a check!!

i am sure it's not the booze..;)

for me, it is very much a foot issue. i have lost feeling in about 80% of both feet up to about just above the ankles. some areas of my under soles are thin and other parts have thickened. visually, they look fine but functionally, the combination of being morbidly obese and lack of sensitivity makes me vulnerable particularly whilst walking. 3 of my toes are out of sync after i broke 2 toes last year. i also reckon that there has been some muscular degeneration.

like you, i also had tremendous shooting pains but those receded over the years as i lost all feeling. nowadays, i only get mild pains. i do not know if that is a blessing or a curse..

on a positive note, since bringing my blood sugars under control, there has been some clear improvement in sensitivity. and i know for a fact, that my functionality improves tremendously with consistent exercise (which i hope to start soon).

so, DO visit the podiatrist & i sincerely hope it all works out for you!!

Thank you.

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
Hi Shecat,
I've been suffering from peripheral nerve damage in my feet and legs for two years now. The numbness and pain is sporadic but it does make mobility an issue.
I was exceedingly worried about the possibility of loosing my feet during the initial recovery from a DKA, as the nerve damage was undiagnosed, but ironically the circulation in my feet is good, which hardly makes sense.
Since May last year I've been able to attend exercise classes and spend time on physio in the local hydropool which is heated. It stimulates and sooths allowing me to wean myself of the horrible meds I was taking and put my walking stick away. I was increasing my general strength and stamina and the mental boost from being able to do something proactive and 'healthy' was and still is good.

Some how I've found myself 7 months pregnant :) -something I had lost hope on happening- and the nerve damage issues have been exassibated by the munchkin and his needs... Rock on May when he's due.
Regards, ash

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shecat,
I've been suffering from peripheral nerve damage in my feet and legs for two years now. The numbness and pain is sporadic but it does make mobility an issue.
I was exceedingly worried about the possibility of loosing my feet during the initial recovery from a DKA, as the nerve damage was undiagnosed, but ironically the circulation in my feet is good, which hardly makes sense.
Since May last year I've been able to attend exercise classes and spend time on physio in the local hydropool which is heated. It stimulates and sooths allowing me to wean myself of the horrible meds I was taking and put my walking stick away. I was increasing my general strength and stamina and the mental boost from being able to do something proactive and 'healthy' was and still is good.

Some how I've found myself 7 months pregnant :) -something I had lost hope on happening- and the nerve damage issues have been exassibated by the munchkin and his needs... Rock on May when he's due.
Regards, ash

A May baby how exciting.

cv2

Circulation in feet and legs is improved with the liquacare insoles that are now on NHS prescription. lots of users also say the symptoms of their neuropathy have got a lot better. There's a lot of good info on the liquacare website