BULLYING AND DISCRIMINATION

nicnac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else had to raise grievances against their employees due to the above. I was put on a sickness plan for appointments and any sickness but then was told it was for my Diabetes and anything related to it. I never had a lunch hour and that was never taken into consideration so ended hypoing many times. Suitable adjustments were never made and i was shouted at from my manager saying because i have diabetes i was the victim ! Please let me know if you have been reated badly and what you did.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't done it but made myself fully aware of the sickness policy at work.
A manager treating you this way def needs to be reported.
Sadly be prepared for a rocky road, if you are treated worse then you have the right to go to a tribunal even when still employed by company

Reactions: 2 people

James_S

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
My father's management is very supportive and understanding. They came to the conclusion that since he does his job and is good at it and makes all he can despite the diabetes then they can be helpful as well. He never has problems with a day off or getting off early and job is always done. However I have a friend who's workplace is awful! Discriminating, annoying and bad for health.

C

chris lowe

Your diabetes is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act. If you have a union at work, join it (even if there isn't one in the workplace you can always arrange to join an appropriate union and pay dues by direct debit, and while they can't represent you with the employer they can give you advise and if necessary will help you to take them to a tribunal) or talk to the Citizen Advice Bureau. Look up DDA on one of the gov.uk sites and you can get the lay of the land as regards your rights and time off for doctors appointments etc. If your manager is still causing problems speak to HR department if there is one. And keep a diary of all events, it's invaluable when you make an official complaint or go to a tribunal.

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
Definitely keep record of all this, if it comes down to disciplinary procedures against you then they will certainly be documenting everything. I had this problem with return to work meetings after non-diabetic related periods of sickness.

Totally famalirise yourself with the works sickness, disability and suitable adjustments policies. You are covered by the human rights act and the dissabilities discrimination act. All this can be taken to support you with your discussions with HR and support/assessment from Occ health.
Your health is paramount and if they wish you to perform then they need to take your needs into consideration, they are legally required to do so.
You are being discriminated against, you require breaks to facilitate the management of your condition, be they used for testing, taking shots or having something to eat.

I managed the turn the tables on the managers who were found deficient in having delt with me fairly according to policies. My disciplinary was quashed, Occ. Health advised additional breaks and allowances with regards diabetic related sickness absences.

Don't let them bully you, having hypos and making you feel sick/bad is totally unacceptable. Good luck.
Regards ash