High all day

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
Hi, my bg has been high all week no matter how much I increase my novo rapid it still stays ,it been in the low teens, and all I'm eating are eggs as they have very little carbs ,but I'm starving ,can't go out to dinner ads bg to high , anyone suggest anything

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you increasing your basal?

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, my bg has been high all week no matter how much I increase my novo rapid it still stays ,it been in the low teens, and all I'm eating are eggs as they have very little carbs ,but I'm starving ,can't go out to dinner ads bg to high , anyone suggest anything
As DD say's first thought would be basal.
Second thought would be to check pens to make sure they are delivering ok. Have you checked in the night to see what levels you are running at?
How long have you been diagnosed for? I asked because if it isn't long perhaps the end of your honeymoon period.

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Second thought would be to check pens to make sure they are delivering ok. Have you checked in the night to see what levels you are running at?
How long have you been diagnosed for? I asked because if it isn't long perhaps the end of your honeymoon period.
Just got new pen couple weeks back

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please check that your fridge is correct temperature.

Also, do you rely upon your DSN to adjust your basal rates or do you raise or lower off your own back sometimes?

Do you basal test?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm assuming that as you joined the forum a few years ago that you are not recently diagnosed, therefore unlikely to be the end of honeymoon.

It may be worth trying some Basal Testing to see whats going on, if you google it there are plenty of resources on it.

You may be coming down with a cold and just not know it yet. I've got one at the moment, thought I had it under control and then bounced up to 20.9 at tea time tonight.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh hang on, many people find they need to count eggs at about 4 carbs per egg. So that might be some of your problem as well if eggs eaten on their own.

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Please check that your fridge is correct temperature.

Also, do you rely upon your DSN to adjust your basal rates or do you raise or lower off your own back sometimes?

Do you basal test?
Oh hang on, many people find they need to count eggs at about 4 carbs per egg. So that might be some of your problem as well if eggs eaten on their own.
was told eggs can be eaten without taking insulin, surely 2would not keep bg high all day

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have to bolus for 4g per egg. But to be high all day indicates your basals are wrong which is why I asked .. Do you basal test.. Or was eating eggs to allow you to basal test?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Do you alter your own basal background insulin? If so why I would in your position be changing it...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
was told eggs can be eaten without taking insulin, surely 2would not keep bg high all day
You have to bolus for protein too - up to half of it. I have two eggs for breakfast every day with a bit of veg and I take 2u NovoRapid.

On staying high: once you're high, what will bring you down again? Correction dose?

Plus try upping basal a bit.

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, been type 1. For 27 years ,no problems till now, was running high before Xmas ,saw DNS , she lowered all doses saying ,more insulin more weight , lower portions eat, but still not working going to increase see what happens, night levels ok but hi after getting up, was told have to put up with it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, been type 1. For 27 years ,no problems till now, was running high before Xmas ,saw DNS , she lowered all doses saying ,more insulin more weight , lower portions eat, but still not working going to increase see what happens, night levels ok but hi after getting up, was told have to put up with it.
It sounds to me as if your nurse is slightly more than useless.
I can not believe a nurse would lower your insulin when you are running high, barmy springs to mind.
Simple logic says you need as much insulin as you need to keep your numbers within acceptable ranges.
If you have a weight issue then look at the amount and type of carbs you are eating and think about increasing exercise.
Have you been on a DAFNE course or any carb counting insulin adjustment course? If not then ask as a matter of urgency to go on one.
If you are seen by a nurse practicing on you at your GP surgery then ask your GP for an urgent referral to a hospital clinic and DSN, as a rule they know what they are doing.