X-Pert Diabetes Awareness

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I have just had my first session of the X-Pert Diabetes course for self awareness and self-management.

Overall it was very good, very informative (although most of it I already knew from this forum), but during our coffee break we were served..... biscuits. :) When I queried that I was told that the biscuit doesn't count, but that it is the overall picture we have to be concerned with.

Still, I am glad that I went and walked away with a big handbook that contains excellent information. I shall work my way through it slowly, taking on board those things that reinforce what I have learned here and ignore the pages with recipes for cakes (!).

Reactions: 9 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thank you for your feedback on your experience of your DESMOND / X-PERT course .
It can help and encourage others who have not yet had the chance to experience this .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I have just had my first session of the X-Pert Diabetes course for self awareness and self-management.

Overall it was very good, very informative (although most of it I already knew from this forum), but during our coffee break we were served..... biscuits. :) When I queried that I was told that the biscuit doesn't count, but that it is the overall picture we have to be concerned with.

Still, I am glad that I went and walked away with a big handbook that contains excellent information. I shall work my way through it slowly, taking on board those things that reinforce what I have learned here and ignore the pages with recipes for cakes (!).

I did the ExPert course in November and the first week we had plain biscuits the second week malt loaf which spikes me third week fig rolls! I cleared my cupboards of all these items on diagnosis. They also gave us recipe sheets one week for very sweet cake/flapjack overall though the course was beneficial and I did get a lot out of it. Continue following the forum and you will work out for yourself what suits you and what doesn't. You even get a certificate on the last week!

fammy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello every1

i am a new member on this forum , i found ur messages interesting and although i am T2 for few yrs now and have attended the xpert course we were not offered biscuitts . we only got tea and cofee. The course was very useful and gave me a better awareness of food choices and understanding of the nutrition amount and how to read the food labels.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello every1

i am a new member on this forum , i found ur messages interesting and although i am T2 for few yrs now and have attended the xpert course we were not offered biscuitts . we only got tea and cofee. The course was very useful and gave me a better awareness of food choices and understanding of the nutrition amount and how to read the food labels.

Hi Fammy,

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of information here that will help you. Is your T2 well controlled? Do you take medication or control it by diet alone? Let us know more about you, please.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but during our coffee break we were served..... biscuits. :) When I queried that I was told that the biscuit doesn't count, but that it is the overall picture we have to be concerned with.

A Schnapps and a Matjes hering would have been better :)

mannhering.gif

Reactions: 4 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A Schnapps and a Matjes hering would have been better :)

mannhering.gif
Quite fancy a Matjes now.... although it's best with either new potatoes or crusty white roll :(

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Got my blood results today. HbA1c is 45 and triglycerides 3.2. Note to self: Must do better...

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Week 2 today. I have just read in advance of the meeting what we will discuss. As expected the X-Pert course follows the Eat Well plate and recommends eating bread, potatoes, pasta, rice... all the things we have learned here on this forum will spike our Blood Glucose. Fat is to be avoided, carbs encouraged instead....

I can see myself challenging this concept when we meet in an hour..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Week 2 today. I have just read in advance of the meeting what we will discuss. As expected the X-Pert course follows the Eat Well plate and recommends eating bread, potatoes, pasta, rice... all the things we have learned here on this forum will spike our Blood Glucose. Fat is to be avoided, carbs encouraged instead....

I can see myself challenging this concept when we meet in an hour..

See the other thread here on xpert advice changing...

Wld you let us know if they do mention anything at all on lower carbs please??

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
See the other thread here on xpert advice changing...

Wld you let us know if they do mention anything at all on lower carbs please??

I'm afraid the Eat Well Plate was pushed.... carbs are good (in moderation 5-14 portions per day) and fat is bad.

I kept questioning a lot of what was said and the presenter got a bit fed up with me, I fear. She claims that our suggestion of LCMF or even LCHF is just people's opinion, rather than based on any valid research. Neither is 5:2 based on valid research that needs to be taken seriously. We ought to eat a low calorie diet, include carbs, protein, fruit or vege with every meal, and don't need any fat at all.

Pretty much goes against everything we have learned on the forum. My query that carbs spike the blood sugar got dismissed. She suggests that we ought to eat according to the Eat Well plate and lose weight and everything will balance out eventually.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If you want to "push back" I will check out my new Trudi Deakin book when it arrives.
"This is what the woman who wrote your course says..."

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you want to "push back" I will check out my new Trudi Deakin book when it arrives.
"This is what the woman who wrote your course says..."

Thanks... I'm just reading Gretchen Becker's book on Prediabetes (again). Some useful reading there...

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks... I'm just reading Gretchen Becker's book on Prediabetes (again). Some useful reading there...

Oh... and I had a pint of green juice for lunch (skipped breakfast). Total of 1135 g of vegetables (courgette, 1 apple, kale, spinach, 1 lemon, broccoli, carrots, cucumber) made exactly one pint.

Before the drink my BG was 4.8 (no breakfast), after 1 hour: 6.6, after 2 hours 6.0. Don't know what the carb content was in the juice, but it looks like a good way to get lots of macronutrients down without having to eat too much veg. I think I shall do that twice a week now as meal replacement for lunch.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh... and I had a pint of green juice for lunch (skipped breakfast). Total of 1135 g of vegetables (courgette, 1 apple, kale, spinach, 1 lemon, broccoli, carrots, cucumber) made exactly one pint.

Before the drink my BG was 4.8 (no breakfast), after 1 hour: 6.6, after 2 hours 6.0. Don't know what the carb content was in the juice, but it looks like a good way to get lots of macronutrients down without having to eat too much veg. I think I shall do that twice a week now as meal replacement for lunch.

Honest now, what did it taste like?

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Honest now, what did it taste like?
To be honest, I quite like it. Not as much as fresh orange juice, or fresh apple juice, but it's not bad at all. And it certainly tastes better than eating 2 pounds of veg.

Try it...

fammy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fammy,

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of information here that will help you. Is your T2 well controlled? Do you take medication or control it by diet alone? Let us know more about you, please.
thank you for welcoming me to the forum . I have learnt a lot since I joined and still learning . I am T2 controlled on diet and medication . last HBA1c 7.5 on gliclizide 80mg .metformin 2000mg daily . I don't like taking medication I wish I can reduce my BG differently .

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @fammy, I don't think anyone has been on this thread for some time, since mid Jan I think, but Looked back at your original post, very interesting co's you mention you went on the XPERT course for diabetics.

Trudi Deakin, who is the head of XPERT HEALTH and is contracted to the NHS has just launched a book called EAT FAT, where she actually states that they have been telling diabetic the wrong food choices an that now if you want to lower your blood sugars and be healthy is to have '
Low Carbohydrate High Fat' Diet, it's worth getting the book.

http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/shop/details/p/handbook-lowcarb-highfat-lifestyle

This may help

Neil