Memory loss

C

catherinecherub

Lucy, like reading my diary.
Since post Christmas loss of control, when my BS was in the 20s, I have lost ten pounds due to finding this forum and starting gentle low carb, around 60g. Numbers are good have halved my Meds but experiencing extreme fatigue. 4s make me feel rubbish so I am 5,6, And 7.
Doesn't seem to explain why I feel so bad. Having to speak to managers at work about lightening my load. Hate that. Don't think I am depressed so why the brain fog? Considering early retirement even.

Hi,

Not everything is diabetes related although we tend to think it is.

I would express your concerns to your G.P. so that he can allay any fears you have and there are some simple tests he can conduct to see if you have any memory problems.
Take care,

CC

Reactions: 4 people

princess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty of any kind, violence, bitchiness, fighting,
I've been getting so bad over the last year its really worried me I was getting Alzheimer's ! Went to a new diabetic clinic yesterday and was given a memory check as routine ! Apparently its a common thing with diabetes :p who knew ?!!OTE="david6026, post: 783713, member: 97468"]Dose any one else struggle to remember things like I mean loads of things and simple things ????[/QUOTE]
Ive

Reactions: 2 people

Woosy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to my GP about my concerns today, wish I hadn't! Basically I'm a neurotic prone to stress woman and I should change my job! Not happy and not sure where to go next.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Not sure if it's age or diabetes related but yeah I write everything down, my life has become one long list !!

In regards to forgetting things I used to work with a non diabetic woman who had 2 small kids and came to work with her remote control in her handbag instead of her mobile phone, still makes me chuckle now. I do think with the amount of stuff that goes on in our brains trying to remember what to do and when to do it that it can erode our memory capacity, so may be the reason, who knows, failing all that it's old age and you can't halt progress !!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I went to my GP about my concerns today, wish I hadn't! Basically I'm a neurotic prone to stress woman and I should change my job! Not happy and not sure where to go next.

I think it's time to go to a new GP hun ;)

Janiept

Expert
Oh, that's really helpful isn't it. Is there another GP at the surgery who you could ask for a second opinion?

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asked my GP the same thing. Her hunch is that I came down too fast from 20s to normal levels, left me befuddled. Things should improve soon. Did memory test anyway, same kind I have seen elderly relatives do. No probs with that.
She says good to keep an eye on such things due to vascular changes possible with diabetes.

Nurses take was I should expect to feel tired, weak and lethargic, depression almost the norm with diabetics and things will get worse as things go on. Happy days !!! Going with GP, more optimistic and balanced.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried to go swimming last week, had to change my plans cos I couldn't find my cozzie. I do have others but was a bit alarmed about losing something so basic. I looked high and low, thought I could remember washing and drying it after my last visit to the pool, but then wasn't sure whether I was remembering an earlier washing and drying. I think I got paranoic because I've been studying dementia! Am I too young to have dementia? Am I too old to be paranoic? Don't answer, lol.
I found the cozzie this morning, laundered, but in a daft place - a bag for sewing-stuff. Good, anyway, no faff to buy a replacement ...

Woosy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, that's really helpful isn't it. Is there another GP at the surgery who you could ask for a second opinion?
Maybe, but I know the diabetic clinic at the hospital have a drop in centre, I think I'll find out the opening times and see if I can talk to someone. Feeling a bit calmer now but to be quite honest I'm cheesed off with it all, took me a long time to pluck up the courage to speak to him, even took a list because I would never remember it all, but never mind it's another day tomorrow

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Maybe, but I know the diabetic clinic at the hospital have a drop in centre, I think I'll find out the opening times and see if I can talk to someone. Feeling a bit calmer now but to be quite honest I'm cheesed off with it all, took me a long time to pluck up the courage to speak to him, even took a list because I would never remember it all, but never mind it's another day tomorrow
Hi woosy,how many carbs a day and your protein and fat ratio's can you post please,and are you t1 or t2 ,

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. It freaked me out at the start as both my parents had Alzheimers and I thought I was going off on one!!! Glad to know its the norm for most of us!!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your bg is normal or at least controlled and you suffer from memory loss and fatigue it is a good idea to get both thyroid and B12 checked.

Get not only TSH but FT4 and FT3 tested too as these are the actual thyroid hormones while TSH is a pituitary hormone and can't be relied on in case of secondary hypothyroidism. This is admittedly rare but impossible to spot with TSH testing.

Lack of B12 can lead to dementia and psychosis while depression, anxiety and hallucinations are common symptoms of low thyroid.

Woosy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi woosy,how many carbs a day and your protein and fat ratio's can you post please,and are you t1 or t2 ,
I'm a t1, also I'm a bit of a dinosaur I have never counted carbs and know nothing about protein and fat ratios, basically on same regime as I was 22 years ago, adjusting insulin as I go.

Woosy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your bg is normal or at least controlled and you suffer from memory loss and fatigue it is a good idea to get both thyroid and B12 checked.

Get not only TSH but FT4 and FT3 tested too as these are the actual thyroid hormones while TSH is a pituitary hormone and can't be relied on in case of secondary hypothyroidism. This is admittedly rare but impossible to spot with TSH testing.

Lack of B12 can lead to dementia and psychosis while depression, anxiety and hallucinations are common symptoms of low thyroid.
I take 50mcg of thyroid, just get told my levels are now within the normal range. I'm going to write down all the information I've been given and try again, maybe take someone with me. Thank you

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I take 50mcg of thyroid, just get told my levels are now within the normal range. I'm going to write down all the information I've been given and try again, maybe take someone with me. Thank you
Very good advice woosy, hope you get to the bottom of your problem ,even as t1 it still pays to lchf........

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have noticed, not unsurprisingly, that if my sugars go slighly low, I tend to become forgetful. Was convinced I'd arrange to go to lunch with a friend of mine but it seemed I hadn't. I had even written it down in my diary!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have noticed, not unsurprisingly, that if my sugars go slighly low, I tend to become forgetful. Was convinced I'd arrange to go to lunch with a friend of mine but it seemed I hadn't. I had even written it down in my diary!
That's not forgetfulness but sounds more like a hallucination.