fat pockets on thighs from injections

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic for about 18 years now since i was 7 years old, At first i injected into my stomach but after 5 or 6 years i moved to my thighs, i rotate the spot i use and i rotate legs so that one leg isnt always getting the fast acting and the other getting slow acting insulin. A few years ago i started getting big fat build up on the inside/ top of thighs , over the last year its got worse. I am pretty slim and in good shape after 9 months of slimming and toning but now i have slim legs with great big thighs. One thigh is bigger than the other and you can grab a handfull of fat / insulin pocket or what ever they call it. Even if i shake my leg side to side and stop you can see a big wobble from this fat/pocket.
My GP just said its nothing to worry about and just rotate injection sights, trouble is were do i inject and will it cause another pocket? Will this fat go away once i am not injecting there? In total i have lost 1.5 stone and they havent got any smaller.

thanks
James

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I have moved your post to the Type! forum as you are more likely to get answers here.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do Google the web for something like 'insulin injection sites' and look at the image results; stacks of diagrams. Can you let us know the typical number of units you use when you inject. Also, are you using the smallest 4mm needle as you say you are thin?

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't realise you would shoot top of buttocks, I've been putting my basal in the middle plumpish bit of my bum cheek, lol!

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have been diabetic for about 18 years now since i was 7 years old, At first i injected into my stomach but after 5 or 6 years i moved to my thighs, i rotate the spot i use and i rotate legs so that one leg isnt always getting the fast acting and the other getting slow acting insulin. A few years ago i started getting big fat build up on the inside/ top of thighs , over the last year its got worse. I am pretty slim and in good shape after 9 months of slimming and toning but now i have slim legs with great big thighs. One thigh is bigger than the other and you can grab a handfull of fat / insulin pocket or what ever they call it. Even if i shake my leg side to side and stop you can see a big wobble from this fat/pocket.
My GP just said its nothing to worry about and just rotate injection sights, trouble is were do i inject and will it cause another pocket? Will this fat go away once i am not injecting there? In total i have lost 1.5 stone and they havent got any smaller.

thanks
James

Hi James,

I have been Type 1 since 1981 and also have these pouches on my upper thighs. I find injecting into the stomach quite painful so I have been using my thighs and upper arms also (i have pouches here also)

I find the best area though for injecting is the backside as there is quite a lot to grab hold of and although I am only 10 stone in weight there is enough flesh to rotate just in that area.

I do try to rotate as much as possible as these pouches can actually. store some of the insulin you inject but then release it between injections causing unexpected low sugar levels.

Where possible I try to go right arm and then left then right leg and left and then backside (right and left) though this is easier said than done.

KevFitz

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the replys. I take 30 units per day in long acting and around 20 units or so of short acting, I might try jagging my bum , A little nerve racking after so many years of using my thighs , I am scared of needles which doesn't help haha

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been injecting in my thighs for 52 years. Got large lumps. Not a pretty sight. I am very slim but I couldn't face doing it in my stomach. Occasionally I will inject in my arms but only when I have very high b/sugars.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, rotate more, and make sure you change the needle every time you inject. It reduces the damage. Some damage goes away but some remains.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Rotating legs aye ... that I'd love to see .... :p

Reactions: 2 people

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only been injecting for a few months and so can't speak from personal experience, but my DN has told me that it's possible to massage these pockets away. Maybe speak to your diabetes team to see if they have any advice on how to do this? Good luck and I hope they can help.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't realise you would shoot top of buttocks, I've been putting my basal in the middle plumpish bit of my bum cheek, lol!

Me too! You live and learn I actually stopped injecting in my backside when I switched to the pen. It was a lot easier with the smaller plastic syringes

I've had those lumps before they do go away eventually