lets talk about yogurt!

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not that hard once you get a grip of things.
When I first arrived here I felt a little lost and overwhelmed.
I decided right off I would be keeping it simple as possible
I think that's my problem, I haven't really come to terms with it yet, but I will get a grips with it..... Soon (I hope) x

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Lots of how to make yoghurt vids on youtube.
Mostly Indian women that I've seen as it is a normal part of their lives to have yoghurt brewing.

Last edited by a moderator:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. If you likie Fruit yogurts try Irish Yogurts No added Sugar Diet or their new creamy full fat

Be careful with them, the Irish Diet Fat Free Fruit Yogurt has aspartame in, but the
Irish Diet Berries Yogurts doesn't, they use Sucralose

colinRmhall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a fridge full of Tesco finest yoghurt...

Not sure what to do with it now......
Bin it ??
Totally confused.

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own from full fat milk. Absolutely delicious and for a pound you get 4 pints of it, couldnt ask for more.

junemc153

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own using the Easyo system. You can get it from Lakeland, Holland and Barret and the Range. Their full fat unsweetened greek yoghurt is great and tastes good too. Its very easy to do and once you have your starter kit you are away. Just add cold water to the container and shake to mix. Add boiling water to the big container up to the level and stick the smaller container in. 12-18 hours later great yoghurt. Makes 1 kg per time. Keeps up to two weeks in the fridge too.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They are always next to the natural yogurts where I shop. If you are looking for cheaper alternatives, Asda do a full-fat Greek yogurt for £1.38, compared to the £2.20+ for the Fage brand, which I buy every week. Lidl do large size versions really cheap according to my type 1 friend, but I've never looked.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for an Asda ... or a Lidl ... or an Aldi ...

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Rachel's Organic Greek style is beautiful with frozen black cherries and the cherry juice and only 5 carbs per 100gm. I amazed at how much pork and beef gelatine there is in yoghurts as well as the vast amounts of sugar/aspartame etc. It takes me hours to go shopping nowadays for reading all the labels.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a fridge full of Tesco finest yoghurt...

Not sure what to do with it now......
Bin it ??
Totally confused.
Hi Colin what you confused with?
Neil
By the way you can eat the yogurt, just check the carbs, ignore the 'of which are sugars'

colinRmhall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Colin what you confused with?
Neil
By the way you can eat the yogurt, just check the carbs, ignore the 'of which are sugars'
Hi, In short....everything! I have just been diagnosed T 2. I don't know what's safe to eat, (as in better for me) anymore. The advice I got was limited to here's a booklet. It goes against the LCHF diet I have read about...or seems too. Now I am waiting three weeks to see a dietician with no idea what to eat. I am self monitoring my blood glucose morning and night and have yet to get a reading under 8.3. I understand normal range to be 4-7. So I'm a bit concerned, which isn't good for me as my blood pressure is currently around 190.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi, In short....everything! I have just been diagnosed T 2. I don't know what's safe to eat, (as in better for me) anymore. The advice I got was limited to here's a booklet. It goes against the LCHF diet I have read about...or seems too. Now I am waiting three weeks to see a dietician with no idea what to eat. I am self monitoring my blood glucose morning and night and have yet to get a reading under 8.3. I understand normal range to be 4-7. So I'm a bit concerned, which isn't good for me as my blood pressure is currently around 190.
Hi colin, welcome,we all started like this , but with the help of this forums lovely posters,you will soon get into the swing of things @daisy1 will be along and give you the info you need, keep posting and ask as many q's as you need to::))

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Colin & Welcome, seems that @Clivethedrive has beat me to it with regards tagging daisy for you.

It is very confusing when you start and the worry makes it even more daunting. Firstly, don't panic you do have time and eventually you will get you head around it all.

Unfortunately, if you are seeing a dietitian they will probably suggest the EAT WELL PLATE which includes 30% carbohydrates (things like potatoes Bread Rice Pasta Pastry and Root Veg). When I was diagnosed Pre Diabetic I have a super diet similar to the Eat Well Plate although I had reduced my Potatoes & Bread increase my fruit had cerial for breakfast, stayed away from fat and ended up Borderline Diabetic.

Now I have followed the Low Carb High Fat diet I have moved out of the diabetic range, please see my signature. Lost weight too.

To make it simple to start, you need to cut out potatoes Bread Rice Pasta Pastry and Root Veg and cereals or very small portions. You also have to be careful with fruit I can only manage 1/2 an apple. Cannot eat banana as most cannot. Fruit juice is out, I used to have lots.

I'll just say what I have on a typical day.
Breakfast
2 Eggs & 2 bacon 2 Mushrooms or scrambled eggs on one slice of Hovis Seed sensations Bread lowest at 13carbs per slice (can only manage 1 slice with butter. or 1 slice cheese on toast. or Full Fat Yogurt with sm amount Berries sprinkled Flaxseed & sprinkled Granola.

Lunch,
Sardines on 1 slice of toast either hot or cold, with 5/6 cherry tomatoes plus 8/10 olives or Mackerel Fillet with the same

Dinner
Pork Chop with fat or Lamb or 85% meat sausages
Lrg portion of Cauliflower, Swede, French beans
Or Fresh Salmon Cooked with maybe same + mayo
Or any fish

We all on here test our meter, that is we test fasting when getting up. or at the same time as just starting breakfast.
For all meals we test just before eating, then in the early days test at 1hr after & then 2hr, you are looking from what you ate not to move more than 2mmol/L upwards at 2hrs you should be down.

One you have done this for certain foods and find what puts your sugars up you can stop testing those particular meals, it's a pain at first but it does get easier.

You will find your weight should drop on a LCHF diet, you need to at least if you can walk 30 mins a day that will help also.

Good Book Look for 'Carbs & Cals' on ebay it's just pictures and portion sizes it's very easy tells you what carbs and cals

There is also Trudi Deakins Book from Xpert Health http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/shop/details/p/handbook-lowcarb-highfat-lifestyle

Hope this help, I know it all seems a lot to take in but you will. Please stay around you will get a lot of support on here and people are around to answer all your questions. Remember it's the carbs that turn to sugar.

Neil

Reactions: 6 people

MissB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's pro yoghurt sounds yum....why is it better to have the full fat yoghurts rather than the no fat?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
That's pro yoghurt sounds yum....why is it better to have the full fat yoghurts rather than the no fat?
Hi missB, full fat yogurt is better because for diabetics it does not turn into glucose in our blood and helps us feel full longer