5% Club

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear iph888
Light headedness isn't usually casued by Metformin. Are you on any other medication?
Metformin acts on your sensitivity to your own insulin,which is made in response to what you eat. Sounds like you are overproducing insulin and your sensitivity has improved.
Have you lost a lot of weight or been doing loads of exercise?

iph888

Hi Hanadr

I thought that as well about Metformin but then was waiting to see the nurse ar my GP's and saw a diabetic mgazine in the waiting room. I read it and it gave all the symptoms of a hypo & said it was unusual but not unknown on tablets and when I said this to the diabetic nurse she agreed it could be. I think that in light of my weight loss and change in HbA1c levels she possibly just wanted to make sure but with a HbA1c of 4.9 (I was 16 when diagnosed) she could afford to be cautious about it.

To answer your question I have been training twice a week (normally a 1/2 hour run with sprints followed by 1 to 1-1/2 hours of weights) I had lost over 5 stone & was using no other medication. Since then I have had a daughter and between coming off metformin (from 4x 500mg/day) and losing free time and sleep I have eaten my way up a stone. I have also not had any lightheadedness since coming off the metformin.

Do you have any medical knowledge or does anyone know if I should have been experiencing these lightheaded moments at all?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Metformin does rarely cause light headedness and dizziness. So might well have been the cause. You did the right thing in discussing it with your HCP team.

Extract from information about Metformin.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Metformin:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain or discomfort; dizziness or lightheadedness; fast or difficult breathing; feeling of being unusually cold; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; general feeling of being unwell; muscle pain or weakness; slow or irregular heartbeat; unusual drowsiness; unusual or persistent stomach pain or discomfort; unusual tiredness or weakness.

Hope that helps.
Ken.

iph888

Thanks Cuglia this is what I thought I had read but am always open to more informed advice.

Sorry if I took this off topic guys! Everyone deserves a lot of credit for doing so well with their results and I appologise if I've taken away from all of your acheivments. :oops:

Hopefully we can get as many people as possible to post their own 5% results on this topic so that we can all try to beat this together.

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
This club is such an inspiration and I'm aiming to join you soon!
I'm currently at 6.9 from 10.7 three months ago, having been diagnosed four months ago with a fasting level of 17.9 (gulp). Today, I'm 2 stone lighter as well and with a BMI of 29.9 no longer obese (hurray!) according to my wii.

Any tips to help me get there? (I'm on 3x500 metformin)

Thanks,
Jacqui

The Governor

iph888 said:
Is there a 4% club?

My last test was 4.9 but not recommended as I was starting to feel lightheaded at times and it made the nurse take me off my metformin immediately.

I am probably much worse than this now given my lack of self control recently so will be interesting to see if I actually get a reading in the 5% range.

I must remember reading Men's Health isn't the same as actually working out!
I suspect the 4% club meets in the morgue :D

I'm a steady 5.8% on my last two tests, with some relaxation of control between tests, ideally I'd like to be 5.6 ish but if I can stick to 5.8 I'll be happy with that.

At 36 I need good control, it'll be "interesting" how the reading shifts over the coming years.

dinosaur

i was diagnosed as type 2 in january.
just wish there was some kind of warning from my doctors that i was at risk, last year i was told i was not.
i am still pretty narked that i have for life what we all have , when if i had just had 3 months notice i could have gotten into the kind of shape i am in now and still been able to eat all my favourite goodies.

i just had my first hb1ac 3 weeks ago

i was 5.5
cholesteral was 2.2
blood pressure 109/69
bmi 23.3

and to make me even more narked i am told on my hb1ac that i have a thyroid that is very underactive and have been put on medication for that as well.

2009 has been a ****** year.

Trinkwasser

dinosaur said:
i was diagnosed as type 2 in january.
just wish there was some kind of warning from my doctors that i was at risk, last year i was told i was not.
i am still pretty narked that i have for life what we all have , when if i had just had 3 months notice i could have gotten into the kind of shape i am in now and still been able to eat all my favourite goodies.

Well not necessarily, but you would have had more time to try to gain control by NOT eating so many of those goodies!

and to make me even more narked i am told on my hb1ac that i have a thyroid that is very underactive and have been put on medication for that as well.

Ah now *that* might make a significant difference!

Anyway your numbers are a bit good, so whatever you're doing is working!