sugar addiction

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If I start my day with two Weetabix or any other breakfast cereal I'm hungry two hours later.
Nope never a sugar junkie but I've come to believe we're as good as all carb junkies .... that becomes sugar inside us.
If I have toast I'm the same.
So starting the day on carbs sets me up for being hungry most of the day and having to nibble or eat something.
If I have a fry up I can go most of the day without hunger or nibble mania.
A fry up every day or even boiled eggs is to much like hard work so I've discovered other ways.
I first started with the bullet proof coffee ... still with two sweeteners as I find coffee to bitter without.
No milk but a table spoon of butter in it and a little coconut oil too if there's any in.
That's it for breakfast nothing else.
The butter tends to take the heat out of the coffee so I bung it in the micro to heat it back up.
It gives me an almost illegal must do buzz of energy!
Fills me up with fat and I can go seven or eight hours before wanting anything else.
A bit more normal now and have discovered I can eat porridge so long as it has a big spoonful of coconut oil in it .... butter would probably do the job too but I can't have porridge without fat or I'm spiked.
Eating carbs will keep your cravings for more carbs on the go all day.
Try and start the day with fats/oils and see what happens.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really struggle with this. I have drastically reduced my sugar intake and cut out anything sweet and mainly only eat brown carbs. This has stopped the cravings but if I fall off the wagon I feel really ill the next day. I make sure I eat small snacks in the morning - that's when I'm most likely to have low sugars. I eat lots of cheese, nuts and seeds.

I spend ages looking at the sugar contents of prepared foods. As a general rule of thumb, if it says the word 'sweet' like in sweet chilli then don't have it. If there's even a hint of fruit in it then don't have it. I never eat fruit only veggies. Beware of tomato based sauces and check out the breads that you buy.
welcome jane, it sounds like it is working for you..I think you are doing the right thing cutting fruit/juice. fructose is bad news.

for me..I found brown carbs are just as bad as white carbs and limit how much of both I eat.
unprocessed whole grain mixed with flour and called whole grain bread, spikes me the same.
I find 'just cooked, al dente' whole grains that are whole can be ok. basmati rice is said to be the good rice.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
bullet proof coffee ... still with two sweeteners as I find coffee to bitter without.
No milk but a table spoon of butter in it and a little coconut oil too if there's any in.
That's it for breakfast nothing else.
The butter tends to take the heat out of the coffee so I bung it in the micro to heat it back up.
It gives me an almost illegal must do buzz of energy!
Hey this sounds like a interesting idea @JACKTHELAD although i've read some reports that say it raises cholesterol levels, should this be a concern? what coffee do you use in this, Is it the Upgraded, do you grind your own or use the shelf ground coffees?

Last edited by a moderator:

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love chocolate and so have made myself change to dark chocolate which I am not keen on so when I gave a craving a eat a square of that and it stops me wanting more!

Reactions: 3 people

borderbird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that a small water biscuit with lots of Marmite on eaten as soon as I crave sugar stops it, also as soon as I get tired the craving starts so I find going to bed earlier helps.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I get a craving sometimes I put a sweet or Jaffa Cake in my mouth a keep it there for a minute or so then spit it out.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If I get a craving sometimes I put a sweet or Jaffa Cake in my mouth a keep it there for a minute or so then spit it out.
You can spit a Jaffa cake back out!!!!!!!!
My wife makes large home made ones .... lovely.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never want another cigarette again but I can't say the same about sugar.

One study found that sugar excites the same part of the brain as cocaine.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I never want another cigarette again but I can't say the same about sugar.

One study found that sugar excites the same part of the brain as cocaine.
Not advisable to put it up your nose though.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I agree with NoCrbs4Me, the best way to get rid of your sweet tooth is to go cold turkey. If you don't feed your cravings eventually they will disappear. If I get tempted, I visualize the surgeon's knife cutting in to my feet as he amputates my toes. Then that chocolate bar or cake doesn't seem so appealing.

Reactions: 6 people

Dilly40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had chocolate with every meal and at anytime of day if I need a snack it was chocolate, if I was waiting to pick the kids up I would have a big bag of something all to myself. I would even eat my daughters easter / christmas chocolate telling myself I was saving her. It got to a point that I would hide chocolate and eat in secret so no one knew how much I was eating. Then in January the nurse told me I had T2 I had been found out my chocolate addiction was out in the open. I went cold turkey for about 4 days felt so ill got the shakes so got some 97% chocolate had too much felt sick. Now I have a supply of 97% in the cupboard but only eat a very small piece as it is so horrible. It does not help that most of the tv ads are about chocolate and sweets. Easter is going to be tough.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I had chocolate with every meal and at anytime of day if I need a snack it was chocolate, if I was waiting to pick the kids up I would have a big bag of something all to myself. I would even eat my daughters easter / christmas chocolate telling myself I was saving her. It got to a point that I would hide chocolate and eat in secret so no one knew how much I was eating. Then in January the nurse told me I had T2 I had been found out my chocolate addiction was out in the open. I went cold turkey for about 4 days felt so ill got the shakes so got some 97% chocolate had too much felt sick. Now I have a supply of 97% in the cupboard but only eat a very small piece as it is so horrible. It does not help that most of the tv ads are about chocolate and sweets. Easter is going to be tough.
Stay strong it's worth it.
If you get through with gritted teeth and behave like a bear with a sore head .... you'll feel great when you come out the other side with your resolve intact.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't know how any one could have one Jaffa Cale and then spit it out, although I can quite understand how some one could just have one to eat, and then notice that the entire packet had mysteriously vanished.

Reactions: 4 people

Galathea

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I craved sugar every day. My breakfast would be toast or a sarnie followed by biscuits or chocolate. I couldn't get enough of the stuff and would eat it till my heart raced and I felt sick. It was like i didn't have a full signal with chocolate. Since doing LCHF ive only had one bad craving day and it feels really strange to me. Ive never stayed on an eating plan without cheating for more than a couple of days. Tried slimming world more times than ive had hot dinners and always failed on the second or third day. I don't know where the self control has come from!

I too have always craved sugar, ... Nothing has ever been sweet enough. And I used to eat icing sugar straight out of the box. ( half a packet at a time).... However I started a low carb regime three weeks ago... Carbs are working out at 65 a day.... And I haven't had a single sugar craving. In fact the thought of eating sugar makes me feel ill. Its brilliant to be free of the heart palpitations and feeling really hot..... I have lost 8 lbs too which is the best loss I have had in 15 years.....