my pump appointment

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Well guys I had my appointment and I didn't no I had to do so much work they told me there's two options option 1 was to do an advance carb counting course for 5 days 9th till 5 which includes taking my blood every 2 hours from 8am till midnight then at 3 of clock recording every think I eat drink carbs time date exercise emotion level etc. Option 2 . Go back on to lantus and split my does but I have really bad sights so extra injections a day wouldn't go well really. I'd still have to do the course and everything it involves.
If you think that's a lot of work then wait till you get a pump, There is a lot of work involved when starting to pump for at least 6 months. You can not just plug and play.

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
If only it was that simple!

Perhaps Google can develop something? Maybe even with a group play function: 'Can YOU beat the demon and get MY HbA1c down?'

Niecie

Ask to go on a dafne course this will help you mo end but in actual fact I dont find it work involved at all basically all you need to know is the pack carbohydrate which every food has ! Buy the carbs and cals app or book too that is really beneficial it sounds a little over powering tbh but also a bit scare mongering it realy isnt that hard to get the adjust ment right, if you work yiu shoild still ne entitled to some sort of pay as its to do with your health if yoj do do the course sorry just seen post good luc keep us informed x

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask to go on a dafne course this will help you mo end but in actual fact I dont find it work involved at all basically all you need to know is the pack carbohydrate which every food has ! Buy the carbs and cals app or book too that is really beneficial it sounds a little over powering tbh but also a bit scare mongering it realy isnt that hard to get the adjust ment right, if you work yiu shoild still ne entitled to some sort of pay as its to do with your health if yoj do do the course sorry just seen post good luc keep us informed x
I'm on the course this week it will be my 3rd day tomorrow so are you saying it's beneficial for an insulin pump ??

Niecie

Hope it's going well? I think it's a help more do for the carb counting but I did Dafne a few year ago( still remember most of it) only been on the pump since Oct last year , still lovng it and still recommend, if remember rightly on Dsfne they may change/adjust your insulin do it's more beneficial how have you found the last 3 days? I hope it's going ok for you keep us informed and push for the pump! X

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do u push for the pump tho? Atm I had 4 hypos Monday 3.0 and lower today I had 2 hypos

Niecie

:/ just keep asking! Tell them you've done your research and it would be very beneficial to you, just re read your post you mentioned about injection sites? Mine were awful too( 36 year diabetic) since going on the pump my arms and legs have gone bk to almost normal no lumpy sites anywhere +you have better control =less hypos! Wishing you the best of luck stick it out you will get there :) x

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long did it take for you to get on it and what's the situation with eating is it the same?? Can you eat at different times as I work different shifts in work ? And that's when it gets hard to control. I told them it's different because when I'm on the course it's easier to look at the diabetes at a whole but when I go back to normal life it goes pear shaped it's the reality

Niecie

I applied in June last year after seeing people on here talking about it, I was just to be set up jan this year but got a call in the Oct to say it had arrived ( you have to see several drs to get approval) then it has to be applied for funding, my dr was really excited when I asked you do need to keep a food diary etc for around 3/4 wks so they can get your dosage right it is s bit of s pain but very beneficial. I eat when I feel the need! Used to have to eat regular etc but now I don't eat half as much( used up have bags and bags of sweets in the car/ bag for hypo now I don't carry any all I carry is dextrose tablets ) I honestly can't apply enough how beneficial it has been, do your research look on you tube etc then kept asking if you haven't already done so! ( if so can't understand why they won't take you on ?) x

Niecie

Ps I've eaten at 10pm tonight night before if was around 5, had breakfast nothing got lunch small snack around 4 ish and sugars have been steady around 5-7 a 1st for me as was constantly high! Look on here too there's lots of useful info , some people say they don't like but I <3 it ! X

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10th March is my induction for it where I will be getting my pump and begin my week putting water into me using it then on the 16th it will change to insulin woot

iHs

10th March is my induction for it where I will be getting my pump and begin my week putting water into me using it then on the 16th it will change to insulin woot

Good luck with pumping.....you will find it fairly life changing for the good andvfor the bad. The key to success with using one is to get the basal and bolus as ok as possible so you will need to bg test frequently and try to get the carb value of yr food correct. Walk with it first, dont try to run

iHs

27.5 is a tad high. You should try to do a correction and have a think about what food or drink you have swallowed to make it go like that.

As you can see, Im not in bed and am bg testing to sort out my bg levels on my pump and adjust the basal upwards

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ye I no why it's because I had a night shift and came home and fell asleep before taking my trisiba my background insulin and when I woke up at 8 in the afternoon my bloods just read hi so

iHs

Forgiven by me but not by diabetes. He hasnt got any eyes or ears. He only responds to bg level changes. A pump should help you adjust yr specific need for insulin but can only do so by knowing what yr bg levels are so you will need to make yrself remember or set some alarms up to remind. I think of my pump as being like a baby that needs to be fed and get its nappy changed or else, creates merry hell lol

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol that's one way for it lol ye sounds good my bloods are 8.7 this morning 1 more correction should give me my level I want

Niecie

Yaaay with pump date, hope all goes well and it's a success for you I really hope you like it! Keep us informed x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ye I no why it's because I had a night shift and came home and fell asleep before taking my trisiba my background insulin and when I woke up at 8 in the afternoon my bloods just read hi so

I so hope you realise the management that a pump takes otherwise you are seriously not going to cope.
You can't just "forget"/"fall asleep" etc.

You are going to have to be a lot more conscientious. You only have max 5 hours of insulin in your body at anytime with a pump as it is only quick acting insulin.

You need to be prepared for a lot of adjusting if you can't be ***** now...