"Hospital food is a recipe for disaster "

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How many cafes and sandwich shops have egg mayo out on display for more than 2 hours, or pre-packed egg sandwiches in shops and supermarkets (not to mention hospitals) with "eat by" dates somewhere in the future? Surely if it were dangerous, these practices would be stopped by the health and safety inspectors?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm hoping they have a salad option for lunch and dinner but i don't suppose they have Hellmann's mayo, so I've just found individual sachets on ebay and amazon that don't need to be kept in the fridge that I can take in with me :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm hoping they have a salad option for lunch and dinner but i don't suppose they have Hellmann's mayo, so I've just found individual sachets on ebay and amazon that don't need to be kept in the fridge that I can take in with me :)
or you could just visit a restaurant that has them and fill your pockets or handbag?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
or you could just visit a restaurant that has them and fill your pockets or handbag?

I don't go to restaurants any more and I'm certainly not going to go trawling round restaurants when I go to town to look for hellmanns sachets!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I was only in for two days .
Take the carbs of the plate and there is nothing left.
No deserts no plain yogurt,just bananas.
The nurse told me her sister id diabetic and she can eat anything?
Yes for that length of time,get food brought in.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was only in for two days .
Take the carbs of the plate and there is nothing left.
No deserts no plain yogurt,just bananas.
The nurse told me her sister id diabetic and she can eat anything?
Yes for that length of time,get food brought in.

I won't be having many visitors as I don't know many people round here yet. One of my sons will be staying at my place to look after my dog and my other son will be having surgery in 2-3 months and may not be able to get in to see me. That leaves my ex who also has lots of health problems and can't always get out.
My sister might be able to get in, but she's on dialysis and is often unwell. So I've got to find stuff that I can take in with me and won't go off. Don't want to have to keep asking nurses to get stuff from fridge for me.
I think cheese and crackers are available lunch and dinner instead of a dessert, I could ask for some at breakfast too, and take in my own lower carb crackers instead of having theirs which could be 5 - 7 carbs each!

Or I could just eat what they give me, use my own meter to record levels and afterwards show my doctor what happens when I eat lots of carbs like they tell me to do! :eek:
(joking!)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Peperami, packets of good pork scratchings, babybel cheese, that's all I can think of t the moment.

MammaLucy

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,
First time on this site but had to add to this discussion, as food is SO important for a diabetic.
My son (8) was diagnosed with type 1 and we left hospital before the week was up as the food choices were so appalling for a diabetic. He was then diagnosed with coeliac disease and even just after his endoscopy/biopsies there was no food made available to him that was gluten free apart from high sugar content yogurts , so I am not a fan of hospital food and pity anyone who has to struggle with imparting information re diabetes / coeliac disease or anything else for that matter to staff who don't understand/care.
That said we have received excellent care from the doctors/ nurses we have seen, and they are plentiful as we have been in and out of hospital for the last 9 months!!
I've said my piece now, phew, that feels better.
Lucy

Reactions: 6 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
my friend who has type 2 was recently in hosp for partail amp via diabeties i can honestly say the menu was disgusting he was given snack boxes with biscuits in barms allsorts fruit jucies and on one occasion after his op he wasnt eating the nurse told him she would pick him up a mc d if it would help i was shocked most diabetics with amputations were eating curly wurleys bis u name it this was the manchester royal in manchester xx

Reactions: 4 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my friend who has type 2 was recently in hosp for partail amp via diabeties i can honestly say the menu was disgusting he was given snack boxes with biscuits in barms allsorts fruit jucies and on one occasion after his op he wasnt eating the nurse told him she would pick him up a mc d if it would help i was shocked most diabetics with amputations were eating curly wurleys bis u name it this was the manchester royal in manchester xx

:wideyed::wideyed: never new it was that bad,,,,hope i dont need to stay in the ozzie ever if the nosh is as **** as that

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
:wideyed::wideyed: never new it was that bad,,,,hope i dont need to stay in the ozzie ever if the nosh is as **** as that
if u do take ur own food ahahah x

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,
First time on this site but had to add to this discussion, as food is SO important for a diabetic.
My son (8) was diagnosed with type 1 and we left hospital before the week was up as the food choices were so appalling for a diabetic. He was then diagnosed with coeliac disease and even just after his endoscopy/biopsies there was no food made available to him that was gluten free apart from high sugar content yogurts , so I am not a fan of hospital food and pity anyone who has to struggle with imparting information re diabetes / coeliac disease or anything else for that matter to staff who don't understand/care.
That said we have received excellent care from the doctors/ nurses we have seen, and they are plentiful as we have been in and out of hospital for the last 9 months!!
Lucy

Welcome to the forum! If you post a short introduction @daisy1 can give you some really helpful info ;)
Hospital food is even more worrying when it's your child not being fed properly, and it's just wrong that they don't cater for specific medical needs, it can't be that rare in a hospital to have coeliac or IBD problems!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can also testify on behalf of my T2 dad that the food Is not worthy of a Ds specific requirement..
To be honest it don't seem to have changed much since I was a T1 kid in the 70's having an ENT opp. With what was put before me & compelled to eat going against what I was told not to.. Causing mixed feelings on the subject as an 8 year old at the time.. :banghead:

Umarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are that worried about the food in hospital when you are in then contact your dietician. I had to go in for two weeks in October last year and I was offered a pass to the public restaurant to top up what I was eating. If you are worried about the high carb count then may I suggest changing to a regime that deals with carb counting? I did and I personally can eat practically anything! Take for example this lunchtime. My lunch consisted of two sandwiches and a large packet of crisps. Total carbs was around 200. My test pre evening meal had my bloods on a mere 8.5........ I am a type 1.

john2223

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with sanguine. You should ask your GP to write a letter stating what your dietary requirements are. On http://theexdiabetics.com there are some great resources to help put your diet plan together.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are that worried about the food in hospital when you are in then contact your dietician. I had to go in for two weeks in October last year and I was offered a pass to the public restaurant to top up what I was eating. If you are worried about the high carb count then may I suggest changing to a regime that deals with carb counting? I did and I personally can eat practically anything! Take for example this lunchtime. My lunch consisted of two sandwiches and a large packet of crisps. Total carbs was around 200. My test pre evening meal had my bloods on a mere 8.5........ I am a type 1.

I can't tolerate any bread at all, or spuds, rice, pasta (except teh low carb ones you wouldn't get in hospital) and I couldn't have 200g carbs a day, I'm only having 50 at most and even that's causing problems. And I'm T2 so can't increase insulin to make up for extra carbs.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear. Well, just put together the best case you can, and present that to the GP persuasively. With your BG results from both sorts of food tabulated and analysed. If you are numerate, average BG and standard deviation can be persuasive.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello everyone,
Lucy

So sorry to hear about your son's double whammy, I'm the same as him, it can be a nightmare :eek: how is he coping with it all ? Once, at my diabetic appointment, about 2 1/1 years ago now, I had a hypo, the nurse went to get me something and came back with an individual packet of digestives, I said I can't eat them as I was Coeliac( newly diagnosed) and she said it won't kill me :eek: not then it wouldn't, but being so sick before being diagnosed, I didn't want to be throwing up on the way home, by bus, then a 15 minute walk, honestly health professionals :arghh: :banghead:

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the hospital where I was first found to have t2 diabetes i was fed exactly the same as the other non diabetic patients. Only difference was that I got my finger pricked several times a day and they didn't. No wonder i ignored it for years when the health professionals did just the same!