Had A Hypo At Hospital

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
JACKTHELAD has a point. If you don't complain, the same thing could happen to someone else.

It would be so easy to turn your back on the hospital but you'd only be harming yourself. You need them to help care for you. Obviously A&E needs some improvement and your complaint could help achieve that.

pavmas

Sorry mate but if you go back and put in a complaint you not only help yourself but me and endless others too.
You even help the hospital.
What are you going to do move house?
Sorry if I've offended you but I don't see how an adult can behave the way you're determined to regarding this issue.
Yes we have decided to move because of it we are going back to Scotland, my son wants us to move back up. Im alright with it but my sons want their mother where they can se her, she has a heart mumur and a few years ago my son needed a medical for a job, the doctor found an irregular heartbeat so he was booked in for the treadmill, 2 days before it he broke his foot at five aside football so could not do it, the hospital sent a note to the doctor that they had him on the treadmill for 17 minutes and all was fine, it was signed by 3 nurses each 5minutes apart as though they were checking him, he was in the house with a broken foot, now my son and wife are engish so this was not any discrimnation but was blatent lying. That place needs shut down or some sort of check

pavmas

Sorry mate but if you go back and put in a complaint you not only help yourself but me and endless others too.
You even help the hospital.
What are you going to do move house?
Sorry if I've offended you but I don't see how an adult can behave the way you're determined to regarding this issue.
Jack I know there are good and bad staff in all walks of life, I have told you about me and my sons treatment there, so might as well tell you the third one which was my wife.
All her life she has been a size8_10 and she started to put on weight for no reason, he sent her to heartlands for tests, they did one test 3 months later another test then a liver test, they found something in her liver and did another test and found nothing they said it was sytem symatic notsure about that spelling but saying she imagined it, my wife said how could I have imagined it when you told me, and I kid you not this is what he said after 2 year of testing once every 3or six months about five tests all in, remember my wife went their because she put on weight. He said you need to lose weight, ane stop drinoing, my wife said I Don,t drink and this asiann doctor said you must do because your irish, my wife said im English and my husband is Scottish we just have an irish surname, now writing this im wondering if they have us down as drinkers on our medical file despite none of us drink, I think I need to get our medicql files and have a look as this could explain a lot of things

pavmas

JACKTHELAD has a point. If you don't complain, the same thing could happen to someone else.

It would be so easy to turn your back on the hospital but you'd only be harming yourself. You need them to help care for you. Obviously A&E needs some improvement and your complaint could help achieve that.
Jack got me thinking, others say they are getting good treatment and I have been honest about my treatment, I must get a hold of my hospital medical file, to see whats happening in it

pavmas

I know what you are saying but my wife has had aleaking heart valve for 15 years she gets nothing for it only beta blckers, everytime she is examined anywher they say you must get that checked at the hospital, she does not bother now because they say evrythings fine, yet when she had an operation on her. Thyroid they bring in a specalist because she has a heart problem that seems to dissapear when heartlands check it so they say. We hear of people rushed into hospital for emergency heart op like tony Blair who had the exact same problem as my wife, hers is alright, she said to them onfe that there is a dye that can show up thr damage, they told her that it can kill you ss its dangerous, which we found out is nonsense, if you check my posts going back a few years you will see that I mention never getting my feet checked etc,

pavmas

My son is doing a stock check at work tonight so I thought I would wait up for him and catch up on all the diabetic news, I had forgot I posted this here so hope I answerd all the quetions asked. Sorry some bad typing mistakes but having to stop after a few words to heat my fingers, this is the bad part of diabetis for me, the nerve damage in the hands and fingers, but thats life a lotmore worse than me.
I gurantee you that all I posted is true in this thread, maybe it not because im Scottish but that was the only thing that made sense to me, could be that they were jealous because im really handsome and they were ugly fckers. I really honestly Don,t know but time and time again we have been getting sub standard treatment from heartlands and can,t really understand it.
If you lok at my old posts year after year I have asked for a dietician and asked about my feet getting checked and they time was the first time I have had my blood results in over 3 years. Im open to suggestions

pavmas

As a fellow Scot I'm disappointed that you have joined in perpetuating the drunken Scot stereotype by accusing the policeman of being racist. By all means have a go at him for not getting you medical attention or acting quicker.
Mate the policeman told me his reason was because he assumed I wasdrunk after I said you decided iwasdrunk when you heard me talk, he replied wel you look finenow, imnot concerned with him imconcerned with the treatment of medical staff or the lack if it and the ignorance of diabetes in a nhs hospital where I would assume before this was one place where you would want to have ahypo if you had to have one

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Birmingham and I want to tell you what happened to me at Heartlands Hospital Yesterday. On Sat I got a swelling in my gum which went larger on Sunday and got an emergency appointment on Monday for the Doctor an got Antibiotics. Later that day after a sleep I awoke with my face swollen in my mouth and outside that much it distorted my face and the pain was amazing, It said in the Antibiotics leaflet that if your face swells seek immediate help so went to Emergency at Heartlands Hospital. I am a Type1 diabetic and had not ate for two days because of this and was using glucose tabs to keep my blood sugars up. After an hour or so waiting my blood sugars dropped and I was having a hypo, I felt dizzy and lay on the floor trying to get my Glucose tabs out my pocket. I was approached by a security guard who says "Get Up" I said I cant I'm a diabetic and I'm having a hypo I need this glucose tab to kick in, well he kept going on and on for me to stand up and then he walked a way, A policeman approached and says get up you can't lie there an I repeated I was a diabetic and having a hypo just give me a few minutes' you need to move as you are blocking the way, at this time the security guard came back with a chair ( they were wanting me up off the floor and to stand as there were no chairs) anyway they forced me up and after 10 mins in the chair I came back to normal, I stood up and went over to the policeman who would not look at me and I said " I know what happened there you heard me talk and because i had a Scottish accent you decided I was drunk when I was having a medical emergency " He said well you could not have been that bad because you are alright now. That's the first time that has happened to me in England but I am under no illusion because I am Scottish i was treated like dirt. I usually attend the Diabetic clinic at Heartlands but i won't be back, I will die first before I come near that place.

This security guard went through a door and walked past nurses and doctors to get a chair so him and the policeman just assumed I was drunk and my Scottish accent was what convinced them.
This is not the first time this has happened a few years ago my wife was getting her liver checked and they told her you have to stop drinking, my wife does not drink at all and when she told them they said " are you sure you have an Irish surname"

It's not because of your nationality mate, it's the normal levels of ignorance we diabetics encounter in every day life. I always thought that policemen, airport security guards, stewards, railway staff and many others should be given an awareness course about diabetics and their needs. Seems like we'll have to go on hoping.

In my opinion, the mistake you made was not to call an ambulance when you found that you couldn't eat. You'd have been fast-tracked to hospital then.