FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, full time here too. Made such a difference to my control.

bekhh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you guys using the libre full time instead of testing or are you just experimenting ?

Using it fulltime and now and then (few times a week) a regular test (Insulinx). When starting a new sensor I do some extra regular checks the first 48 hours. Sometimes the differences between FSL and regular checks can go up to 2mmol but it's good enough for me.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks. do you think it will come down in price or be available on the NHS soon ?

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pity the DVLA did not include them as part of their driving requirements criteria !

Hopefully the NHS will see the benefits of using one of these devices !

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pity the DVLA did not include them as part of their driving requirements criteria !

Hopefully the NHS will see the benefits of using one of these devices !
They are not really accurate enough for DVLA. I have had three of mine replaced by Abbott for being too erratic.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was that 3 sensors or readers or both that were replaced? What is the customer service like ? Thanks.

Sounds like they are quite a few problems need addressing before this particular device takes off.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My last sensor timed out this afternoon but it did last it's allotted life. I've still not received a replacement for the previous one that died so I guess that's the end of my experiments with the Libre for a while.

Stats are out of 6 sensors, 3 lasted the 14 days, 3 died (1 fell off, 1 stopped, 1 caused a big bruise). Then of 2 meters,the first had a button fail, the second is still fine.

Accurancy, I'm not sure. The first 4 sensors where all but useless one way or another, I could never believe or trust the scans The latest two, the first looked promising but I had to take if off after 2 days. This last one has been more than accurate enough for me - generally within 0.2mmol from a BG (usual qualifiers here) with the meter.

Maybe I got unlucky with an early production batch of sensors / reader.; just maybe the later sensors are better. I hope so but for now I'll let Abbott find someone else to carry on their field trials..

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was that 3 sensors or readers or both that were replaced? What is the customer service like ? Thanks.

Sounds like they are quite a few problems need addressing before this particular device takes off.
Sensors only - they were just reading erratically so I had to finger-stick which seemed like a waste of money. Customer service was good. We went through a check list on each occasion and they decided to replace. My reader seems to be OK.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had four replacement sensors due to three reading badly and a fourth falling off. I've ordered eight.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had three replacements in twelve sensors (with a couple more in hand). One was wildly inaccurate (due almost certainly to skin reaction), one died after five days and the final one had a faulty firing mechanism so might well have been fine, but never got started. I also had one that I took off a bit early (also skin reaction issue), but I didn't report it. Abbott have been extremely helpful and quick with replacements. I wouldn't give it up!!

Charlesa8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any fresh info when the Libre will be available in the UK again? I've been on the waitlist since December but haven't heard anything from Abbott.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any fresh info when the Libre will be available in the UK again? I've been on the waitlist since December but haven't heard anything from Abbott.

They're starting releasing them next week. They've invited the first (I think) 100 people on the list to buy next week and apparently will continue to roll out to the next 100 etc after that.

Charlesa8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're starting releasing them next week. They've invited the first (I think) 100 people on the list to buy next week and apparently will continue to roll out to the next 100 etc after that.

Fantastic; thanks for your quick reply.

I've also been asking in the Diabetes and Endocrine Centre at RBCH and they say they haven't been able to get any Libre's either (they only got 6), so I guess Abbott soft-launched with very limited stock and/or didn't anticipate the demand.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Encouraging to see that places like the RBCH are keen to start using these devices.

Charlesa8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Encouraging to see that places like the RBCH are keen to start using these devices.

Yes, RBCH are quite keen but of course are still subject to NICE guidelines. They gave me a Dexcom G4 to trial for a few weeks and have been quite proactive in the CGM space.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also using mine full time, although I keep planning to take a break to save money!! Lol. I'm addicted.

I've had 2 replacement sensors and one replacement reader. But I'm not always great and checking with finger pricks so can't guarantee all mine have been accurate

Reactions: 2 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Has anyone experience playing football with the Libre on? On Sunday I have to play, wondering if I should wait til after the game to put my new sensor on..?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in what it's like whilst exercising too. I'll be playing football twice a week and gym around 4. Not sure if they'll stick.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To give you some idea relating to exercise, @L3wisr I go to the gym 4-5 times per week and none of my sensors have fallen off due to going. The one I had that came off was due to siting it on one of my muscles and the sensor not fitting the contour.