Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Everyone

I have been reading so many threads on this and I am totally confused, I am looking to get my bloods down a bit within target and more importantly lose weight. Am I supposed to follow LCHF to lose weight?? or will this maintain weight should I still be counting calories? what sort of things are good to eat. Any advice and guidance would be hugely appreciated. I am type 1 diabetic.

Thanks

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jilly, I'm type 2 and still learning, so not the best to give advice. What I can advise is stick with the forum ask all the questions you need and someone will be along shortly to help you.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Jilly, welcome - have a read of the first item linked in my sig below, hopefully this will answer you but come back and ask any more questions.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks so much I really appreciate it. Do you know if I can have diet coke or diet Pepsi??

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i do lchf and i eat homemade soups . i make my own bread cakes biscuits i use cocnut flour instead of normel and sweetners etc i eat full fat everything and avoid carbs were i can anything grown below ground ie... spuds etc i avoid i eat beries of all kinds and avoid abannanas limit orange coz suger content etc , i stopped eating bread spuds rice pasta etc and switched to meats cheeses i make crustless quiches etc . i lost 8 half stone in 11 months ohhh and exersize to lol

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
i do lchf and i eat homemade soups . i make my own bread cakes biscuits i use cocnut flour instead of normel and sweetners etc i eat full fat everything and avoid carbs were i can anything grown below ground ie... spuds etc i avoid i eat beries of all kinds and avoid abannanas limit orange coz suger content etc , i stopped eating bread spuds rice pasta etc and switched to meats cheeses i make crustless quiches etc . i lost 8 half stone in 11 months ohhh and exersize to lol
Wow that's amazing well done you. Where do you get all your recipes. I have just started high intensity boot camp !!

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Can anyone tell me if I am supposed to just watch carbs or calories as well??

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It depends on how much exercise you do and where you are on your weight loss programme. On LCHF you are replacing carb calories with fat calories. I've never calorie counted myself but just eaten enough fat to satisfy hunger and no more, and walked a lot.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If you have a lot of weight to lose you need to find the right balance of carbs/fat/protein that suits your lifestyle. When you cut carbs you also cut calories by default, but you do have to increase your fats to do the diet correctly, so you have to watch the fat calories aren't taking you over your daily limit of calories. Too little fat and you will be hungry and possibly ill, tired, and fatigued. Too much fat and you may not lose weight. You have to find your own balance.

I cut my carbs, kept normal protein, and increased my fats to give me a total of 1200 calories a day. I lost 4st 5lbs very easily, and without stalling, but I was lucky to find the right balance straight away. My problem has been stopping losing once I reached target.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
If you have a lot of weight to lose you need to find the right balance of carbs/fat/protein that suits your lifestyle. When you cut carbs you also cut calories by default, but you do have to increase your fats to do the diet correctly, so you have to watch the fat calories aren't taking you over your daily limit of calories. Too little fat and you will be hungry and possibly ill, tired, and fatigued. Too much fat and you may not lose weight. You have to find your own balance.

I cut my carbs, kept normal protein, and increased my fats to give me a total of 1200 calories a day. I lost 4st 5lbs very easily, and without stalling, but I was lucky to find the right balance straight away. My problem has been stopping losing once I reached target.

That is amazing weight loss and I would be delighted with that amount of weight loss. Is there an easy way to work out calculations or do you have a meal plan thats easy to follow? I am finding this all so interesting but confusing at the same time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is amazing weight loss and I would be delighted with that amount of weight loss. Is there an easy way to work out calculations or do you have a meal plan thats easy to follow? I am finding this all so interesting but confusing at the same time.

I use My Fitness Pal. I typed in my details and it told me 1200 calories was right for me to lose 2lbs a week. I then typed in the number of carbs I wanted to eat and played about with the fat and protein amounts to get those balanced correctly for me. I also bought the book "Carbs & Cals" from Amazon, which is brilliant. It shows photos of all the usual foods set out on plates, cooked. Then says the weight, number of carbs/cals/fats/protein and fibre in that portion. I kept a food diary (still do) with the amounts of all those things, and record my blood reading levels alongside. It sounds like hard work, but it is worth it and takes the confusion away.

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I use My Fitness Pal. I typed in my details and it told me 1200 calories was right for me to lose 2lbs a week. I then typed in the number of carbs I wanted to eat and played about with the fat and protein amounts to get those balanced correctly for me. I also bought the book "Carbs & Cals" from Amazon, which is brilliant. It shows photos of all the usual foods set out on plates, cooked. Then says the weight, number of carbs/cals/fats/protein and fibre in that portion. I kept a food diary (still do) with the amounts of all those things, and record my blood reading levels alongside. It sounds like hard work, but it is worth it and takes the confusion away.

Fab I have the carbs and cals app on my phone. So how much Carbs/Protein and fats should I be eating. Sorry for all the questions :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab I have the carbs and cals app on my phone. So how much Carbs/Protein and fats should I be eating. Sorry for all the questions :)

I can't really tell you that. There is no answer. We are all different in what amounts of carbs we can tolerate without harming our BS levels. I see you are a T1 on insulin. I'm a T2 on diet only, so I don't have any meds to help. You must decide on the level of carbs you want to eat, then play about with the fats and protein amounts to reach your calorie target. You can always increase or decrease things as you go along. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you will need.