high nightime readingd

evelyntemple

Hi I have been using insulin for my diabetes for a while now but am as confused as ever, I am on Nova rapid three times a day and levimir at night but my night time readings are high I am trying to lose weight but having difficulty we eat our main meal at night well about 5 30 and I take my levimir at 8 30 then test about 10 15 am I doing this wrong I can,t seem to adjust my insulin for each meal if say I have a cooked meal and my blood before that meal is 6.0 I then am on 52 units then at night my blood would be about 11.0 having say 2 ryvita about 7pm do I ajust the 5 30 insulin or take mor at bedtime. Then say the next day at 5 30 I have a salad the same dose would be too high and my blood would drop too low I am feeling pretty useless at the moment and my hospital has changed my appointment again I haven't seen anyone in 6 months sorry to be a bit muddled hope you know what I mean best wishes Evelyn

ma5on

Hi Evelyn

You don't say if you're T1 or T2?

It's a little unclear exactly what is happening from your post, but I would suspect that your Levemir could be running out towards the end of the day (hence higher readings in the evening?)

I have the same problem and now try to have a carb-free dinner to try and balance it out (not an ideal solution but it works (kind of!) for me.....

Hopefully others will be along shortly to advise!

ma5on

ma5on

Sounds like you could also do with learning to count carbohydrates....

Try keeping a diary of what you eat and the insulin you do to cover it. Take this to your DSN and they should be able to help you work out your carb to insulin ratio and that will help you adjust your insulin accordingly.

Most hospitals run courses like DAFNE, JIGSAW, BIANCA etc....Just ask your team to get you on one, or at least refer you to a dietician who can help you.

ma5on

philg

Hi Evelyn

I am on the same insulins and had the same problem with BG creeping up in the evening even though I had a low carb meal and injected enough novorapid to cover it.

With the approval of my Dr and Diabetic nurse I have split my Levemir into 2 injections about 12 hours apart and it seems to be working. I have found that the split that works for me is a third in the morning and 2 thirds in the evening.

Hope you can sort it.

Phil

evelyntemple

Thanks eveyone for your replys I was under the impression I could only take the levimir at night I went to my d n and she said my reading were not bad she would sooner have them high not low I am type 2 by the way so I am still a bit confused as whatb she said the books tell you different

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Hi evelyn. Think you should listen to the people on here. They seem to know a lot more than the books tell you ? Thgey are not trying to sell you anything either.

D