Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

The more you try to stop the more obsessed you become
We have a wonderful bakery here and they do this multigrain loaf which I can not resist. 1 slice leads to another, then another. The only way i win is not to buy it, but to buy a 47p sliced white which I hate and wind up throwing to the birds, We have some very big birds here. keep up the fight.

I will Brenda, thank you.

scottie1

Hi Scottie,
You know your doing the correct things.
Try to stress less, I know it's easier said than done. Try to think of the posertive things in your life.

Try to keep a good record of what your eating etc, I'm sure this will help when seeing the doctor.
Keep off the scales, it's only stressing you out.

Cheers Milly

Yes,I do know I am doing the right things, as you do too Milly. I won't have anybody saying different. If I happen to slip up, like eating Weetabix, it is only because I am trying to find foods that don't spike me. Weetabix obviously did, so I won't be eating that again. It's still a learning curve and we are bound to make mistakes along the way. The important thing is that we learn from them.

I know I'm very lucky in my life, things happen and I have to learn to deal with them and not let them get me down, :)

Reactions: 4 people

scottie1

i have 739 calories and 34g carbs left for today, so shall have to find something to eat so I'm not feeling hungry later on. Time to look in the fridge and cupboards.

Reactions: 2 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes,I do know I am doing the right things, as you do too Milly. I won't have anybody saying different. If I happen to slip up, like eating Weetabix, it is only because I am trying to find foods that don't spike me. Weetabix obviously did, so I won't be eating that again. It's still a learning curve and we are bound to make mistakes along the way. The important thing is that we learn from them.

I know I'm very lucky in my life, things happen and I have to learn to deal with them and not let them get me down, :)

Your so right, we are each on our individual journey. Me I'm sitting on the back of the tortoise, I'll get there in the end.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
i have 739 calories and 34g carbs left for today, so shall have to find something to eat so I'm not feeling hungry later on. Time to look in the fridge and cupboards.

Can I have some of your carbs? ;)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scottie,

Just wanted to check in with you and find out how things are. You seemed a little stressed yesterday, but hopefully today is a better day. I also wondered if you were okay with the Ryvitas? and if so which ones you had, as for me them seem to spike me really badly but I could just be one of those lucky people who are really carb sensitive.

Reactions: 3 people

scottie1

Hi Kezza

Not too good, BG high again this morning and have tried to get in at the doctors but no appointments today. Just had some Ryvitas with melted cheese so will see if the result is lower in an hour. I find the Ryvitas fine, I have the multigrain ones if that helps. I have found that potatoes and flour and cereal spike me, so think I will be the same with bread,though could just eat a nice slice of brown bread with butter. I'm going to try the Hovis Seed Sensations to see if I can eat that, though I am guessing not.

I think one of the reasons I am stressing is lack of sleep, it has only started since I have been low-carbing and I take sleeping tablets though they don't seem to be working at the moment.

Hope you are well, thanks for popping in :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kezza

Not too good, BG high again this morning and have tried to get in at the doctors but no appointments today. Just had some Ryvitas with melted cheese so will see if the result is lower in an hour. I find the Ryvitas fine, I have the multigrain ones if that helps. I have found that potatoes and flour and cereal spike me, so think I will be the same with bread,though could just eat a nice slice of brown bread with butter. I'm going to try the Hovis Seed Sensations to see if I can eat that, though I am guessing not.

I think one of the reasons I am stressing is lack of sleep, it has only started since I have been low-carbing and I take sleeping tablets though they don't seem to be working at the moment.

Hope you are well, thanks for popping in :)
my rules when I started until my bloods were back to normal...were..
number 1. no sugary stuff, inc. fruit and juice
number 2. no grain, inc rice, barley, oats etc ...no grain product, inc pasta, breads etc
number 3, no starch veg..potato, corn etc
eat everything else

scottie1

Thank Jack

i am not eating any surgary stuff. The only grain I am eating, if they have grain are Ryvitas and I'm not eating any starchy veg. I think I will give the bread a miss for a while, like you say, until my levels are normal. Am living off fish, eggs, meat and Ryvitas at the moment. i was eating Ryvitas before my levels rose in the last couple of days without any problems. So I don't think they are spiking me but could be wrong.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would cut ryvita and replace with wraps that are stuffed with LC stuff
I used lettuce leaves, ham/mortadella etc cold meat slices and filled them with stuff.
you can also use vegetables, grilled large mushrooms with toppings are also good
no-bread-sandwiches.jpg

scottie1

Weight in December was 18.8, went down to 17.7 and then 16.10, put on 8 lbs and went back up to 17.4, lost 1ib so went down to 17.3. Now at 16.12.

Just keeping a record.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am also wondering about the effects of a under-active thyroid and therefore the medication needed to control this.

I was diagnosed in November and have been taking meds since then, the GP has increased the dosage one since then. Could this affect the way I feel, could it effect my diabetes, could the medication effect either/both. Would it cause problems with my BG? Could if effect my LCHF?

By the way, i am not asking anyone to answer these questions, just thinking out loud.
Hi Scottie bit late responding but I was diagnosed with under active thyroid about 18 months ago and currently take 50mg of Levethyroxine per day - I actually found that, in conjunction with low carving etc, it help me lose weight. I still get tired and cold though so it could be your thyroid.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BG has gone down by 8.4 since eating so I don't think Ryvitas are spiking me.
Hi Scottie although they are still quite high you're bs readings do seem to be coming down. I'm sure they will improve even more when you find out what you can and cannot eat. Re the not sleeping are you on statins?

scottie1

Hi Daphne

I take 125g of Levethyroxin per day, and at the last check up they said my thyroid was well controlled, but I am not losing enough weight. I have been taking them since November I think.

I'm ashamed to say I don't know what a statin is?

scottie1

BG gone down from 28.9 to 17.1, so happy there is a big reduction but hoping it's not such a high tomorrow.
I phoned the doctors this morning as I was so scared about the 28.9, was told to call back at 2.30pm, which I did but still no appointment even when I explained the problem.

I have now found out what statins are, and no, I don't take them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering because statins can cause some people difficulty in sleeping - I know I slept better after coming off them.