BG levels after stopping Metformin

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack, I humbly apologise for not reading your links until this morning but after doing so, wow! I'm going to discuss this info with my doctor for her input. It appears on face value that all in the Metformin garden is rosy and it makes me a bit happier at the thought of taking it that it is derived from a natural substance. Thanks again

edoos

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.google.com.au/#q=benefits+metformin

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/type-2-diabetes-drug-metformin-has-surprise-benefits
anticancer, heart

The findings were “illuminating,” according to Professor Craig Currie, the study’s lead author.

• Individuals who took metformin showed a significant improvement in survival when compared with people without diabetes.
  • In addition, survival among people with diabetes who took sulfonylureas was lower than that of people without the disease.
  • Metformin even seemed to be helpful for people who had type 1 diabetes
  • Previous research has shown that metformin can cut the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by one-third among people with prediabetes.

"It is also thought to activate AMPK and thereby inhibits mTOR. mTOR inhibition is known to be involved in mechanisms linked to increases in lifespan. AMPK and mTOR act as energy sensors and low nutrient-availability is well-known to improve longevity[13]. Metformin seems to mimic calorie-restriction, which probably contributes to its life-extending effect."

from this article: https://nutrita.app/article/metformin

Will caloric restriction or ketosis do the same as metformin?

I strongly doubt that taking it without diabetes lead to better survival rate

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
"It is also thought to activate AMPK and thereby inhibits mTOR. mTOR inhibition is known to be involved in mechanisms linked to increases in lifespan. AMPK and mTOR act as energy sensors and low nutrient-availability is well-known to improve longevity[13]. Metformin seems to mimic calorie-restriction, which probably contributes to its life-extending effect."

from this article: https://nutrita.app/article/metformin

Will caloric restriction or ketosis do the same as metformin?

I strongly doubt that taking it without diabetes lead to better survival rate
This is not a linear scenario and the jury is out. Whilst for example calorie restriction has been shown in organisms and either mice or rats (can't remember), how robust you or I would be and without need for medical intervention, no one can say. I would rather live to 90 on no pills and no hospital appointments, than 92 and the last 10 years on 5 pills a day with a walker.

mTOR increases after exercise and no one would say this shouldn't be done. Also there is a school of thought that if insulin is low mTOR is not a problem. I subscribe to Siim Lands view, that activation of mTOR should be pulsatile, as the benefits are worthwhile.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I was initially on 2000mg a day, quickly reduced to 1000mg, then 500mg. I am not keen on medication of any sort but am trying to balance the negative effects of metformin i.e. has to be excreted and therefore additional strain on kidneys, against the appetite suppressant effect and the possible other health benefits as cited above. I certainly have noticed an increase in appetite as my dosage reduced.

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c:

2x500 mg Metformin: 29
1x500 mg Metformin: 29
No Metformin after 1½ month: 29
No Metformin for 3 months: 28

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have been on 2000mg/day for all of 2018.
Reduced (self, not Doctor) to 1000mg/day at new year and no difference in HbA1c at 6 months in (36)

Now on to 500mg/day and will remain until next HbA1c is done.

Due to other benefits I have read about, I don't think I want to stop altogether