gliclazide, type 2 and the police

peterlemer

My diabetes nurse has just told me that it's a potential offence if I'm stopped while driving without a meter reading >4 taken within the past 2 hours.
First I've heard of it. Can anyone point me to the relevant legislation?

cheers

pete

G

graj0

Reactions: 2 people

peterlemer

Thanks Graj0, it all makes sense - except that I've never had a hypo in the last 13 years as T2D, so am not geared up for it. Will take this on board

pete

G

graj0

Hopefully you'll never have a problem, but at least you'll be prepared for the one officer who needs some browny points in a particular month. No offense intended to any officers of the law.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Legally I believe you only have to test if you're on insulin. Before driving and every 2 hours during a journey, but double check I don't want to give you duff advise and get you into trouble

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, legally you only have to check if you are on insulin and views vary whether it's 4 or 5 mmol to drive ('five to drive'). I try to be over 5 to allow for changes during driving. I agree on insulin you need to test within 30 minutes of starting to drive and every 2 hours after that. Gliclazide can cause hypos so it's a good idea to test if you know it works well. It was waste of time for me as my pancreas was too far gone so I never needed to worry even on max dose.

peterlemer

where can I get chapter and verse on the legal requirements for T2D on gliclazide to carry a BG meter? The pdf (above) isn't specific. It's one thing to take sensible precautions, its another to be in breach of the law.

G

graj0

http://www.leicestershirediabetes.o...nts/Safe Driving and the DVLA final050812.pdf

It might be clearer, it implies that it's only Class 2 licenses require the DVLA being informed.

There again, this next one is from the DVLA.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193489/INF188_2.pdf

This would imply that one hypo and you should inform the DVLA and the implication is that it doesn't matter if you don't feel a hypo, below 4 mmol/l is a hypo. (I hope I got the units right - old money anyway). In fact, not being aware of a hypo is to be taken very seriously.

There again, there's complying with the law and doing what's sensible.

It's not very clear until you look at the DVLA document, which hopefully is clear.

peterlemer

...and my insurers, Aviva, say they don;t flag non-insulin dependent diabetics.
So there appears to be a conflict of agreement here - pete

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a good idea to be aware of your BS levels when you are on gliclazide but there is no requirement to have test results when driving. Some Type 2's even if they are on gliclazide don't even have a meter.

G

graj0

thanks graj0, yes, that's what you warned earlier. I've had one 3.6 so far in 12+ years, and didn't feel any different than normal - but AIUI strip testing has a wide margin of error.

pete
The more I've read the more interesting it gets. They talk about "4 is the floor" although the biochemical classification of hypoglycemia varies between a blood glucose below 3.1 mmol/l to 3.9 mmol/l. Seems that your medical team can inform the DVLA if they think there is a risk. I can confirm that because my next door neighbour got a letter out of the blue from the DVLA withdrawing her license. Seems her GP had upped her dose of an antidepressant and then informed the DVLA without telling her first.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more I've read the more interesting it gets. They talk about "4 is the floor" although the biochemical classification of hypoglycemia varies between a blood glucose below 3.1 mmol/l to 3.9 mmol/l. Seems that your medical team can inform the DVLA if they think there is a risk. I can confirm that because my next door neighbour got a letter out of the blue from the DVLA withdrawing her license. Seems her GP had upped her dose of an antidepressant and then informed the DVLA without telling her first.

Wow.
I'll bet that helped her depression.
:banghead:

peterlemer

scary stuff. We live in a rural area with no public transport. Losing my licence would be a major blow to my lifestyle

desidiabulum

scary stuff. We live in a rural area with no public transport. Losing my licence would be a major blow to my lifestyle
All the more reason to play safe. Just get used to checking your BGs automatically -- seat belt on, BG check - and you won't think about it. Yes it may be unnecessary and not a legal requirement, but you can feel assured that you are covered belt and braces. And you also know that you are showing extra concern for other road-users. So you can even feel smug as well.:)

Reactions: 4 people