Hypo weird sensations

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went slightly hypo earlier, so treated it with a sugary drink, then 5 minutes later my lips and tongue went extremely numb and tingly, also had a weird bitter taste, anyone else experienced this after treating a hypo?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Went slightly hypo earlier, so treated it with a sugary drink, then 5 minutes later my lips and tongue went extremely numb and tingly, also had a weird bitter taste, anyone else experienced this after treating a hypo?
What was in the drink? Could you have reacted to a specific ingredient?

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just lucozade, its never happened before, dont think its the drink, it lasted about 15mins then went

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I can't tolerate Lucozade as it contains caffeine, which I'm allergic to. Next time you're slightly hypo, why not try glucose tabs or jelly babies? It might make a difference.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I get occasional numbness in my lips/cheeks after treating a hypo. It doesn't happen everytime though strangely!

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get it sometimes when i go or just only had a hypo, i wouldn't say it was anything really to worry about.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I only started getting this symptom when I started on Lantas, not sure if it's connected or not.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)

Hi Dan,

I have sworn by lucozade all my diabetes life. It really has saved me on many an occasion.

I get exactly what you have described above. A really bitter taste after drinking or eating something (or no taste at all!) When I was a lot younger I actually looked forward to having something sweet when I was having a a hypo because it tasted so nice, but as the years passed that sensation disappeared.
Tingling in the lips and tongue is something I get also during a hypo but not as much as I used to some years back.

I don't think it has anything to do with the lucozade as you may well have got the same sensation if you had drank half a can of pepsi.

I know that sensations and warning signals change the longer we have diabetes and maybe your just experiencing a new one for you.

KevFitz

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes get this sensation if I over treat a hypo...usually because it's taken me by surprise and I've panicked and munched my way through half a packet of biscuits or the likes.

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yeah, i get the tingling in my lips all the time.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Dan, I've just mentioned this in another post, started happening to me a few months ago, just had a bg of 2.6.... Then numb tongue! This has never happened until recently so no idea why now, can't be related to lucozade coz I've just stuffed my face with biscuits lol x