Why when newbies arrive with very high BS 20+ and go onto a Very Low Carb Diet

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Muggle,

I think @Kezzer was meaning, now you do know about beta cells, has this made anything clearer and helped you make decisions about how better to manage your diabetes?

Thanks Bluetit that's exactly what I meant. Just interested to know whether now they know about beta cells if it actually makes a difference to how they will handle their diabetes... It will they pursue it with their doctors etc etc

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only difference I can see it making is that one ought to then do everything possible to preserve the function of the remaining ones for as long as possible! Obviously it may be passed the point of no return for some folk but I was pleasantly surprised to have it pointed out to me on here that in the case of type 2s some regeneration (or maybe reawakening is better as per Prof Taylor ) of the beta cells appears to be possible with sufficient weight reduction.

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beta cell damage, until reading this thread I had never heard of it.
Research, are we saying that everyone with diabetes should do their own research.
My brother is 75, he is type 2. He doesn't have a computer, his children has shown him how to use a "fancy phone. "
Do I tell him stop believing what the NHS has told him and go do some research.
He would say, well they got me through that heart opp, 2 new valves triple by pass. And with their rehabilitation. I can now dig my own garden.

I bet there are very few people on this site that are type 2 and don't have other problems. Thats why we started to look on the www in the first place.
If people follow the lchf and see changes within a couple of weeks, well good luck to them.
I came to this site because, of support, this I have had from Rowan and some others.
Telling people your can't be doing right, or your should be reading labels, I find this very demeaning.
I hope you don't go Rowan you have helped. Best regards Rowan.
And now you have heard about beta cell damage. Isn't the internet wonderful?

I knew about beta cells since before I started school as my dad had diabetes. As I don't want to go down the same road he did with neuropathy, heart problems and stroke I use the tools I have, namely the internet and my meter. So far it seems to work. Oh, and I quit smoking at 51 and not 64 as my dad did. We were both diagnosed at fifty. He lived 23 years after diagnosis and spent the last years of his life in a care home.

But then he didn't know about LCHF.

Reactions: 11 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only difference I can see it making is that one ought to then do everything possible to preserve the function of the remaining ones for as long as possible!

Absolutely.
It is why I aim for as-near-as-normal-as-poss BG levels.
When my BG goes above that, the glucose concentration in the blood is harming my remaining beta cells.

So every time I stuff carbs, I reduce my future capacity to cope with carbs.
In time, I would need drugs, more drugs and eventually insulin.

So I eat low carb and avoid BG spikes wherever I can.

But I would be doing that anyway, because I want to keep my BG low enough to prevent neuropathy, retinopathy and all the other diabetic complications.

Edited for sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone think that diabetes could be hereditary.
Lots of people keep on about a persons weight.
I am the fourth person in my family to have type 2 diabetes, and we were not all over weight.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the fourth person in my family to have type 2 diabetes, and we were not all over weight.

Yes, it can be genetic. If other close members of your family have type 2 then it may well be genetic in your case. Not all T2's are overweight by any means, there are plenty of skinny ones.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you have a look, you will find many threads on the subject.
I think most of us agree that genetics increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
There are other factors too.

But of course that makes it even more important that we take care of ourselves.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lots of reasons for "metabolic syndrome" including genetics
I think overweight is a symptom and not the cause

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I would use " wikipedia " for research.

It wasn't intended for research, only basic information. But I have some bona fide medical links if you would like to dig a little deeper into beta cell function ? :)

Signy

Reactions: 9 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It wasn't intended for research, only basic information. But I have some bona fide medical links if you would like to dig a little deeper into beta cell function ? :)

Signy
I always start at wiki with stuff I have no idea about..little words and simple, concise themes :wacky:

Reactions: 8 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type two contains a wide spectrum of mostly poly-genetic diabetes, usually caused by a combination of life style and other factors and genes. The more diabetes genes you have the greater the risk for developing the disease.

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Type two contains a wide spectrum of mostly poly-genetic diabetes, usually caused by a combination of life style and other factors and genes. The more diabetes genes you have the greater the risk for developing the disease.
Agreed Totto ......:)

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well, no-one has yet come forward with any scientific evidence, and it seems we are so far all in agreement. In the absence of other medical conditions, do low carb properly and it will work. Sugar levels will come right down and quickly. Play about with it and fool yourself, and they won't.

This sums me up and what you have said before, I was skirting around the edges and only fooling myself, only day 7 but since I started to proper LCHF my numbers are superb post meal, I feel enlightened and wish I did this years ago!

louisiv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I saw this topic, I was so excited. I thought maybe someone here will be able to explain why I haven't been able to get my glucose levels down into the normal range after following the LCHF diet for a little more than 3 weeks. And now, I'm crying...

My first glucose reading was 282 mm/dL (15.7 mmol/l). It took me two days to get Bernstein's book, a meter, and the right foods to start the diet.

On day 1 my fasting glucose was 254 mm/dL (14.1 mmol/l), weight was 157 pounds (71 kilograms ). Today is day 27. Fasting glucose was 146 mm/dL (8.1 mmol/l); 2 hours post breakfast 137 mm/dL (7.6 mmol/l); 2 hours post lunch 144 mm/dL (8 mmol/l); weight 152 pounds (67 kilograms).

I'm in ketosis. I've lost 5 pounds (2.3 kilograms), I am making all my food from scratch, weighing it, and figuring out the carbs, fats, and protein and am staying under 40 grams of carbs. I'm drinking water. And I'm now adding sodium. I space meals 4 hours apart, and I have a snack before bed. I'm testing myself 7 times a day. I'm walking 1 - 2 miles a day, or every other day.

My lowest reading to date is 123 mg/dL (6.8 mmol/l). Goal is 83 mg/dL (4.6 mmol/l)

I don't know why it's taking so long. I've been diabetic/prediabetic for at least 10 years, untreated. It began with being hypoglycemic 35 years ago. 3 or 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity which eliminated some grains from my diet. I've never taken a diabetes medication, nor am I now. I'm assuming that I'm more insulin resistant now.

I think you all are nice, well meaning people, but I have to say many of these posts have no place on a support forum. We all are unique individuals who respond differently to diet. I'm doing a lot of reading right now, and I'm listening to lectures as I come across them. I will figure this out, and when I do, I'll let you all know.

Going to make dinner now.

Hi, I understand your frustration :( I started lchf almost three weeks ago and my blood sugars have gone up instead of down. I'm type 1 for 30 years and wear an insulin pump, I've had to increase my basal rate and bloods not really coming down, I have scrambled eggs with grated cheese in the morning, a tin of tuna and cucumber with a dollop of mayo for lunch, meat or fish and green salad for dinner, I'm wondering if I'm eating too much protein? I'm not hungry and have no carb cravings, I am tired too. I feel like I've become insulin resistant as I need to to take more insulin than before to bring blood sugar down, still very new to lchf and still a lot to learn, didn't think I'd need to take a bolus of insulin to cover scrambled eggs and a handful of grated cheese :( has anyone got any advice, insight or pointers? very frustrated, thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
louisiv, Richard Bernstein is the expert on the LCHF diet for Type 2's. Have you had the opportunity to read his book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution? The most recent edition is here... http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426205270&sr=1-1&keywords=dr.+bernstein's+diabetes+solution If you live in the UK, I assume you'll want to go to a UK website to order it.

So much is written for the Type 2's these days, but that book is written by a Type 1 for Type 1's. I encourage you to start a new topic titled "Type 1 seeking support on starting LCHF diet" (or something like that :) ). By doing this, you'll hopefully draw attention from the Type 1's here doing the LCHF diet.

Looking back, I wish I'd read Bernstein's book cover to cover before starting the diet. It's has a lot of good information.

The toughest part for me was 1) drinking enough water, 2) adding up to 1 - 2 grams of salt to my daily diet so I can retain some of the water I am drinking - (at the moment I'm drinking a 1/8 teaspoon salt dissolved in a cup of hot water each morning) - and 3) figuring out the amount of carbs, fat, and protein I should be eating each day.

Carbs was easy, I believe you have to stay under 30 carbs a day on Bernstein's LCHF diet - (I'm eating 30 - 40 carbs a day).

Fat, I haven't really figured out. My thinking is that if I'm not hungry between meals, I'm eating enough, but maybe not because that's our primary source of calories on this diet. I really need to figure that out.

As for protein, I've read a range of 0.7 to 1.5 grams protein per kilogram of lean body mass based on our activity level. To calculate lean body mass, here's one place to go... http://www.calculator.net/lean-body...&cpound=150&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&x=40&y=15

Here's my example. I'm in my 50's, I am 5 feet 4 inches tall. I weigh 150 pounds, so my lean body mass is approximately 100 pounds according to the calculator. And 100 pounds is 45 kilograms.

45 kilograms x 0.7 grams = 31.5 grams of protein. 45 kilograms x 1.5 grams is 67.5 grams of protein. My range therefore is 31.5 - 67.5 grams of protein per day. I just realized I may still be eating too much protein though I am within this range.

Another way to do this is to use Jenny Ruhl's calculater here... http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/nutrientCalc.php

Others here will tell you to use ratios, but to do that you have to count calories daily, at least in the beginning. Perhaps someone here can share the ratio for carbs, fat, and protein based on caloric intake.

Next week, I'm going to sit down and try to figure this out again. I just haven't had time these last two weeks due to work demands.

If anything I've stated here is incorrect, forum members please speak up. I like being right, but when wrong, I want to be corrected so I can eventually get it right. :)

louisiv, don't let me confuse you. Read Bernstein's book and reach out for help from Type 1's here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This sums me up and what you have said before, I was skirting around the edges and only fooling myself, only day 7 but since I started to proper LCHF my numbers are superb post meal, I feel enlightened and wish I did this years ago!

I'd appreciate hearing the specifics of what you were doing wrong, and the changes you made. :)

louisiv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Winnie, you're an angel :) I'll get that book and start to do some homework, I really appreciate your reply and I'll post a new thread, cheers