Advice needed - DLA - Newbie to forum

mark_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

Im a newbie to here but have had type 2 diabetes for 3-4 years now. My levels have become high and unstable in the last few months which my GP and Cardio Consultant are working to re stablise. Im after some advice from anyone with regards to DLA and asking for a re assessment.

I have High blood pressure, Psoriasis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, High cholesterol, Sleep Apnea, a minor leak on a value in my heart, and Im being assessed for Diabetic Neuropathy.

I take over 44 tablets a day at present as well as using a CPAP machine at night. Im currenty in receipt of DLA middle rate care component for life. This is due to the use of the CPAP at night and the fact that I need to be monitored in case I stop breathing. I havent updated my meds with DWP for a few months as they were all being reviewed and adjusted so I need to do that soon. I will be starting a treatment for my psoriasis shortly - Infliximab - which is given by means of an injection into a vein, via a drip and takes 2 hours to recieve the full dose each time.

So as you can see I have a lot to inform them about. However given the current state of the benefit system Im worried about making any changes as it will involve a full review given the amount of changes and I could lose my whole award even though its been awarded for life.

Can anyone help with any advice or links to somewhere I can get help please?

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Mark

As far as i am aware DLA has changed over to PIP now and at present they are dealing with people who recieve DLA for 3 to 5 years then have to re-apply, if you recieve DLA indefinatley they are not looking into them untill october 2016 maybe later, so if you have to tell them that things have changed (not for the better) they should'nt have to make you re-apply because you have DLA indefinatly. If your circumstances had improved then maybe it would be a different story. I have looked on the DLA website and all the info about the changes are on there, i can understand your concern because they don't make things easy for us they want the ins and outs of everything which in one way i can understand why but for those of us who are geniune it feels like a battle to get what u deserve.

Good luck

Oh yes welcome to the forum

tracey167

mike5360

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fish and based products
I dont know if this is right or not, but, this has just happened to me. I have been moved from Incapacity and Income Support to ESA, work group. Have had my DLA for life reassesd as a result not in my favour. I to have OSA with CPAP on 14 pressure, DLA were informed by Papworth Hospital, that I no longer need overnight monitoring as CPAP is managing my condition. Fortunatly my Psoriasis is managed by creams and Narrowband. My neuropathy does not cause me too much discomfort. DWP reassessed my claim as I informed them that I was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetes using Insulin and tablets from just using tablets. I count myself fortunate not to have incurred any overpayments and am grateful for the help I currently receive from the DWP. I am not trying to put any undue stress you, just stating as I have in other posts, before doing anything seek informed advice, before writing to DWP. The right wording and medical back-up will help your claim right from the outset.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shirl Bill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a hypo injured my knee in type 2 on medication waiting to go into hospital have cataract op was on esa been knocked of yesterday have to go on jsa goin in hospital in 3 wks time get cataract op I'm on crutches still had blood clots in knee have to have my veins stripped and they say I'm fit for work can anybody give me advice I've only been diagnosed type 2 3yrsnow can't get my blood sugar down its usually 13.9 I really need advice

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I had a hypo injured my knee in type 2 on medication waiting to go into hospital have cataract op was on esa been knocked of yesterday have to go on jsa goin in hospital in 3 wks time get cataract op I'm on crutches still had blood clots in knee have to have my veins stripped and they say I'm fit for work can anybody give me advice I've only been diagnosed type 2 3yrsnow can't get my blood sugar down its usually 13.9 I really need advice
Cataract is not a hospital admittance it's all of a 15 min op and a couple of hours prep and wait for discharge.
If you have been kicked off of esa then appeal. Go to CAB or welfare rights. Ask for a mandatory reconsideration and if still no go to appeal.
Oh and as an added bonus if 13.9 they will not do your cataracts or any other surgery it's way to high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shirl Bill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had cataract op lucky it was down to 9-5 took 1hour to do op but hasn't worked still can't see out op eye had complications with drops they give u after op was allergic 2 them eye very dry now have to put 6drops a day in now waitin to see consultant see what goin to do now