Newbie poster - want to move to a pump

VP83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all

Have been browsing the forum for a while, but this is my first venture into posting something....

Have been diabetic for 20 and a half years, initially on two injections, moved to four injections when I was a teenager (after a short period of time I stopped taking all except my night time dose), then back onto two injections per day and have been ever since. I have okayish control, but really want to bring my Hba1c down from 7.8....and most people on this forum seem to recommend a pump and low carb diet. Currently I eat carbs equalling to two golf balls with every meal (as recommended when I was diagnosed in 1994), but this seems so simplistic when I read about how others are getting much better control through other means.

I have a diabetic nurse appointment in a fortnights time - at my last appointment the nurse said she wished all her diabetics had as good control as me (7.8....so really not that great!) if anyone can offer any advice about how to persuade her that a DAFNE course plus the possible move to a pump could be a better way of controlling my diabetes I would be vvvv grateful.

Many thanks!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello VP and welcome.
You need to be on MDI (multi dose injections) before you do DAFNE or are even considered for a pump unless you can prove you are very needle phobic. Is your apt with the surgery nurse or at the hospital under the diabetes clinic? If i's a surgery nurse then you need to run for the hills.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello VP and welcome.
You need to be on MDI (multi dose injections) before you do DAFNE or are even considered for a pump unless you can prove you are very needle phobic. Is your apt with the surgery nurse or at the hospital under the diabetes clinic? If i's a surgery nurse then you need to run for the hills.
I am on multiple injections and wish I could get my Hba1c down to 8 . Have considered pump just joined this forum how can I find out about how others manage get info on current pumps what do they do? Do they automatically adjust administer insulin? Etc am I too old as over 50?

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not too old at over 50! I got my pump when I was 55. MY Hba1c hovered between 8-9 and I had also lost hypo awareness. I have the accu-chek combo which works by blue tooth from the glucose meter to the pump which delivers the insulin.. I love my insulin pump and would hate to go back to MDI.:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am on multiple injections and wish I could get my Hba1c down to 8 . Have considered pump just joined this forum how can I find out about how others manage get info on current pumps what do they do? Do they automatically adjust administer insulin? Etc am I too old as over 50?

Oldest person in my hospital on pump is 70!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Your far from being too old, we have a member who is their 60's who is soon to change over to a pump after 52 years of injecting insulin.

Have a good read of the following, it has some useful information on pumps and the process involved in moving over to one:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not too old at over 50! I got my pump when I was 55. MY Hba1c hovered between 8-9 and I had also lost hypo awareness. I have the accu-chek combo which works by blue tooth from the glucose meter to the pump which delivers the insulin.. I love my insulin pump and would hate to go back to MDI.:)
Thank you that's very reassuring . I will follow this up.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks thats very reassuring lots of questions I would like answered I will post some questions.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Oldest person at my hospital, a lady aged 76

Reactions: 5 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I'm 66 and start on my pump on the 18 May,so give it a go.Good luck

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm 66 and start on my pump on the 18 May,so give it a go.Good luck
You'll be the 3rd oldest that I am now aware of :) thats a bronze medal:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your comments have just made apt inApril to try pump out with saline initially. Was asked what one I was interested in 3 to choose from apparently. Have done Daphne course previously which was a requirement.