gliclazide, type 2 and the police

G

graj0

good thinking, desidiabulum
Especially as it was your diabetic nurse. I was gob smacked when my neighbour told me about her predicament, but I don't fully know the circumstances. I can well see a situation where the GP prescribes something and then another part of the surgery says "Oh we better tell the DVLA", who knows. Better safe than sorry. I think what was also interesting is the slightly different interpretations official bodies had. DVLA should know best although when I asked them directly when I could start driving again after my TKR they said ask your GP. Somebody who had nothing to do with anything except for the initial referral several months before I had the op. Even the car insurers weren't sure which I thought was really crazy, so I went with what the surgeon said and as it was a leg that I didn't use (I drive an automatic) it was no problem.

peterlemer

as I said earlier, there is a big difference between acting out of precaution to acting out of legal agreement. My nurse claimed it was the latter, when it is actually the former.

T2CK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the more reason to play safe. Just get used to checking your BGs automatically -- seat belt on, BG check - and you won't think about it. Yes it may be unnecessary and not a legal requirement, but you can feel assured that you are covered belt and braces. And you also know that you are showing extra concern for other road-users. So you can even feel smug as well.:)
Yep - just got this advice from Diabetic Nurse.. better to have a reading showing BG level if ever involved in an accident.

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
Hi Catherine, the DVLA website says clearly:
Diabetes treated by Sulphonylureas or Glinide tablets (or both)
Diabetes treated by any other tablets or non-insulin injections
You don’t need to tell DVLA.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving
I,ve been looking this up as my diabetes nurse said I should inform my insurance company and the DVLA. I informed my insurance company and they asked if I'd informed the DVLA - I said I would. But then I found what you've found on the website. I've downloaded the Confidential medical information form from the website and will take it with me when I go back to see the diabetes nurse on Monday.Hope this will clear things up. By the way, I've never yet had a hypo.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I,ve been looking this up as my diabetes nurse said I should inform my insurance company and the DVLA. I informed my insurance company and they asked if I'd informed the DVLA - I said I would. But then I found what you've found on the website. I've downloaded the Confidential medical information form from the website and will take it with me when I go back to see the diabetes nurse on Monday.Hope this will clear things up. By the way, I've never yet had a hypo.
As you've flagged it to your insurance company and they asked if you'd infirmed the DVLA it might be an idea to inform my husband had a pacemaker fitted in 2007 following major heart surgery and when we told the DVLA they issued him a letter stating that they were happy for him to drive provided he attended all the medical checks that he had to. The insurance co was happy with this. I also informed my insurance company as he is a named driver on my policy - we didn't pay any extra but at least he's covered.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I only informed the DVLA when I started Insulin Injections...was told I had to by the Nurse and also have to wear an SOS bracelet :(

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You do not need to notify the DVLA for gliclazide. For those who are on insulin, you must tell them and fill in the form to get a shorter term licence. Having a hypo does not lose you your licence. The actual question is along the lines of have you had 2 or more hypos in the last 12 months requiring assistance. This means were you incapable of helping yourself, not that your partner got you a cold coke from the fridge. That is a really important point, some people have said yes and lost their licence because of misinterpreting this question. You must have tested within 2 hours of driving, not 30 mins as stated elsewhere on here. You must then test every 2 hours during your journey.

You must be 5 or above, if between 4 and 5 you must correct and if below 4 correct and wait 45 mins before driving because of the effect a low can have on your cognitive abilities.

Feel free to correct me on the above but this is my understanding from experience of going to insulin last year.

Ali

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I only informed the DVLA when I started Insulin Injections...was told I had to by the Nurse and also have to wear an SOS bracelet :(

You do not have to wear a bracelet...... she is talking nonsense. Go to the dvla page and read for yourself, the ignorance of health professionals is astounding. Good practice and legalities are 2 different things.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

If the DVLA says they are not interested as per their website, then you do not need to submit the form. Ring your insurers and tell them you checked the DVLA website and found out they do not need to know. Do not take the advice of healthcare professionals about driving, most have no idea. The DVLA rules are clear and specific.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, legally you only have to check if you are on insulin and views vary whether it's 4 or 5 mmol to drive ('five to drive'). I try to be over 5 to allow for changes during driving. I agree on insulin you need to test within 30 minutes of starting to drive and every 2 hours after that. Gliclazide can cause hypos so it's a good idea to test if you know it works well. It was waste of time for me as my pancreas was too far gone so I never needed to worry even on max dose.

Their guidelines are to test within 2 hours of driving then every 2 hours, not 30 mins. However..... good practice is a prudent thing!! I usually test if I have taken exercise even if within my 2 hours.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you have had a hypo.

Nope, unless you have had 2 hypos in 12 months requiring the assistance of another...... there is an important distinction here. Imagine their incoming mail if every time a hypo occurred somebody sent a form........

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads/123/documents/Safe Driving and the DVLA final050812.pdf

It might be clearer, it implies that it's only Class 2 licenses require the DVLA being informed.

There again, this next one is from the DVLA.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193489/INF188_2.pdf

This would imply that one hypo and you should inform the DVLA and the implication is that it doesn't matter if you don't feel a hypo, below 4 mmol/l is a hypo. (I hope I got the units right - old money anyway). In fact, not being aware of a hypo is to be taken very seriously.

There again, there's complying with the law and doing what's sensible.

It's not very clear until you look at the DVLA document, which hopefully is clear.

You are missing the actual definition, it is more than 1 severe hypo, defined as requiring assistance from another, not a normal hypo you feel, correct and carry on as per guidelines.

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you,all. I took the page from the DVLA website with me to show to my nurse and she agreed I didn't need to tell them unless I have a hypo which I can't do anything about and need a paramedic to help me. She also said that providing I have proof that I've been testing regularly and my bs being within the limits there shouldn't be a problem. So I shall keep testing and make sure I have my monitor etc with me on long journeys - one is coming up in 2 weeks. ☺

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you,all. I took the page from the DVLA website with me to show to my nurse and she agreed I didn't need to tell them unless I have a hypo which I can't do anything about and need a paramedic to help me. She also said that providing I have proof that I've been testing regularly and my bs being within the limits there shouldn't be a problem. So I shall keep testing and make sure I have my monitor etc with me on long journeys - one is coming up in 2 weeks. ☺

Keeping an eye on your levels is great but it is not a requirement of the DVLA for gliclazide users so use your strips to learn what spikes or plummets your levels and you should keep within a decent range anyway. :)

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Keeping an eye on your levels is great but it is not a requirement of the DVLA for gliclazide users so use your strips to learn what spikes or plummets your levels and you should keep within a decent range anyway. :)
Thank you. What a great forum this is, someone can always put you on the right path.☺

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Us type 1's have to test before driving and two hourly thereafter. If you have a hypo when driving you are a danger to yourself and others. A type1 recently received a custodial sentence for causing death by dangerous driving due to a hypo and not testing. The rules are a pain, but they are there for a reason.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Us type 1's have to test before driving and two hourly thereafter. If you have a hypo when driving you are a danger to yourself and others. A type1 recently received a custodial sentence for causing death by dangerous driving due to a hypo and not testing. The rules are a pain, but they are there for a reason.

Indeed but the OP is not T1 nor on insulin. Insulin is the DVLA trigger, not Gliclazide.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are reckless or unlucky you can still be guilty of a driving offence. Hypos and driving are bad. Big problem for T1s & others. Some recent examples: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/crime/diabetic-crash-driver-jailed-1-7081748 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30586720 - be careful & cautious - test!

Read my previous entries! We are talking DVLA requirements here versus good practice, I said earlier on that of course it is good practice to make sure you are safe to drive. My posts were an attempt to collate the requirements in one place having seen umpteen posts on here that were spouting mistruths. I give up.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, legally you only have to check if you are on insulin and views vary whether it's 4 or 5 mmol to drive ('five to drive'). I try to be over 5 to allow for changes during driving. I agree on insulin you need to test within 30 minutes of starting to drive and every 2 hours after that. Gliclazide can cause hypos so it's a good idea to test if you know it works well. It was waste of time for me as my pancreas was too far gone so I never needed to worry even on max dose.

whoa.. in the UK do you have a license that lists your medical condition as a diabetic? like, how would cop know ?