Varifocals

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've finally succumbed to advancing years and invested in a pair of varifocals. Slightly weird experience wearing them, and I'm still getting used to looking down and seeing a blur (particularly going down the stairs :eek:) but I'm sure I will get used to it.

However, I'm greatly excited by the fact that, when I'm driving, I can see the road ahead and then, when I look down, read the instruments on the dashboard. I'm easily pleased :).

The only down side is that I can no longer feign ignorance (because I can't read the speedo) when Mrs hay-char accuses me of driving too fast. Nothing's perfect.....

Reactions: 4 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will soon get used to them I've had them for about eight years now, a bit weird at first but I don't notice now.
I find them a great help at work as I no longer have to switch between normal and reading glasses however when I'm at home and reading a book I prefer my reading glasses as I don't have to look down my nose lol

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've nearly always been short sighted and in middle age ended up with three pairs of glasses - my normal general distance ones, reading glasses, and middle distance ones (fortunately part paid for by work!) for using at the computer monitor! Everyone I spoke to had bad things to say about varifocals, apart from one workmate, who told me his mum swore by them. So that's what I ended up with - they were an absolute pain in the neck to start with - I kept falling off the edge of pavements and they made me dizzy if I turned my head too quickly, and I ended up going back to the opticians, convinced they'd made a mistake with my prescription! :eek: But once I finally got used to them they were fine, and have been a godsend since then.

Robbity

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
I've had varifocals for a few years now. The thing I remember when I first got them was that nothing looked straight. Even the straight-edge I used at work looked like a banana!