Statins and diabetes

COZIN51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will not take statins everyone i know who has taken then has had side affects, my cholesterol is 4.0 and was advised to have statins - Why ???? I take 2 Soya Lecithin caps a dayI get from the health shop, it works for me maybe worth a try for you guys

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will not take statins everyone i know who has taken then has had side affects, my cholesterol is 4.0 and was advised to have statins - Why ???? I take 2 Soya Lecithin caps a dayI get from the health shop, it works for me maybe worth a try for you guys
The reason is that in the NHS the start point for diabetics is 4 and for non-diabetics it's 5. I assume the assumption is that diebetics will have bad blood sugar control and hence have sticky, blocked blood vessels. It's daft if your blood sugar control is good.

Reactions: 3 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Well, I for one, have had three kinds of statins pushed upon me by my doctor (first time before diagnosis). Whenever I myself chose to go off one statin because of side effects, he would push another brand and then another one – all of them resulting in intolerable side effects. (He is still pushing …)

After his latest pushing attempt, I chose to scour the Internet. And rather to my surprise and gratification I found some scientific studies about lipid numbers in women 'of a certain age'. These studies showed that the mortality of us 'elderly' women with somewhat higher lipid numbers were in fact lower than in 'elderly' women with very low lipid numbers. (Sorry, didn't save the links).

Well, for what it is worth, my Trig/HDL ratio is now 0,35 (should be < 1,3) on a low/lowish carb and highish fat diet.

And I have sworn to myself that I will never take another statin unless force-fed (in which case I would probably not know or care what is going on around me anyway …)

annelise

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you need to look at the breakdown...I'm on statin yet with weight loss, I had a cholesterol level of 2.8 yet my bloods were still triglyceride 1.5 and LDL 0.9. which are bad numbers
ldl too low and trigs too high..no one except me had low LDL :)

Janiept

Expert
Well, I for one, have had three kinds of statins pushed upon me by my doctor (first time before diagnosis). Whenever I myself chose to go off one statin because of side effects, he would push another brand and then another one – all of them resulting in intolerable side effects. (He is still pushing …)

After his latest pushing attempt, I chose to scour the Internet. And rather to my surprise and gratification I found some scientific studies about lipid numbers in women 'of a certain age'. These studies showed that the mortality of us 'elderly' women with somewhat higher lipid numbers were in fact lower than in 'elderly' women with very low lipid numbers. (Sorry, didn't save the links).

Well, for what it is worth, my Trig/HDL ratio is now 0,35 (should be < 1,3) on a low/lowish carb and highish fat diet.

And I have sworn to myself that I will never take another statin unless force-fed (in which case I would probably not know or care what is going on around me anyway …)

annelise
Thanks Annelise, another really interesting post and another good reason (for me) not to take statins.
These links that people have posted are great and I just wish we had time when we see doctors to show them what we have found. I wonder what they would think? I can guess what they would say. ;)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. That's strange as the link still works for me and is open; the joys of IT. My wife's liver reacted badly with serious pains within 2 days of starting the statins which shows how nasty they can be for some people and can't be called safe drug even though many, like me, have no apparent problems. We are also not told to take CoQ10 supplements which may be needed.

the only point I'd want to make is that the symptoms for your wife was in the first week. when I went onto metformin and statins, I had back flank pain for a week.
it is common with a lot of drugs to have side effects for the first month as the body adjusts.

depending on your wifes bloods, she may no have an urgent need and there is a good video I posted on this thread about that with diet control.
also statin is dose dependant, low dose has very few side effects and the benefits of vascular health is actually lower than a normal low dose.
my cardio guy said to save my money re q10

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol levels were 5.3 and 1.1 (don't know what that means) - apparently those readings are normally seen in men????.

My DN said she would put me on statins if it didn't come down to 5 (would prefer 4). Haven't had it rechecked yet, but if my Hba1C stays at what it is I intend to refuse them. I understand that high cholesterol and high blood sugars combined can possibly increase the risk - but that is not the case if my diabetes is still in remission at that point. I already have to take thyroxine for the rest of my life. And whilst they try to test in drug trials they can never really recreate how the combination of different drugs react together - some may even cancel out the benefits of each other never mind create side effects.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well what interesting reading ..I have been on statins for well over 5 years a year of being put on them I developed type 2.... I have taken myself off them to see if the blood sugars are better....we will see .... it is quite frightning to think statins can cause dementia ..... :wideyed:

lesdiab2015

annelise
I had a heart problem - 3 stents inserted, put on statins - many painfull side effects including not being able to walk - stopped taking them. I am now type 2. - not 100% sure if there is adirect correlation - so be it - I refuse to take statins.