Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kezza

i shall have to try and eat 3 meals a day then if it will get my results down, really didn't think it would make a difference but now I know.

I have never had quiche or muffins, but am willing to try them. I will hunt some recepies down in the morning. What kind of flavours do you make? I can only think of cheese and onion. I have had a fry up for my tea tonight and last night, don't think I could eat fried eggs on a morning though could manage poached, just no bread. I don't want to risk eating bread as I was eating a lot of it prior to my first postings so am sure that contributed to my very high levels.

There are lots of yummy recipe's in the low carb recipe thread, mug cakes yes I did say cake, muffins, almond and cheese bread, I promise you will be spoilt for choice and you will love them, just imagine muffin for breckie.

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

Cake? I like the sound of that, haha. Also cheese bread.

Going to have a look at that thread tomorrow, I don't think I've explored the forums enough. Mostly due to being so low in confidence and ashamed.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes guys but I had no choice as I couldn't take the tablets because of my IBS and Diverticular and Gall Bladder problems so it was straight onto insulin for me.
yes, it can happens that way, the priority has to be to get the BG under control for the long term benefit. you are better to go to insulin early, than drag it out till you get bad symptoms
you did the right thing:)
https://www.google.com.au/#q=T2+early+insulin

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Going to have a look at that thread tomorrow, I don't think I've explored the forums enough. Mostly due to being so low in confidence and ashamed.

Oh you are in for some treats !
And never, ever, feel ashamed . There's absolutely no need for it :)
Oh and on that note, don't be afraid of food. It does sound as if you need to eat more, not less to get those bloods down. It's all about what you eat, and pushing your own boundaries of new things. For many this has been a positive experience, as they have discovered a whole world of new tastes and skills. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and all of us had to start somewhere :)

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

You are in for treats, yes indeed, as @Heathenlass says never be ashamed of who you are or your diabetes. you never know maybe the family will be so jealous of the yummy stuff they will join you in your new Way Of Eating. and your meter will become your best friend,

scottie1

BG down to 15.8, 2 hours post meal, not as good as yesterday but considering I spiked, it's not too bad.

Thank you for your kind comments ladies, I can't wait to find these treats, have looked through 10 pages of that part of the forum and haven't found quiche, cake or muffin recipes yet, will look some more tomorrow.

I do feel ashamed of my weight, how I have let myself get like this, my very high BG's, previously not taken diabetes seriously (though I am now) but am determined to do better. A couple of years ago, I may have posted on here but after a week or so I would have given up. Not now! I'm learning all the time and enjoying it. I do feel guilty though, for taking up people's time and maybe I should have ended this thread but it is so very helpful and the people are supportive, kind, caring and amazing. I'd be lost without it,

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mike, regarding the high readings on waking that were in the high readings, the only thing I can think of is that I was drinking effervescent vitamin C tablets, could this be why? I didn't have one before bed last night. I have cut sugar completely out of my diet, as I just couldn't limit it so thought it better to go cold turkey.

Good question ... wish I had an answer but I'm very risk adverse to stuff that I think might not be right and that would be off my list. But that's just me

scottie1

Oh you are in for some treats !
And never, ever, feel ashamed . There's absolutely no need for it :)
Oh and on that note, don't be afraid of food. It does sound as if you need to eat more, not less to get those bloods down. It's all about what you eat, and pushing your own boundaries of new things. For many this has been a positive experience, as they have discovered a whole world of new tastes and skills. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and all of us had to start somewhere :)

Signy

I agree about eating more, but I can't just pick the easy option. It has to require more effort in that I need to learn to cook and bake in more depth and just not pick the easy options, which is what I have been doing. I have to try new foods and flavours, and not be afraid about it (which I am). This is a very positive experience, you are right, and I am growing stronger all the time and taking responsibility for myself.

M

mojo37

You lucky thing, I asked the nurse the other week. I said I wont to be proactive, and find out which and what foods I can eat. Why cant I have them. She said you'll have to take it up with the government.
So true I work for the NHS and can't get testing strips " the quote I got was we don't really recomend self testing ..." yep we all know its about COST . So re Scottie you we very lucky that you're GP gave u testing strips with a phone from your husband .I buy mine on ebay 15 quid for 50 but can only afford to test once a day .

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
So true I work for the NHS and can't get testing strips " the quote I got was we don't really recomend self testing ..." yep we all know its about COST . So re Scottie you we very lucky that you're GP gave u testing strips with a phone from your husband .I buy mine on ebay 15 quid for 50 but can only afford to test once a day .

Hi,
Your right, testing can work out very expensive.
In your experience testing once per day, is it best to test at the same time each day, or different times. Does it make any difference.
I was testing with husbands blood pressure monitor yesterday. My heart was racing away when I got up. Bp 145/103. Pulse 146 it took 3 hours before it came down.
I said forget bs yesterday. Better today. Lol

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about eating more, but I can't just pick the easy option. It has to require more effort in that I need to learn to cook and bake in more depth and just not pick the easy options, which is what I have been doing. I have to try new foods and flavours, and not be afraid about it (which I am). This is a very positive experience, you are right, and I am growing stronger all the time and taking responsibility for myself.

Your getting stronger by the day Scottie, well done.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A few have been down the eBay "£15 for 50 strips" route, but many of us have settled on the SD Codefree meter, from HomeHealth - http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm. The strips are £7 for 50, or if you can buy 5 pots at a time, they come down to just under £6 for 50, making that a far more affordable option. The meter, with a few strips is a one-off £12. It's worth considering if it allows you to test a bit more, for a while at least.

M

mojo37

Hi,
Your right, testing can work out very expensive.
In your experience testing once per day, is it best to test at the same time each day, or different times. Does it make any difference.
I was testing with husbands blood pressure monitor yesterday. My heart was racing away when I got up. Bp 145/103. Pulse 146 it took 3 hours before it came down.
I said forget bs yesterday. Better today. Lol
Hi Millysue ..yes I usually test first thing in the morning ...tho sometimes a go mad lol and test 2 hrs after eating ...when I'm being healthy and cutting my carbs down to 100g a day my BG is usually around 5.4.

M

mojo37

A few have been down the eBay "£15 for 50 strips" route, but many of us have settled on the SD Codefree meter, from HomeHealth - http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm. The strips are £7 for 50, or if you can buy 5 pots at a time, they come down to just under £6 for 50, making that a far more affordable option. The meter, with a few strips is a one-off £12. It's worth considering if it allows you to test a bit more, for a while at least.
Thanks I think I will buy a different meter .. I was given one from the diabetic nurse last yr a bayer contour ( but no strips lol ) the one u have mentioned sounds much better ...thanks again :)

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting BG 17.2.

Hi Scottie

When you saying "fasting" do you mean when you get up or just before you have your first meal of the day? If it is the latter I would suggest you test as soon as you get up and then before you eat and see if there is any difference. Just a thought!!

scottie1

Hi Scottie

When you saying "fasting" do you mean when you get up or just before you have your first meal of the day? If it is the latter I would suggest you test as soon as you get up and then before you eat and see if there is any difference. Just a thought!!

Hello Jude
No, am testing when I get up. Was 17.2 this morning and then 16.4 before food. :)