Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

BG post food 19.1, how can that be right? Only had ham and Ryvitas again!! Unless the boiled ham is spiking me, as results post this meal yesterday was high, though I put it down to the prawn cocktail I ate. Can increasing the amount of boiled ham I have make sure a difference, as I have been having it for a couple of weeks and never had results like this, yesterday was the first time I had one slice per Ryvita instead of one slice split between 3 Ryvitas.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was up at 3.20am vomiting and had to struggle to eat at all. Now wish I hadn't.

scottie1

According to My Fitness Pal, the total number of calories for the ham I ate is 117 and no carbs!

Have had 3 x 500ml of still, bottled water and one cup of caffine-free tea.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to My Fitness Pal, the total number of calories for the ham I ate is 117 and no carbs!
same advice as before..when you're hungry your liver dumps..you aren't eating enough..have a real meal and not just a piece of ham on carbycardboard

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @jack412 You could have your ham for breakfast, or any cold meat if that is what you like. Then you could have something more substantial for your lunch. Skipping meals is not a wise choice for diabetics.

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

I am finding it hard today as have been vomiting, so no food is appealing at the moment, but i thought it better to eat something, rather than nothing at all. Otherwise I was going to have scrambled eggs for breakfast.

My body is shutting down, I can't sleep, I hurt all over, I am not getting my periods, I can't go to the toilet (sorry). Am not testing again today so will start afresh tomorrow and hopefully I will feel better and my stomach will have passed the 'upset' stage.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am finding it hard today as have been vomiting, so no food is appealing at the moment, but i thought it better to eat something, rather than nothing at all. Otherwise I was going to have scrambled eggs for breakfast.

My body is shutting down, I can't sleep, I hurt all over, I am not getting my periods, I can't go to the toilet (sorry). Am not testing again today so will start afresh tomorrow and hopefully I will feel better and my stomach will have passed the 'upset' stage.
get to A&E now..you may be late onset T1 and the vomiting is from ketones and early DKA which can put you into a coma.
stop what ever you are doing, if you have no transport, ring an ambulance, it really is that important

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry to read that Scottie. You shouldn't be waiting till the 16th. to see a doctor. You need to see one today. My honest opinion is you are just not eating enough and your body thinks you are starving, but in case it is more serious I don't think you should be waiting. Losing your periods is a very common symptom of semi-starvation.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with jack, I have been wondering if you were maybe late onset T1 as well. Please get to A&E asap and let us know how you are when you can.

scottie1

get to A&E now..you may be late onset T1 and the vomiting is from ketones and early DKA which can put you into a coma.
stop what ever you are doing, if you have no transport, ring an ambulance, it really is that important

My husband and children are also vomiting so I think it's a bug as my daughter was sent home from school on Friday with it.. Lots of children have had it at school so we are not the only ones. I hurt all over as I have neuropathy, currently taking meds for it but these need to be looked at again as they are not helping a great deal.

The GP tested for ketones and said it was fine.

I am going to ring for an emergency appointment tomorrow. Husband says it is imperative.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well yes it could well be a tummy bug if your family have it too. When did your GP test your ketones?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going now as you are scaring me.
I'm sorry to worry you and I didn't know your family is down with the bug, so odds are that's what it is with you..with bugs your BG will rise because you aren't very well too.
it's just that you are having BG problems and as said not getting the care you need yet, in general with diabetes, it's better safe than sorry, so I would probably still go to even a walk in Dr and get checked

scottie1

BG gone down to 16.1 1 hour post meal, so may come down more in another hour.

Have asked on another part of the forum for advice regarding almond flour and recepies for Breakfast Muffins and Pancakes.

Also need to ask about crustless quiches.

There is no point doing all this when I am going hungry and having high readings just because I am not eating. I've searched for cereals but there is none within the carb range I would need it to be. So, alternatives have to be considered.

Also, have spent time reading about Type 1 and Late Onset, I am not ruling it out and will discuss this with the GP. I am hoping to get an appointment tomorrow, instead of waiting until the 16th. Our surgery is useless, when you try to make an appointment you can only book one miles in advance but if you ring at certain times of the day, you may be able to get seen that same day. When I call they brush me off, so husband will be phoning in the morning. If nothing else I want my Gliclozide changing to another drug. Though even the double dose of that doesn't appear to be working.

Had steak, mushrooms and plenty of salad for dinner and though it was hard to eat it all, I think my stomach may have enjoyed it.

Thank you all for your concern. Much appreciated and if not acted on, it has certainly been listened to.

Reactions: 5 people

scottie1

same advice as before..when you're hungry your liver dumps..you aren't eating enough..have a real meal and not just a piece of ham on carbycardboard

Apologies, I thought a liver dump was only upon waking, I didn't realise that it generally could be due to lack of food.

scottie1

Scottie,
Just try to keep fluids going. Small amounts of water.
It's horrible when all the family feel ill at the same time. :-(

It's worse for the children, daughter seems to be the worst, she has been vomiting since Friday and is still going. No school for her tomorrow.

I can't stand being sick, it's the most awful thing.

We are all drinking water, so will have to stock up ahead of next weeks shopping.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
It's worse for the children, daughter seems to be the worst, she has been vomiting since Friday and is still going. No school for her tomorrow.

I can't stand being sick, it's the most awful thing.

We are all drinking water, so will have to stock up ahead of next weeks shopping.
Hi scottie , sorry to here your sick ,get well soon ((((hugs))))

Reactions: 2 people