Snacks

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What other types of snacks besides nuts can we eat?

I eat alot of almond and cashew nuts. Is it ok?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Cheese, olives, I sometimes have sliced raw carrot and a bit of spicey humous. I know other people that eat raw veg' cauliflower and brocoli for a bit of variation.

You may be able to get away with chocolate if it's over 70% cocoa (some say 80%) - and not too expensive if you shop at Aldi or Lidl.

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi urbanracer,

Thanks. Do you mean olive in one whole? What type of cheese?

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't eat nuts as I'm allergic so I have to be a bit more creative with my snacks (I don't eat many to be honest)
Olives, Pumpkin Seeds (which I'm not allergic to), cheese (mild cheddar) pork scratchings, sugar free jelly, oopsie rolls and home made low carb ice cream are what I turn to for comfort food :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well any cheese really, it's fat, so no carbs. Personally I stay clear of overly processed cheeses as i don't even like the texture. But not good to eat a lot of fat if you have not reduced your carbs! I assume you have reduced your carbs if you're eating nuts and not biscuits?

Olives, I eat quite a lot of. There is a good selection of marinated fresh olives in most supermarkets now. I love the ones with chillies. Olive oil is supposed to be good for you after all. I sometimes eat them with a couple of small crackers. I found some in Asda that are only 4g each. Don't forget to factor in your activity levels, my employer has a big site so I'm walking from building to building (farthest one is 20mins on foot from my office at a reasonable pace! ) and making a point of using the stairs instead of the lift etc.

I also keep a few grapes in my lunch box at work and I just eat a couple at various times during the day, Too many at one time will send me high but I'm also trying to make sure that I stay above 5 before I climb in the car at home time. You may have different criteria.

I can also get away with an Alpen Light cereal bar which has 11g of Carbs per bar but I might just eat half with my morning coffee and half in the afternoon etc.

I use mixed insulin and don't basal/bolus so if you're on a different regime then take this in to account with anything you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes wrap a lump of cheddar in ham and spread with mayonnaise for a snack! Kale or beetroot crisps easily made - google them for recipe - make a good snack too. Lots of nuts if I'm at home but can't take into work as I'm a teacher and any sort of nuts are banned from school! A few blueberries if I'm needing something a bit sweeter. I'm going to try and make these biscuits which have 1g carbs each apparently! http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/butter_cookies.html

Reactions: 4 people

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi urban racer and Mongolia,

Thanks. Yes I have reduced eating carbs. But I still crave for sweet things and crackers etc

I don't know whether the place I am living have these olives. Maybe I can try to look for it.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Ryvita Crackerbread (3.5g carbs) and spread with either peanut butter or Philadelphia

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What other types of snacks besides nuts can we eat?

I eat alot of almond and cashew nuts. Is it ok?
Cashew are quite high in carbs and almonds aren't exactly carb free either so it might be a good idea to eat proper food like in proper, filling meals two or three times a day and cut down on snacking.

Good snacks are also avocados and eggs.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
yes i do the eggs but i dont eat the yolk yakkkk cheese and i make peanut butter cookies for sweet stuff, gone of jellys and eat betties if in season