My Fingers are a mess!

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
I work up to 9 days in a row driving mainly so I am having to test very regularly every two hours while driving before meals and when ever I feel low. My stabby pen thingy not sure what exact name for it is, is set as low as possible and I move fingers each test. My fingers look horrid tons of little scabby dots. Was wondering what i could do to reduce how bad these look. As they are annoying me. Making me feel a little self concious.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get another pen, I use the accu chek range I prefer the simple softclix [contact accu and ask for them to send you one out free]
http://www.accu-chek.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category_303_303_-1_303_303_Y_Products

I assume you are spiking the sides of your finger pad, you can also spike the palm pads for an accurate reading, touch your tip of little finger and thumb together ..you will see what I mean easily by the 2palm pads
google.. alternative sites blood glucose

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have a fast clix one came with my meter been doing sides as having issues typing when I have done pads ill have to have a google like suggested. Thanks have given me a few ideas my fast clix is far better than the nexus one I had even on its lowest setting it used to cause bruises needless to say didnt have it for long.

Sandrao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick question, do you re use your lancets or change every test? I've been changing every test as new to all this and thought it was safer.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Use about a teaspoon
of coconut oil warmed in palm of hands and just really just rubbed in to all of finger tips and hands. Works fantastic for
Me.

Reactions: 2 people

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My lancets come in a little drum thingy just flick between em but I tend to change it every 5 or so tests. ish but always change after a day 5 tests or not. But other people I know just change daily no matter how many tests that they do.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick question, do you re use your lancets or change every test? I've been changing every test as new to all this and thought it was safer.
J/K,,once a year whether it needs it or not....the more jagged the lancet the easier I bleed :)

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always had the same issues as you but never managed to sort it. If I don't use a particular finger for a while it seems to go away.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the same problem as I test 15-20 times a day (OCD probably lol). For the past few years I've only used 3 fingers so that only those 3 fingers look bad.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I work up to 9 days in a row driving mainly so I am having to test very regularly every two hours while driving before meals and when ever I feel low. My stabby pen thingy not sure what exact name for it is, is set as low as possible and I move fingers each test. My fingers look horrid tons of little scabby dots. Was wondering what i could do to reduce how bad these look. As they are annoying me. Making me feel a little self concious.

I always make sure my hands are warm, alternate side of fingers, really makes a difference. google a few sites lots of tips. I test less now but for about 3 months was requested to test about 6 times a day. Hope it eases up soon for you.:)

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
ever thought the blood on the end of your finger tip looks like a ladybird?

Picture-44-300x196.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
oooo im so self conscious because of the tips of my fingers too. ***!!! lol no offense but maybe its time to grow sum.

Not particularly productive post. If you dont have anything nice or helpful to say dont say anything at all. My hands are heavily scared thanks to a work accident I have a 2 inch long scar running from my first finger towards my wrist and a penny size scar between little finger and wrist courtesy of my own stupidity and some 3 phase electrics so unfortunately I am very conscious of the appearance of my hand. It may sound like a small and trivial to some but to me it is not.

Reactions: 6 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Not particularly productive post. If you dont have anything nice or helpful to say dont say anything at all. My hands are heavily scared thanks to a work accident I have a 2 inch long scar running from my first finger towards my wrist and a penny size scar between little finger and wrist courtesy of my own stupidity and some 3 phase electrics so unfortunately I am very conscious of the appearance of my hand. It may sound like a small and trivial to some but to me it is not.
sorry if it sounded harsh fella, sounds nasty, i have the same pin pricks all over every finger, i test about every two hours too, they can get raw, but i have a lot of other things that are worse but if they are as bad as you say you may need to change the needle more often. Ill try and be more productive next time. Oops. o_O

The worst thing i've done is using my right index finger to test as im a graphic designer and use the mouse all day, if i test on this finger its ouch! ouch! ouch! all day as i right click, so i avoid that finger, i guess if your driving all day you use them all. maybe michael jackson plasters on each finger tip could be an option. ;) I'm not being very helpful, i'll shut up. Ziiiiiip.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My fingers can be horrendous too! I was taught when I was first diagnosed to avoid my index fingers so I didnt test them. However this seems to be old advice so all fingers are in use now!
I find the accu check multiclix better than my fastclix one, it's a bit kinder on my little fingers!
I also find that when I use fake tan it makes my fingers look even worse - but this may not be a problem you are encountering! ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sorry if it sounded harsh fella, sounds nasty, i have the same pin pricks all over every finger, i test about every two hours too, they can get raw, but i have a lot of other things that are worse but if they are as bad as you say you may need to change the needle more often. Ill try and be more productive next time. Oops. o_O

The worst thing i've done is using my right index finger to test as im a graphic designer and use the mouse all day, if i test on this finger its ouch! ouch! ouch! all day as i right click, so i avoid that finger, i guess if your driving all day you use them all. maybe michael jackson plasters on each finger tip could be an option. ;) I'm not being very helpful, i'll shut up. Ziiiiiip.

Sorry didnt mean to sound snappy just a bit touchy when it comes to my hand :p . I had 250v dc run through my hand clamped it solid as a rock to the spanner I was using at the time my complete body stuck solid for a fair while after only let go when the capacitor had fully discharged about 30 seconds later. But still hear and you learn from your mistakes :)

kevin1959

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok folks. Here's a strange one.
Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter!!
There was a big rush on this a few years ago when a paper said it was great for face wrinkles and cheap (about £2 a tub). My girlfriend got some for her face and I tried it on my incredible dry feet. Found it really helps with my fingertips as well (test 4 to 6 times a time)
If it helps baby bum rash...........

Also make sure I do my night test before putting it on as don't know the sugar content!

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Sorry didnt mean to sound snappy just a bit touchy when it comes to my hand :p . I had 250v dc run through my hand clamped it solid as a rock to the spanner I was using at the time my complete body stuck solid for a fair while after only let go when the capacitor had fully discharged about 30 seconds later. But still hear and you learn from your mistakes :)

Hey no probs. That sound like something out of a Mary Shelly story, ouch!!! i bet you lit up like a christmas tree. I watched my dad fly across the room once when he changed a plug socket that was interesting, funny looking back, we laugh now but he was pretty shook up. Every time i change the halogen ceiling lights in my house i think i'm going to die and we have about 15 of them :arghh:

Back on subject...my fingers where getting so sore last week i was considering trying my toes, just a thought :confused:

Jeanie B.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What you all need is the Abbott Freestyle Libre for checking without finger pricks!! Just got mine and it is really great, as you can scan the sensor as many times as you like, wherever you like, and it gives you a reading that tells you whether your levels are going up or down or steady - absolutely ideal for driving. I swipe just before I set out in the car, and if the levels look like they may be going low I have a small glass of orange juice to be safe. Give it a go and check out the Freestyle Libre website for more info.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have the Accu-Chek FastClix which came with my Accu-Chek Mobile monitor and also I have the Accu-Chek Softclix which is great too. I use Cuticura handcream as I suffer with really dry skin on my hands which seems to help. Must try that Coconut oil trick! :) Hope you get some relief from the caluses, they're not nice. :(