Milk?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't realise how many carbs milk contained. For some reason I had it in my head that it was about 3% (3 grams per 100ml) but now I realise it's more like 5% (I think at some stage I must have mixed up protein levels with carb levels here).

So now I feel like a dumb ****. I've been drinking a least 600 mL of milk a day and now realise I've been have a fair bit more carbs that I thought I was having. :(

Anyway, just wondering how much milk are other low carbers here consuming?

Reactions: 4 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tea and cofee only,,,,works out about 10 gram of carb a day last time i checked

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Only in tea or in some diary based products. Never drink a glass of milk, haven't done for decades.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
id luv a pint of cold strawberry milkshake but me meter says no :(

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I've noticed that quite a lot of low carbers shun milk. Now I've finally bothered to read the nutrition label (and correct my error) I'm starting to understand why.

At the moment I'm thinking of cutting back to one glass per day. For some reason I find it a real hunger killer to finish off a meal, which is why I'd been having two large glasses (and occasionally 3) per day.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I gave up milk, I have black coffee and just a squeeze of lemon in tea. But I need the calcium so I have unsweetened Almond milk, it only has 0·8g carbs in 200ml, 29 calories and is packed with calcium.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Very little milk in a day now as I just put a 'spit' in tea or coffee. I used to make my porridge with SS milk but when I found porridge spiked me I've not had any since.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Where are the other milk drinkers? I feel so lonely here. :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lactofree milk has around half the carbs as standard milk.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not me. Just a dash in my tea. I have cream in coffee. (coffee with cream is a hunger breaker and also a comfort drink.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cream, even watered down cream and use it as milk [they homogenise here, so it mixes well]

Reactions: 2 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you make coffee at home (using a machine) then you could go for a shorter drink like a piccolo/cortado (30-60mls espresso + 60-90mls milk or a flat white (about 150mls milk)

I have not had any spikes from these drinks with those coffee:milk ratio's

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my coffee with cream, my Earl Grey with a tiny bit of milk, and that's it. :)

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink full fat Lactofree milk, 100ml (2.2grms carbs) in the morning with my coffee. And that's it.

If I'm out and fancy a coffee I will have an espresso with cream instead. But found lactofree sachets yesterday to carry around with me (20ml) so I might stop having the cream in my coffee as I am not really keen on it, I don't hate it, but I prefer the milk.

Occasionally, I would use the same amount to make Chia seed pudding (plus water).

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, never been a milk drinker. Only ever use it for cooking and a splash of skimmed milk in my tea