What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2-egg frittata with mushroom, tomato & bacon bits
L: cancelled due to unexpected visitors. We had no biscuits to offer them :( I made a "diabetic" carrot & Bramley apple cake which hasn't spiked me in the past but I'm not handing that round to all and sundry I'm afraid :stop:
D: casserole of belly pork with roast celeriac & steamed veg. I cut the rind off the pork strips and roast them separately as a crunchy starter.

Reactions: 12 people
S

Sable_Jan

I haven't got the hang of coconut flour yet. It needs more liquid than the other alternative flours. The coconut taste is very persistent but obviously there's a knack.
I made some very nice pancakes with it. The little ones. Was rather like coconut cake. I found when I made biscuits they were very dry

Reactions: 4 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
weird one today.

B: bacon and eggs and latte

L: carvery, where for some reason I went CARB MAD. Mash, roasties, yorkie pud, mashed swede, peas, gravy. Water to drink.

It was bizarre. I just watched myself pile the carbs onto the plate and sit down and eat. Wasn't hungry. Wasnt angry. Wasnt stressed or PMT or hypoing, just a bit tired from only 5 hrs sleep last night.
Enjoyed it very much.
Came home, tested blood. 7.8 at one hour, 7.5 at 2 hours, had a little snooze on couch, 5.4 at 4 hours. And it wasn't a carb stupor, either. Just a perfectly normal sunday afternoon set of extra zzzzzs.

Can someone please tell me what just happened?

D: will have to be zero carbs. maybe cheese.

I wonder if/when the cravings will strike.

I missed your post that was previous to mine today, but you made me giggle, it might have been the moon today or something odd like that lol. I did get the carb stupor, it was definitely it although my husband put it down to wine, didn't give into it at all. Just out of curiosity (as I'm gathering info) what's your BMI?

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that once I had a dextrose tablet I felt OK.
I've gone from having a very high carb diet, to a low one.
I' m OK after tea its just seems to be after breakfast.
In that case you may need to adjust your medication dosage

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't find the original post, but I copied the recipe -

Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz (300g) ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs (155g) grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

It's the first time I've had something to spread butter on since Christmas, I was a very happy bunny yesterday!

I really fancy making this .... Any idea what I could use instead of the eggs?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Not saying what I had to eat yesterday, ended up binging on all sorts of nasty stuff, and made myself ill, carbs are a menace :-( Must get back on the wagon again, starting today. The good news is I have started Forxiga so hopefully that will help with my weight issue. So far have had 2 coffees with cream
What Sable said... :) Tomorrow is another day....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
You could try adding psyllium - it gives a texture... and perhaps a tip-of-teaspoon xanthan gum.... the psyllium is a bit like flax.... if you look on the net you can google eggless low-carb bread I imagine... I'll have a look later if I get time... got builders in.. :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
weird one today.

B: bacon and eggs and latte

L: carvery, where for some reason I went CARB MAD. Mash, roasties, yorkie pud, mashed swede, peas, gravy. Water to drink.

It was bizarre. I just watched myself pile the carbs onto the plate and sit down and eat. Wasn't hungry. Wasnt angry. Wasnt stressed or PMT or hypoing, just a bit tired from only 5 hrs sleep last night.
Enjoyed it very much.
Came home, tested blood. 7.8 at one hour, 7.5 at 2 hours, had a little snooze on couch, 5.4 at 4 hours. And it wasn't a carb stupor, either. Just a perfectly normal sunday afternoon set of extra zzzzzs.

Can someone please tell me what just happened?

D: will have to be zero carbs. maybe cheese.

I wonder if/when the cravings will strike.
Odd, but nice, because your numbers were still ok.. cool.. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
8.4 B 4 mushrooms, 4 streaky bacon & 2 fried eggs all in coconut oil - post 6.1

6.0 L 3 sausages, burger few fried onions bit of salad , 4 raspberries 3 strawberries with dollop of clotted cream - post 7.8
snack of few pumpkin, sunflower & almonds
7.2 D som tam, few more berries & cream - post tbc
3 cups of green tea and lots of water
BG always higher at weekends as not as active as when at work so looking forward to next weeks results
Good luck next week... I hope your wife is feeling more the thing after her upset...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've ordered some ground almonds so will try this when they arrive. I wonders what it would be like with coconut flour
If you use coconut flour remember that it sucks up liquid like a hoover and add accordingly... :)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

I believe soaked chia seeds provide the right "gloopiness" you'd need to do an online search, possibly for "egg replacement chia"? As I haven't used them that way.....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I believe soaked chia seeds provide the right "gloopiness" you'd need to do an online search, possibly for "egg replacement chia"? As I haven't used them that way.....
Off course, good thought Sable... forgotten about chia...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I missed your post that was previous to mine today, but you made me giggle, it might have been the moon today or something odd like that lol. I did get the carb stupor, it was definitely it although my husband put it down to wine, didn't give into it at all. Just out of curiosity (as I'm gathering info) what's your BMI?

Its about 43 I think. Was over 50 at one point. Heading downwards at a pace to compete with glaciers

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast boiled egg spelt toast
Lunch bacon mushroom frittata salad coleslaw
Snack decaff cappuccino and too much dark chocolate
Dinner pub quiz so steak salad and few chips from communal bowl

Reactions: 5 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
B: yoghurt cream and berries
Full of cold today and I've not felt very hungry so I just had veg soup for lunch
Can't decide what to have later, probably just some ham and cheese.

Had my diabetes check with the nurse today I have PUT WEIGHT ON!!!!! How's that happened???? I've kept between 70-90 carbs daily, and frequently under 50. Just my luck, tsk! Fed up :-(

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yoghurt cream and berries
Full of cold today and I've not felt very hungry so I just had veg soup for lunch
Can't decide what to have later, probably just some ham and cheese.

Had by diabetes check with the nurse today I have PUT WEIGHT ON!!!!! How's that happened???? I've kept between 70-90 carbs daily, and frequently under 50. Just my luck, tsk! Fed up :-(

I am no expert but I think insulin can cause weight gain. Hopefully a more knowledgable type 1 or insulin using type 2 might be able to help.

Not sure if it's ok to link to this here but this seemed a simple explanation of the issue - if not just google insulin and weight gain.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/type-2-diabetes/avoid-insulin-related-weight-gain.aspx

Reactions: 8 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Day 4 - all good so far
Went to bed at 7.8 and woke with BG of 8.8

B 4 rashers of bacon, 2 metformin post 7.6
L wilted cabbage with dash of fish sauce and knob of butter, 4 small pieces of coconut, pre 5.2, post 6.8
D Sea Bass and salad with capers and blob of tartare sauce, strawberries & clotted cream, 2 metformin pre 6.1, post tbc
4 cups of green tea and plenty of water
Bit more yoga tonight, loving this new me:)

Reactions: 7 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - Italian salami mini crustless
L - BBQ chicken breast and Mediterranean salad
D - cod in a white wine & lemon sauce with butternut squash, and brocoli - it was a little strange
S - slice of stracciatella cake

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Allbran, ss milk, boiled egg.
L. Chicken salad, cauli tortilla.
D. Chilli con carne minus the kidney beans, cauli rice, cauli tortilla. Small bar 85% choc. Bg post 2h 6.3

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.