Insulin and work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just wondered how people store there insulin while there at work, newly diagnosed and due to start back to work next week. They said im not allowed to keep my insulin in the collegue fridge in a box with my name and labeled insulin as it is a hazard to other people. Wondering how else to store it
Thank you x

Reactions: 2 people

bronte slack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no other way, i work in a clothes shop and i keep my insulin and blood meter on the shop floor with me. But that is only because our staff room door gets jammed. It is not right that they are refusing. However i would recommend that if you are trying to keep the insulin cool and they don't allow it in the fridge to buy a Frio pack to keep it cool.
sorry if this wasn't much help.
Bronte

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That helps alot thank you i work in a supermarket i can understand abput keeping my needles in my locker but dont see why im not allowed to keep the insulin in the fridge thanks a mill it helps alot x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, if it's the insulin you use in a pen on a day to day basis, there is nothing wrong with keeping it in your locker or on your person. It doesn't need to be in the fridge. Just be aware that out of the fridge you will need to replace it after 28 days.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@stephanie_jane ,
@tim2000s has this right, when I was on insulin I was told to keeep it cool, rather than refrigerated. The refrigerated "stung" a bit more too!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
doesn't need to be in fridge for daily use............

as mentioned above, out of the fridge then it will only be good for 28 days or so.........

no one will usually have insulin for that long anyway....:)

Reactions: 2 people

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once the seal is broken it doesn't matter if you keep it in the fridge or not, unless of course you live in the very hot climate ;) . Only Levemir is good for 6 weeks once opened. For the rest is 28 days - I'm not sure about older insulins. On one occasion I kept my Lantus in the fridge while using it and it became ineffective in less than 28 days, so it doesn't matter really.

BecciAllgood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work at a supermarket too and I just keep it in my locker with my blood meter. However your work should not be saying no to that! It is not a safety hazard at all, they cannot inject themselves with it with no needle and it takes a lot to shatter them.. You could technically say something about that as in theory it is disability discrimination, they wouldnt refuse the building of a ramp for a wheelchair user so why can't you keep your insulin in the fridge.

Reactions: 7 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What nonsense, what harm can come by keeping it in the fridge, as long as there's not a needle attached it can't possible harm anyone! I keep a spare disposable Humalog pen at work in the fridge and carry my day to day one in a rather nice ted baker pencil case :) ...........every cloud and any excuse to shop :yuck: