Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mike, thank you.

Yes, I am t2 but my go says I don't need to test, so I gave up doing it. Apparently, it is not necessary as I am not on insulin, just meteor on 2 x 500 twice a day and glimiperide 2mg 1 x day.

My last Hb1ac was up at 6"7 but I know why, too much time in Norfolk and not watching what I ate!

One question, when you were diagnosed, were you given the 'give up smoking, coke, sugar etc' talk? I was and the worst thing was I gave up smoking in 1985, sugar in about 1965 along with coke. My other half was there and said, for me but she doesn't do any of those.

Assuming you do or did work, did you have work friends watching you eat chocolate and giving you a lecture or tutting at you? In my case, it was an ex nurse, who I had to show a web page showing how things had changed!

Oh well. I guess it happens to everyone.

Barb

Your advice could not have been more incorrect. You must test for all meals to see what agrees and what does not agree with you in terms of blood sugar levels. How would you ever know otherwise where your BS levels stand? Forgive me being blunt but THIS is you and it is your body. The advice you've been given is questionable at best ..... and I'm sorely tempted to say a LOT LOT worse than that.

Me? Self control ...... completely ....... if I know it might cause me harm, then I will not eat it. Period. Better a good life than a great life cut short.

Will never relax from that .....

My Best

Mike

PS. Others will comment about meter and strips Barb :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Barbja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your advice could not have been more incorrect. You must test for all meals to see what agrees and what does not agree with you in terms of blood sugar levels. How would you ever know otherwise where your BS levels stand? Forgive me being blunt but THIS is you and it is your body. The advice you've been given is questionable at best ..... and I'm sorely tempted to say a LOT LOT worse than that.

Me? Self control ...... completely ....... if I know it might cause me harm, then I will not eat it. Period. Better a good life than a great life cut short.

Will never relax from that .....

My Best

Mike

PS. Others will comment about meter and strips Barb :)

Barbja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I had this chat sometime ago, I was at one pint doing my bs levels and keeping an eye on things but it seems as I am t2 I don't need/qualify for test strips. I do remember being at work and not feeling well, so out of curiosity I did a test - it was under 4, whoops, luckily I had some sugar in my handbag and that sorted it out.

Now, I rely on me and how I feel about myself, if I think I am getting edgey, my word for what is possibly low bs I grab sugar or something sweet. Not the best way to cope but I will go back to my diabetic nurse and speak to her.

Thanks for the advice

Barb

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No worries Barb.

Please do and keep us posted

Mike

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been on the forum a while but thought id give this a go..

- Include a photo here if you wish to. On my profile
- What is your name? Alex
- How old are you? 27
- Are you male or female? Last time I checked..female
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? North Yorkshire
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Loud, funny, nice
- Do you have any pets? Not yet but im about to get a dog
- Microsoft or Apple? Hmm toughy.. mac over pc but android over iphone
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? F1 - huge fan. Obviously I dont play this. I like cycling.
- Do you get angry easily? Too easily.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yes ;)
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Ill be here for ever..
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Pop rock.
- What is your favourite flag? Random erm..
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Very in love.
- Ever used fake tan? We wont talk about this.
- Which countries have you visited? Never been out of the UK.
- Favourite city? Edinburgh
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Walking dead, big bang theory, ghost hunters and ghost adventures..list goes on
- List your five favourite films. Scream, Shawshank redemption, princess bride, lethal weapon and die hard
- Are you wealthy? I do okay.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Web development / online marketing
- List the subjects you study/have studied. As above.
- What do you like most about yourself? That im now confident. Very bullied in school but now I dont take that kind of abuse easily.
- What do you like least about yourself? Diabetes!! Also im a bit lazy.

Reactions: 4 people

ChloeOlivia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
- What is your name?
Chloe
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
UK
- Which city/area do you live in?
Wales
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Final year university student, working in PR and marketing. I also run a blog and I created a campaign called Take Back What's Yours which is all about taking back something which belongs to you. It supports anti-bullying, diabetes, anxiety, self-esteem and more.

Reactions: 4 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello Chloe , welcome to the forum. Have a good read around and ask questions .

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
I am sure some info in these responses could provide information for identity theft

Paul840

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.. Been Type 2 for just over a year.. So far so good.. Been dealing with it since diagnosis...

mpw83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- Include a photo here if you wish to.
10541484_10154433146310258_3034269698070029669_n.jpg

- What is your name? Michael
- How old are you? 31
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? North Yorkshire and Essex
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Nuts, Nuts, and ....... Nuts
- Do you have any pets? yes. 11 year old Border Collie called Fizz (see the pic, above)
- Microsoft or Apple? either
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Archery, Martial arts (used to study Karate but now Judo/JuJitsu)
- Do you get angry easily? Depends on how annoying the other person is
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? 3 tattoo`s at the moment -L outer wrist, R forearm and R outer arm - currently planning another 5 tattoos
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Pink Floyd, Led Zepp, Hendrix
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Union flag (UK)
- Ever gone camping? Every weekend during the summer in ww2 battledress
- Ever been in love? Yes, until she left me for dead (literally)
- Ever used fake tan? hell no!
- Which countries have you visited? USA, Finland x2, France, Germany, Belgium
- Favourite city? By far it has been Brussels - amazing culture, very friendly people
- List your five favourite TV programmes. The Simpsons, Due South, The Big Bang Theory,NCIS
- List your five favourite films. Lord Of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit trilogy, Ice Cold In alex
- Are you wealthy? yes, in knowledge and happiness
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, as a volunteer gardener (National trust) while re-training as a mechanic
- List the subjects you study/have studied.Cookery, and from September car mechanics

Spockraptor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm Erin :) I was diagnosed as type1 on New Year's Eve - I couldn't get an appointment with my dr so went to lloyds pharmacy who sent me to GP who sent me to hospital where I was admitted and diagnosed. I'm on novorapid and lantus - my pancreas is still producing insulin so my doses have been changing quite frequently and having lots of hypo's. Trying to fit my new diagnosis into my life while planning my wedding (getting married in June). I have two dwarf hamsters - Starsky and Hutch and enjoy exercising, reading and eeeaaaating! Exercising on hold at the moment at nurses advice but hoping to get back into it soon :) I've only just joined the forum but hope to meet others for chats and advice x x
Hi Erin I was only diagnosed type 1 in October last year and still honeymooning myself. Only taking 2 or 3 units of novorapid with meals and 5 lantus at the minute and it's not changed since I was diagnosed. Hope my honeymoon lasts forever. Good to hear from a fellow honeymooner :)

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
10541484_10154433146310258_3034269698070029669_n.jpg

- What is your name? Michael
- How old are you? 31
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? North Yorkshire and Essex
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Nuts, Nuts, and ....... Nuts
- Do you have any pets? yes. 11 year old Border Collie called Fizz (see the pic, above)
- Microsoft or Apple? either
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Archery, Martial arts (used to study Karate but now Judo/JuJitsu)
- Do you get angry easily? Depends on how annoying the other person is
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? 3 tattoo`s at the moment -L outer wrist, R forearm and R outer arm - currently planning another 5 tattoos
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Pink Floyd, Led Zepp, Hendrix
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Union flag (UK)
- Ever gone camping? Every weekend during the summer in ww2 battledress
- Ever been in love? Yes, until she left me for dead (literally)
- Ever used fake tan? hell no!
- Which countries have you visited? USA, Finland x2, France, Germany, Belgium
- Favourite city? By far it has been Brussels - amazing culture, very friendly people
- List your five favourite TV programmes. The Simpsons, Due South, The Big Bang Theory,NCIS
- List your five favourite films. Lord Of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit trilogy, Ice Cold In alex
- Are you wealthy? yes, in knowledge and happiness
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, as a volunteer gardener (National trust) while re-training as a mechanic
- List the subjects you study/have studied.Cookery, and from September car mechanics
Hello Michael . Welcome to the forum nice photo :)

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise for the point of exercise...
Hello everyone I am new on here but not new to diabetes.

IcedSnowflake

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little about myself other than the profile facts, I was diagnosed with type 2 in January 2013, I was 32 at the time. The only reason it was discovered is because I asked my Dr to check me for Diabetes & Thyroids as I was so lethargic, least to say she laughed at me when I made the request, 2 fastings later, & hey presto, type 2 confirmed. In January this year I switched Dr's, had a diabetes check-up, went to the Dr's 2 weeks later for the Dr to say my results were better than his, & he doesn't understand why I'm there as a "diabetic" ... Now in March & I'm on Metformin! (I'm 19 weeks pregnant, seems pregnancy doesn't want me to have a easy time!). Diabetes is very high in my family, my Dad is type 1, insulin, & a majority of his siblings have diabetes too. My maternal grandfather passed away in December 2014, although he had a terminal illness, diabetes took him in the end, he had a severe hypo, which his heart couldn't cope with, so it's all very real to me. BUT I do still try to stay optimistic about DB & refuse to let it rule me or my life :playful:

- Every Time I have a photo taken, the camera breaks, no photos exist :wacky:
- What is your name? - Kez
- How old are you? - 34 years young
- Are you male or female? - Last time I checked, I was pregnant, so, um, I guess that makes me a she, or a very rich he! :dummy1:
- Which country are you from? - UK
- Which city/area do you live in? - Sunny Suffolk, the land of combine harvesters & carrot Pizzas!
- Are you religious? - Only in emergencies
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - Insane, Cautious & bubbly
- Do you have any pets? - Labrador X Named Storm
- Microsoft or Apple? - Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? - Cards & Darts, they are sports, right?
- Do you get angry easily? No, I'm rather chillaxed :angelic:
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? - Yes & Yes, Tatoos on my arm, back & back of neck, Piercings in my ears, and face
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - Bon Jovi, The Levellers, James Arthur, Evanescence, Queen, R.E.M, Kings Of Leon ... Ooops, over 5 huh :pompous:
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Rock
- What is your favourite flag? - Sex, Drugs, Rock n Roll
- Ever gone camping? - Yes, Loved it!
- Ever been in love? - No, I'm married for the money :greedy:
- Ever used fake tan?
- Nope, I like my naturally pale & blotchy skin
- Which countries have you visited? - Germany, France, Greece, Scotland & Wales
- Favourite city? - I don't do cities
- List your five favourite TV programmes. - Charmed, Ghost whisperer, OBEM, Master Chef
- List your five favourite films. - Coyote Ugly, Armageddon, Grown-ups (1&2), The Longest Yard, Captain Phillips & Castaway
- Are you wealthy? - Only within my knowledge of work
- Do you work? If so, as what? - Yes, Support worker
- List the subjects you study/have studied. - Health in the work place level 2. Left high school before GCSE's, so that's pretty much it!
- What do you like most about yourself? - My personality, faith in others & eyes!
- What do you like least about yourself? - The fact I passed my CBT & bought a Yamaha 125, then found I was pregnant so had to sell the bike! :arghh:

Last edited by a moderator: