paranoia setting in

chrissieworne

Hi all

Am really feeling low, am testing regularly (praps too much?) can't seem to get to grips with this beast. I am not a negative person normally but i don't feel I can cope.

Am soooo confused between all the info about and hate eating as I am bored with it. I just don't see how I can eat well, lose weight and keep the BG down.

Do I feel like this cos its all new?

The last day or two I have succumbed to naughties.

Am being referred to the DESMOND programme, anyone been on it?

Chrissie Worne

samcogle

Hi Chrissie, yes I felt exactly like you describe and he may as well have said I had months to live. It is now 4 months on and I am fine. i don't feel like it rules my life anymore but I control the beast. It will take time and feel free to have a moan or ask questions. What is it you like to eat and what is it you hate?
What sort of diet are you following...low or not low carb?
I couldn't get my levels below about 10 but I am now hitting between 5 and 6 and only go to 8 if I am naughty. You are only human and so don't feel too guilty with it. The testing is good as that is the only way you are going to be able to work out what affects your levels.
It is a huge life change but you will get used to it honest :) and the 'downess' will pass or you can come and slap me :D
Sam x

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You just got the Blues... It'll pass. Some food can bring you down (i know exactly which foods bring me down...) and if you can identify and avoid 'em you're half way there.

Testing too often can also bring you down. If your numbers are running high constistently you're bound to feel down. Why not stop testing for a week, and make a concious effort to reduce your numbers during that week? Hopefully, when you test again, your numbers will be down on your previous reading and give you a little "lift".

Being new to all this is tough. The best advice I can give is to stick around here, ask lots of questions, and find what works for you. This site is a great place to come for morale support. People here know exactly how you feel and can empathise.

I hope it gets much better for you. Good luck!

sandymaynard

Hi crissie,
Been where you are now! I know all the info you hear is so confusing at the best of times let alone when you read what doctor's say is best!
It will pass just keep your chin up! You say you are a negative person!
I don't believe that you are, You made the step to come on here and talk, that was a postive step and a good one! So you are not a negative person!
You just need a little helping hand!
I feel off the wagon last night real naughty! 2 slices of pizza and a small handfull of chips!
I am sure there are times were we all do it! Don't despair we are all here for you!
You are going through the blues this will pass! It may take a little while it will go!
The sun is out and it is shinning! The flowers are starting to bloom!
keep your chin up!
Sandy

chrissieworne

Hi guys, thanks for the support. Well, what do I like to eat? basically I am trying to follow slimming world as I have 3 stones to lose. I normally follow the green plan as it encourages lots of spuds, rice, pasta etc with limited protein, low fat and sugar. BUT you are in theory allowed unlimited levels of the carbs. That does not seem to suit the BG even tho I am using brown rice, bread and pasta. I do have a very sweet tooth but I have cut out sweet stuff and am making sugar free jellies and having with low fat fromage frais as a substitute. I have Mullerlight yogurts and semi skimmed milk, diet drinks and plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

i have an underactive Thyroid and take Thyoxine for it and I also have "sticky blood" so have to take Aspirin each day 75mg. Due to my Cholesterol levels going up since Xmas, is about 7!!! I started Simvastatin 40mg each day just over a week ago, so far, no probs! Blood pressure is worrying but that is being monitored.

I suppose I am feeling mortal!! Just turned 51yrs and I really do not want to starr tabs for BP and for the Diabetes.

I have a stressful job and the tiredness is really getting me. Are the reccommended BG the same for all or does it vary person to person? Does exercise make much difference to the BG level?

I will be comin on here regualrly as have found it really supportive. Promise I will out my positive hat on!!!

Chrissie. x

sandymaynard

Hi crissie,
Stress and emotions play alot with the Bg! Exercise does help alot, i have found that by exercising i can bring my Bg down!
I have learnt not to go for bath within a hour of exercising...I suffered severe hypo while in bath nearly passed out! Not funny at the time! My fiancee said i did as he told me, I found i was stuck for words!Me of all people, Oh i could talk the hind legs off a donkey!..Lol..
So banged on side of bath! Up he came bless him with some lucozade and helped me out of the bath!
Ah bless him!
But it does help exercising, I am 34 years old, Overweight... and type 2, So far mananged to keep off meds.
I am on reduced carbs, got great advice from everybody here! I don't eat bread, rice,pasta,pizza!
Oh don't tell anyone i had pizza the other night, only a slice it was healthy i made it myself! i take warfarin daily! I have good blood pressure at the minute! About all that is good about me! Oh but i do have a good heart!
I hope that you are feeling better! we have a safe forum here to be able to express ourselfs, and help each other!
I hope this makes sense to you! I have confused myself yet again!
Sandy

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Hi

I know how you feel, it can be quite lonely! I too have stressful job, which does not make for being able to eat regular meals. I am experimenting with splitting a meal between 11am and 4pm if I have a meeeting over lunch to try and see if that works. My levels are like a yoyo! :lol:

I was offered the Desmond but turned it down, my GP did warn me he did not think it would suit me, as it goes apparently at a very slow pace andfor some reason felt I might find it patronising LOL. I think the course depends a lot on your health authority and who and how it is delivered, as some people have said good things about it. Maybe you can ask at your GP practice if you can speak to someone who runs the course to try and get a flavour of what it is about?

Personally I feel I have learnt more from the internet and from this site, I have been doing a lot of research around it and this has helped me. But each to their own. The best therapy for me has been to come on here and express it at least you have said it and you also then get lots of advice and encouragment and support.

Good luck

Iolanthe

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi Chrissie,

You should know that there are a great deal of people on here who have managed to control their diabetes by doing something that seems at first very counter intuitive. The approach does work though; and the approach is to drop as much starchy carbohydrate from your diet as possible. The advice given to you by your GP and the main diabetes support groups like Diabetes UK is wrong; carbohydrate is not your friend. Not in brown rice, fruit or vegetables. Not at all really.

A low carbohyrdate diet will reduce your cholestrol, your triglycerides, make you lose weight and most importantly will control your blood sugars. Please read the Low Carb Forum bit of this site and really think about the positive responses people have had.

This is a mindset shift and is understandably very confusing when it runs counter to what your doctor has probably told you, but it is the right thing to do.

All the best

Dillinger

Jody70

I too have weight to lose. I found out very quickly through using a meter (that wasn't prescribed) what foods suit me and what foods don't. I was a member of slimming world years ago and was very successful so I've decided to give it a go again. I choose the red option mostly, which is high in protein and restricted on pasta, rice etc. After only a week, it seems to suit me just fine but we'll have to see what a month, 2 months and then 3 months brings. I have also bought the little book of carbs which I hope will help me make the right choices for my carb options each day. I have already started to feel better, despite only being diagnosed as T2 recently.

chrissieworne

Hi
See, trouble with slimming world is this unlimited business as i can't see how you can eat unlimited anything? that's waht is confusing me like hell. Am not a big meat eater so would mostly do green days, that means bucket loads of carbs!! Am wondering if I should low carb but then what am i going to eat if not tons of meat?