Newcomer's test results

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Desperate to share my good news. I was diagnosed last last year with ti diabetes. Today I saw my DSN for the results of the first blood tests I've just recently had. Bearing in mind my bg levels were in the 20s when I was first put on Insulin (mixed), I can't believe what I've achieved. My HBA1c is 51mmols, DCCT 6.8% and I've managed to reduce my cholesterol from 7.2 to 5.6mmol/L just with a change to my diet. I walked into the surgery with a pounding heart wondering what I was going to be told, came out with a spring in my step and a grin that a cheshire cat would be envious of. I still have some work to do, but I'm getting there.:happy::)

Reactions: 16 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
To chunterer, zand and robinredbreast - thank you. I'm still smiling !!!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Desperate to share my good news. I was diagnosed last last year with ti diabetes. Today I saw my DSN for the results of the first blood tests I've just recently had. Bearing in mind my bg levels were in the 20s when I was first put on Insulin (mixed), I can't believe what I've achieved. My HBA1c is 51mmols, DCCT 6.8% and I've managed to reduce my cholesterol from 7.2 to 5.6mmol/L just with a change to my diet. I walked into the surgery with a pounding heart wondering what I was going to be told, came out with a spring in my step and a grin that a cheshire cat would be envious of. I still have some work to do, but I'm getting there.:happy::)

And did the nurse ask how you've achieved such great results?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
She did. I explained that I watch what I eat like a hawk and have made my target range to be no lower than 5 and no more that 9 mmol. I frequently test during the day and as she could see I was serious about managing diabetes she also agreed to increase my allowance of test strips. She did admit she'd never seen anyone reduce their cholesterol by so much just because of diet.. Easy, drastically reduce the intake of saturated fats.By the way, I'm not LCHF.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They are great result June, well done :)

iHs

Well done @June_C .........You can get good control using 2 jabs per day and you can always use a bolus pen at special occasions.
Look after yourself and be a big strong girl like moi lol

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
They are great result June, well done :)
Thank you. I'm so pleased that months of worrying, label reading, endless finger pricking and saying no to some foods that I really like, is paying off. I'm definitely less anxious than I was.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Well done @June_C .........You can get good control using 2 jabs per day and you can always use a bolus pen at special occasions.
Look after yourself and be a big strong girl like moi lol
Thank you. I'm happy to stay on mixed as I seem to have the measure of it. Saying that, it'll probably go haywire tomorrow.........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you. I'm so pleased that months of worrying, label reading, endless finger pricking and saying no to some foods that I really like, is paying off. I'm definitely less anxious than I was.

June, the first year is by far the worst as there's so much information to take in , your doing great so you can relax a little but not take your eye of the ball.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
June, the first year is by far the worst as there's so much information to take in , your doing great so you can relax a little but not take your eye of the ball.
I quite agree. I'm still going to be strict with myself as I don't want to undo all my hard work.

Reactions: 5 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I had an inkling that my happy bubble was going to be burst and it has been. My DSN phoned today to say that my folic acid levels are low and I have to take tablets for a month and then another blood test. At least I can go to sleep at night and not imagine clogged up arteries with excess glucose and cholesterol thanks to my good HBA1c and cholesterol results. Green leafy veg are apparently what is needed, so spinach tonight and a watercress soup making session tomorrow. I'm struggling to making all these changes to my diet, but I'm determined to get there - somehow............My GP also wants to put me on statins, but I'm resisting at the moment as I've reduced my levels from 7.2 to 5.6 purely through diet and would like to have the opportunity to get them even lower. Thankfully he's agreed. Phew, what an uphill struggle this all is...........

Reactions: 5 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thanks Lynn 1 and noblehead. :)

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on you Hba1c
I'd ask for further info about your cholesterol, is not just the total but the component ratio that counts too.
Mine has come down from 7.2 to 5.4, and we have agreed that I can avoid statins fir now as my HDL is high and my trigs are low.
Bad luck on the folic acid, but green leafy veg isn't too bad (especially with a nice cheese sauce )
Sue

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Well done on you Hba1c
I'd ask for further info about your cholesterol, is not just the total but the component ratio that counts too.
Mine has come down from 7.2 to 5.4, and we have agreed that I can avoid statins fir now as my HDL is high and my trigs are low.
Bad luck on the folic acid, but green leafy veg isn't too bad (especially with a nice cheese sauce )
Sue
Unfortunately the print out didn't state what the HDL/LDL levels were and trigs (whatever they are) weren't mentioned either. I happen to like green leafy veg and broc cheese made with low fat cheese and skimmed milk is a favourite supper dish, so no hardship there.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)

That is absolutely fantastic June. Every time I get a good HBA1c it's like being high. Exhilarating isn't it. Be careful you don't over do the t"reating yourself "

KevFitz