LCHF diet question.....

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading through the posts it appears to be a viable option, but doesn't it cause your cholesterol to rise?

Anyway, I'm going to try it, this morning I ditched my weetabix and raisins in skimmed milk for a grilled beef sausage with tomato and 2 eggs, scrambled with some cheese thrown in.....assuming I've done it correctly, i enjoyed it, but I do wonder.....

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From my own experience, through the tests and bloods done. initially it does rise.
but like all your life signs that doctors go by, they start to drop gradually as the low carb diet starts to lose you weight.
Weight loss is instrumental to better life signs and insulin production.

if your not trying to lose weight, then eat enough protein and fat, with your low carb veg to maintain weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning MissPooh
Do you have a meter ? In my opinion that's an essential tool we need.
It seems that regarding foods
Breakfast cereal potatoes,pasta and white breads are no nos, however we are all individuals and we all react differently to foods, what spikes me may not have much effect on you hence the need to test and test.
There are posters here that will advocate very LCHF diets and that's ok, however as someone else said this is a marathon and not a sprint whichever diet you decide to commit to you have to be able to sustain if for the long haul. And it can't be very difficult at times.

LCHF goes against all the dietary advice the majority of health professionals have been giving us But its benefits especially to diabetes sufferers is now being accepted by a small proportion of the medical establishment.

Reactions: 5 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I desperately need to lose weight - like last week desperate lol....so that would be wonderful.

I will need to get a meter, as I'm assuming it's type 2 I have - I don't see my GP until Friday, but I have no reason to think they'll provide me with anything.

No doubt once I get the meter I'll be back with another load of questions - hope I'm not going to be a pest :oops:

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That breakfast looks fine to me but be aware that sausages can contain quite a bit of cereal if the cheaper variety. Blood cholesterol has little to do with what you eat and is influenced by your overal diet, exercise and genes. Many of us have found that although the total blood cholesterol doesn't change much, the ratios of LDL and HDL etc improve a lot and these are the important things not the total figure at my last annual blood test last month which was a fasting one to provide good figures my ratios and glicerides were all excellent despite having a fried breakfast and lots of cheese and so on. My figures before going low-carb were worse. Don't forget body fat these days comes largely from the carbs you eat not the fat.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You won't be a pest and since you're starting off in the right direction it's actually encouraging to us all.
Your meter will be your guide too.
If your GP isn't helpful some of us find the "nodding dog" non-committal technique useful. Then come back here and tell us what s/he said.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol "nodding dog" I like that.

It's a locum doctor I'm seeing, so he/she will only have my notes to go on, but I suspect a referral to a diabetic clinic will be on the cards.

I think I've accepted my attitude to diet will have to change - my stumbling block will be exercise as I'm really - make that REALLY lazy.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you're being processed by the system then. In the meantime the more questions you ask before you see GP & nurse the better.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There is no doubt that a lchf diet will help to control diabetes but personally I would find it too restrictive and know I couldnt eat this way for the rest of my life and also there is the problem of cholesterol as it seems that something like 50% of those eating this diet suffer an increase in cholesterol.

I found that the best diet for me was a reduced carb diet with no added fat, the best of both worlds so to speak.

Excellent control and no rise in cholesterol.

And because I have always eaten small portions of potato, rice and cereals I have never felt deprived or awkward when eating out in company.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I would just add - read all labels on food packaging and cook up from scratch whenever possible.

Plus eat to your meter of course.

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done two days on lchf, I have appt with the nurse next week and the doc told me I'll be getting a meter then..seems like the best way to go...find out what you can have yourself :) I've ordered Dr.Deakins book Eat Fat so hopefully that will help no end too :D exercise? Yoiks I know what you mean but it's gotta be done ;)

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
A wee word of warning. In my first 2 weeks of trying LCHF (beginning of February) I went at it like a fanatic but I suffered from what I think was a gallbladder warning that I was eating too much fat. So I've now modified my diet a little and keep my carbs as low as possible whilst taking only moderate fat. I actually hated the recommended cream in coffees anyway and cream with berries. :yuck: Of course everyone is different, but I'm happy with my results so far. My glucose levels are dropping and I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm not due to see my DN again until mid-April but I see no reason why she'll not be pleased with my first review results and hopefully my cholesterol levels will be no worse than they were at diagnosis and might even be a bit better.

Keep asking questions and the great people around here will keep you right.

Reactions: 10 people

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget even housework counts as exercise and as your blood sugars decrease you will likely have an increase in energy anyway :) I got bought a hula hoop at Christmas and although I am rubbish at it the very act of trying is quite hard work ! And currently my daughter is in hospital again so pounding the corridors all counts too !

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like cream, but only in cakes :) - I think the best I cd muster for tea (I don't drink coffee) is full milk.
My poor wee dog isn't well and I'm just back from the vet with him - I cd have eaten a big bun instead I had mackerel fillet with spring onions mixed with Mayo on a bed of lamb leaf lettuce and 3 oat cakes very tasty - done my best with a wise choice.

Reactions: 4 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably eat more carbs than many on here because for some reason I can eat small amounts of bread, cereals and potatos with little effect on my BS. However I don't necessarily eat high fat but the full fat versions of, for example, yoghurt, cheese, milk, Mayo and butter and my last results just before Christmas last year showed that my cholesterol levels were down.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like cream, but only in cakes

But you can have cakes with your cream,:D just make them with ground almonds. There are lots of low carb baking recipes around, and they are good for the fatty part of your lchf diet too as there's fat in the butter and almonds too...check out low carb recipes for 1 minute muffins or muffins in a mug as these a quick and easy so a good place to start low carb caking - oops - baking.

Robbity

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I wonder too. Some dietary ideas and advice on this forum are very questionable, you have to think for yourself, some try to push advice like they have a PhD in medicine but they only have limited resources and results, they don't know the whole picture. keep studying and gaining your own knowledge for you. Keeping it low carb makes alot of sense though, but some fats like trans fats and saturated fats are bad for you.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no doubt that a lchf diet will help to control diabetes but personally I would find it too restrictive and know I couldnt eat this way for the rest of my life and also there is the problem of cholesterol as it seems that something like 50% of those eating this diet suffer an increase in cholesterol.

I found that the best diet for me was a reduced carb diet with no added fat, the best of both worlds so to speak.

Excellent control and no rise in cholesterol.

And because I have always eaten small portions of potato, rice and cereals I have never felt deprived or awkward when eating out in company.

Done properly, LCHF improves your cholesterol profile. It's the carbs which cause bad cholesterol to mess with your system (and high Omega 6 polyunsaturated fats like sunflower and corn oil, etc.)

I know it's counter-intuitive but there is real science that explains this down to the molecular level. The 'science' that suggested saturated fats and cholesterol are bad for us was all based on badly executed associative studies and misinterpreted statistics back in the 1960s when biomedical and molecular science was not what it is today. In fact plant sterols (which are related to cholesterols) that are added to things like cholesterol-lowering margarines are now also being shown to be at best a waste of time and at worst harmful as they lower good as well as bad cholesterol.

If you reduce carbs to the amount you need to in order to control blood sugar optimally without increasing fat consumption you need to eat more protein and that can still result in elevated blood sugar and in extremis kidney and other problems.

Reactions: 3 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Keeping it low carb makes alot of sense though, but some fats like trans fats and saturated fats are bad for you.
It is now widely recognised that saturated fats are not harmful, rather that they are an essential part of the diet. Quoting from Zoe Harcombe's recent blog,

Death rates for men were 3 times higher in the lowest saturated fat intake countries than the highest.

Death rates for women were 4.5 times higher in the lowest saturated fat intake countries than the highest. (her bold)

, which can be found here, http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/03/saturated-fat-chd-in-europe/

Sally