tattoo can i or cant i ?

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all i am type 2 and on insulin, I am wanting to get a new tattoo on my wrist to cover an old one i have spoken to my diabetic nurse who said "NO WAY" AND SPECIALLY NOT FOR WOMEN ,not sure if she just dosnt like tattoos or if she is say no way i cant have one

Just need a bit of advice if i can have one or if my nurse is right saying no way or she is just anti-tattoo and dosnt like them

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,thanks for the reply i will check that out

My last hbac1 was 58 down from 66 i still have a way to go with that ,but my gp is happy with that figure ,not so much my nurse

My average levels are around the 7.3 mark according to my meter over last 90 days

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
haha yes i think so as well catherine as it was a resounding no way and was on the verge of shouting at me over it

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
does any one think my levels sound ok to have one done

Thanks for your replies :)

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
yes i was thinking the same as they are still a tad high for my liking to ive on been on insulin for around 6 months i had a bad time last year with it all ending up in A&E at one point with levels off the scale and stayed like that for a few months i cant take the medication as it gave me inflamed liver so insulin was last option they are coming down but slowly, i have tried to low carb which made me feel quite ill as i have stomach problems to so i try to stay on around 130 carbs a day

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
haha yes i think so as well catherine as it was a resounding no way and was on the verge of shouting at me over it
Nurse should have been more understanding and calmer with you .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thinking more positive , you can use the time to get your levels down a touch perhaps .
Doodle and draw up some of your own ideas for the new tattoo cover up future job ?

Read through our Tattoo threads for more tips,help and ideas .
Some threads on this have been and are great !

JaneH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Cath40,
Not sure if my experience is directly relevant, but I'll add it into the mix... I'm a type 1 diabetic (glucose levels far above yours) and I've had seven hours worth of tattoos without any issues.

Like others have mentioned here, there's just an extra need to find somewhere really reputable and be super careful given the increased risk of infection.

It might not be a bad 'better control' reward though :)

Best of luck!!

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your replies Jane ur message kinda makes me feel a bit better about having one I will take a look around the studios and see which one is best I may just get it done and hide it wen I go to see her haha x

claiirebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have a couple of tattoos just get a doctors letter to bring with ya to the tattoo studion my tattoo artist asked for one and i gave it to him and he done all of mine :)

Sarahhepp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got a tattoo on most parts of me inc full legs on both sides go with your instinct ...they take a bit longer to heal ...cover with vasoline to stop infection getting in and you will be fine x

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have several tattoos and piercings all whilst diabetic (type 1) and have had no issues, As long as its a good artist who knows what they are doing and the sittings aren't to long with breaks to test if needed, you should be fine. When I have had my tattoos I have had my levels slightly higher than I would normally as they can drop during the session, and check when or if you start to feel low. My only other advice is talk about the colours as being diabetic some colours especially black will fade quicker than a non-diabetic, but other than that there is no reason you can not have one or many...! Healing may take a little longer and as with any skin wound just keep an eye on it! Good Luck and enjoy x

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks i know what i want im just a bit worried about having it done yet
Hi Cath - I'm type 1 and have had 3 since diagnosis (got 7 altogether). I went to a reputable tattooist & informed him I was diabetic & all was fine. They've all healed well & I'll be going back for more! Good luck & enjoy! :)

Lozzietattoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all i am type 2 and on insulin, I am wanting to get a new tattoo on my wrist to cover an old one i have spoken to my diabetic nurse who said "NO WAY" AND SPECIALLY NOT FOR WOMEN ,not sure if she just dosnt like tattoos or if she is say no way i cant have one

Just need a bit of advice if i can have one or if my nurse is right saying no way or she is just anti-tattoo and dosnt like them
Hi Cath,

I'm type 1 and a tattooist, therefore covered!! I have a few diabetic clients and generally advise them it may take slightly longer to heal if bloods are a little on the high side, I also get them to check their blood sugar levels before we start and 1/2 way through if it's a particularly long sitting :) good luck! Lauren xx

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your diabetic nurse is a nutter, basically. Why would gender make any differece...

Last edited by a moderator:

JK1312

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had a new tattoo, last week, healed lovely, the only thing she said is I bleed a lot, she's not sure if it due to being diabetic!