Changing Insulin pen Needle

habibanour

I change the insulin pen needle for my daughter every day (its mean after 3 time of use- Novo Rapid Pen )

I want to know is that true?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's fine, especially if you are paying for the needles.

In the UK the needles are free to patients, and they tell us to only use them once.

I changed the needle only when I changed the cartridge, or the needle felt odd, and never had any trouble.

Reactions: 8 people

RW47

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change the insulin pen needle for my daughter every day (its mean after 3 time of use- Novo Rapid Pen )

I want to know is that true?

I have been a Type 1 Diabetic from the age of 10 year old & have seen many changes in the style of syringes I use . I am now on Lantus once a day
& Novo Rapid 3 times a day & to be quite honest unless I draw blood I only change the needles twice a week . This may not be the way forward for
most but I have been a Diabetic for 57 years & have never had an infection . I can still remember my mother having to boil the glass & metal
syringes every time I injected .. Hope that helps

Reactions: 9 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I change my needles each time as I was told they are only made for single use.

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have been a Type 1 Diabetic from the age of 10 year old & have seen many changes in the style of syringes I use . I am now on Lantus once a day
& Novo Rapid 3 times a day & to be quite honest unless I draw blood I only change the needles twice a week . This may not be the way forward for
most but I have been a Diabetic for 57 years & have never had an infection . I can still remember my mother having to boil the glass & metal
syringes every time I injected .. Hope that helps
As a newby I started off following all the rules to the letter. Didn't know any better! I have since learned from this forum that lancet needles can be used many times, which I now do, but I always use a new needle for the insulin. If the needle stays in the pen, then there's an open pathway from the air to the insulin. I'd be worried that the Insulin could become contaminated.

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change it daily on my Apidra pen (after using it 4 times) and every morning on my Lantus. I haven't had any problems so far

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did use to reuse needles but in more recent years I used a new needle every-time.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have to use a new needle every single time with each injection .
If I don't - it will sting and hurt me otherwise .

I use the 5mm needles with my pens .

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
You should ask to change to the 4mm needle if you don't have a lot of body fat Anna.

Only place that fat goes or stores is my little tummy .
I have both the 4mm and the 5mm needles sizes.

There was some concern originally as 'if' the insulin would get in .
So my DSN prescribed me the smallest size .

Am just used to using the 5mm size and always count off
a full 10 (ten) before removing y needles .
This way - it ensures all dose/units are in my tummy correctly .

Reactions: 4 people

trevbee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 2 pens for each of my insulins and I ownly change the needles when I change my pen unless I have to for some reason never caused any problems

liverpoolone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As a newby I started off following all the rules to the letter. Didn't know any better! I have since learned from this forum that lancet needles can be used many times, which I now do, but I always use a new needle for the insulin. If the needle stays in the pen, then there's an open pathway from the air to the insulin. I'd be worried that the Insulin could become contaminated.

June you are 100% correct, plus these needles are designed to be used once and then disposed of because they lose there sharpness and it also helps to avoid infection.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thank you. My sentiments exactly.:)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always use a new needle for the insulin. If the needle stays in the pen, then there's an open pathway from the air to the insulin. I'd be worried that the Insulin could become contaminated.
Contaminated - with what? The insulin is suspended in a fluid containing anti bacterial antiseptic additives. With a microscopic air gap protected by a needle cap. Anything that could conceivably contaminate your insulin is already coating every piece of food you eat, every open drink, your clothing, your fingers and hands, all of which are vastly more receptive environments for bacteria and viruses than an insulin cartridge or needle. Your skin, through which you drive the needle, will be covered in bacteria that live and breed there.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not follow the guidelines and stay safe?
It's a fair point but if all we needed to do was follow manufacturer's guidelines there would not be very much point having this website. We could just read the manufacturer's leaflets and do whatever they said.

Reactions: 2 people

elaipri1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a new needle every time I inject which could be 10 times a day! There is a hole either end of the needle which once opened, will let in air and bacteria into the insulin and neither of these are desirable by any diabetic! Both are very harmful to health and a new needle should be used every time to avoid more health issues than we already have. Plus a needle is not really sharp enough for re using. They are designed for a single use only. Its your body your health and your diabetes so please take real good care of yourself as sometimes there is NO WAY BACK. I also have a diabetic dog and I use syringes for her and they are also for single use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not follow the guidelines and stay safe?
You are right though, there's no harm in following the manufacturer's guidelines. Cost (for the NHS) and maybe inconvenience for some of us, but no actual harm that I've ever heard of.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
You are right though, there's no harm in following the manufacturer's guidelines. Cost (for the NHS) and maybe inconvenience for some of us, but no actual harm that I've ever heard of.
Thank you after my telling off :( We can bend the rules a little, but I feel insulin needles should only ever be used once. Yes, we're all open to bacterial infections, but why add another possibility:shy:

Reactions: 8 people