GP being an a**e.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off it depends whether you are a T2 or a T1.. Or whether you take any drugs that can induce a hypo.
I had a GP in Glanamman in South Wales that thought 1strip a day was enough for a T1!!!
I went to consultant who wrote a letter stating the qty I should have.
Since moving back to England then my DSN's are happy to prescribe anything I need to keep me well.
Some of this is dependent on the attitude I adopt when talking to professionals though. .. If I demand I get a negative attitude.. If I reason nicely and positively it makes a world of difference....

SarahCarrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 and tried to b as nice as possible! My chemist is v good and she has 'lent' needles etc so I'm not having to reuse when the prescriptions are late. GP doesn't seem to read notes at all ... Twice I saw him and he didn't seem to b aware I was t1 and using insulin. Only changed GP as old one was too far away -we moved 15 years ago and I'd just stayed with that practice but thought I really should move closer to home.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am T1 and tried to b as nice as possible! My chemist is v good and she has 'lent' needles etc so I'm not having to reuse when the prescriptions are late. GP doesn't seem to read notes at all ... Twice I saw him and he didn't seem to b aware I was t1 and using insulin. Only changed GP as old one was too far away -we moved 15 years ago and I'd just stayed with that practice but thought I really should move closer to home.
It is wise to get a GP that is closer to home and also probably in a larger practice.
If in a small practice and that GP DOESN't like prescribing you are damned!!
At least in a larger practice you can see all say 6 GP's and out of those you will find one that is good...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't demand as such but if I explain that I drive 4 journeys a day- thats 4 strips... As a T1 I need to basal test and test to find out how foods affect me then they are more willing than if I say I just need to test more..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
T1's should be under a hospital really and if having troubles with Gp's prescribing. Then ask consultants to write to GP's suggesting what scripts need to be done.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how do you get by on 5 a day, are you a type 2?

No, my BG is relatively predictable, so if in the normal routine I just don't feel the need to, often don't test even five times a day when not going to the gym or exercising. I Test on waking, before lunch, pre gym, post gym, bedtime. If doing exercise longer than an hour I'll test every half hour, and if in a new environment I'll test a lot more than normal, e.g on holiday, different climate.

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GPs... 90% of them are useless. If you can get an appointment!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have yet to see my GP. I'm looked after extremely well by the practice DSN. She's an absolute treasure. I have to have appts with the hospital as well, but I'm not sure why as I receive excellent care from my local practice.

Reactions: 2 people

Scardoc

GPs... 90% of them are useless. If you can get an appointment!

Ever watched the fly-on-the-wall documentary on C5 just now? Cut past all the selected for TV **** and you actually see what GP's have to deal with.

@ Dan12321 "You're right about the receptionists at the GP's too, they speak to you like ****, and have some sort of delusion that there more than just a receptionist, most of the stuff you say to them doesnt even get passed on"

Try doing their job for just one day. They may not technically be "more than just a receptionist" but there's a significant difference between putting a call through to an office from a stationary supplier and having someone on the other end of the phone who may be threatening to kill themselves or who can't wake their child up.

Reactions: 4 people

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is just my personal experience at my current surgery, I'm biased!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ever watched the fly-on-the-wall documentary on C5 just now? Cut past all the selected for TV **** and you actually see what GP's have to deal with.

GP's: Behind Closed Doors, been watching this from the start and have to say it's a real eye opener, despite their generous salary I couldn't do their job.

Reactions: 3 people

Scardoc

GP's: Behind Closed Doors, been watching this from the start and have to say it's a real eye opener, despite their generous salary I couldn't do their job.

I actually hate the way the programme has been done, showing people who clearly have difficulties and are being used to make "good TV" and basically, being laughed at. I wish it had been done more seriously. There have been glimpses though of how the GP's struggle emotionally and just how fine the line is between catching and missing something.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I actually hate the way the programme has been done, showing people who clearly have difficulties and are being used to make "good TV" and basically, being laughed at. I wish it had been done more seriously. There have been glimpses though of how the GP's struggle emotionally and just how fine the line is between catching and missing something.

I'm afraid that's television, but I've not had cause to laugh at anyone and if anything the programme has been rather moving.

Reactions: 3 people

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@ Dan12321 "You're right about the receptionists at the GP's too, they speak to you like ****, and have some sort of delusion that there more than just a receptionist, most of the stuff you say to them doesnt even get passed on"

Try doing their job for just one day. They may not technically be "more than just a receptionist" but there's a significant difference between putting a call through to an office from a stationary supplier and having someone on the other end of the phone who may be threatening to kill themselves or who can't wake their child up.
I'm going off my personal experience in real life, i wouldnt trust some edited tv show where the main objective is to get more ratings, i was talking about the receptionists ive dealt with, of course there not all bad

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was a good one and was sympathetic to the patients who were stressed, but firm with the ones who demanded a script for antibiotics for a cold. Try telling someone hell bent on a script for a cold, that it was not possible. Receptionists have to have the patience of a saint sometimes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Receptionists in GP's have to handle grumpy sick people day in day out. They have specific routines that they must follow. Ours MUST ask what the symptoms are before giving an acute appointment. This is so that they can put the patient with the best Practitioner to treat the patients problems.... NOT to be nosey....

They also have to deal with all incoming calls from hospitals, residential homes, community nurses, patients, coroners etc.....and emergency calls....
They also have face to face queries to deal with.
They also (in our Practice) have to handle literally 109's of repeat prescriptions each day, and also ensure the wee samples are collected, people signing in and out visiting GP's and Practice Manager.

I agree with scardoc....gp receptionists are not the same as a receptionist in a distribution centre or hotel etc.

They have a huge amount of responsibility and are rarely given any appreciation....

Reactions: 5 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
The part I found most difficult was dealing with a patient that I knew was dying. I'd see them coming in week after week, getting more and more thin and I'd always bring a cushion from home, so they could sit more comfortably on the hard waiting room chairs. It was heart breaking to see their decline.

Reactions: 5 people