Outbursts?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im too embarrassed i think people will think im making excuses for himbut he used to b the most patient, caring person i knew now im not sure i want him around me or our wee boy

The thing is, he probably was just as you describe ! If how he is now is due to his erratic blood sugars, it is reversible with good control. The difficulty is tackling that , when he is defensive , and I don't think you should try on your own . You are important too, so is your son. You NEED support to get through this and hopefully bring about change. It can't be good for your son either.

I've given this advice before, but please see your GP or speak to a me,ber of your husbands diabetes team as soon as you can. They will not judge, and are well aware of this kind of problem and how it can affect partners and family members. You are not alone, or the only one to be going through this.

I'm glad you are posting here, it's not real life someone to talk to, but you WILL be supported.

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also meant to add that it may not be your husbands glucose levels at all, but other issues, for example his own difficulties with dealing with diabetes, stress at work, or any number of reasons .

It sounds as if he too needs help.

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Im too embarrassed i think people will think im making excuses for himbut he used to b the most patient, caring person i knew now im not sure i want him around me or our wee boy

How would partner react to sitting at a table and discussing?

Honest, this helps. You never see boardroom decisions being made sat on a settee or in bed or day to day.....

Just having a cup of coffee (informally and partner not being aware of reason for it) at a dining room table formalises talks... It lessens emotions.....

There are ways to say things too.... I'm saying this as an ex irritated T1.

It is not nice to be consistently (daily) reminded that we are 'different'. I.e have you tested, do a test, have you tested, what was your reading etc'..... There are much nicer ways partners can handle us.....I.e finding out exactly what irritates us... Mine used to be when partner/mother said "are you high or low?"
I finally snapped and said..... "96% of my levels are perfect" so why the hell do you keep asking me if they are high or low?"

There are ways to talk about problems, it may be that talking with a third part counsellor may help.

I am not blaming partners, please don't get me wrong. However, there are reasons why diabetics act the way they do. It's just enabling the diabetic person to open up and talk at the right time and circumstance

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Dusty13 , @AngryBirdinFlight

Just read your posts and my heart does goes out to you both. It's a very difficult time for you both and as we are just the onlookers, we don't feel what you are actually feeling or what you are going through.
It must be very difficult to know what to do and I only hope you do the right thing. Sometimes people stay and continue year in year out, and can never see the light at the end of the tunnel, some are brave enough to leave or to give an ultimation. I was wondering if you could go away for the night or the weekend to get a break from it all, blow the cobwebs away and think about what you want to do and consider your future? Don't worry about partners, they can look after themselves, it's their choice at the end of the day.

I remember these sayings 'If something is making you more unhappy than happy, it's time to change it' and 'What lies behind us and what lies before us, is nothing compared to what lies within us.'

Take good care ladies and I sincerely wish you all the best.

With my very best wishes, RRB

Reactions: 7 people

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome my friend. From personal experience when my bloods are high I can have mood swings as well as when there up and down all the time. It can be due to depression and not coping with your diabetes. Some times you might feel like no one lissons all part of your depression symptoms. My girlfriend says the same thing one minute I can shout and be aggressive the next I'm normal the right depression tablets can help but the best thing is someone that ant close to talk to, just to get the stress off your head. Where all here to support with this so keep posting and if your still feeling bad go and see your gp hope this is a bit of help.