Hoping you lovely people can help me have a baby...no donations required (!)

rara77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm 38. Diagnosed Type 2 8 years ago. Weight now 14st, at diagnosis 18.5st. Have really been in denial for 8 years, but with a Mum with Type1 i'm so very aware of the damage i'm causing myself by burying my head in the sand!. I fell pregnant in Nov 2010 and sadly miscarried only a few weeks later. Following this i was referred to a Diabetic Maternity nurse and have since become very aware that my body is NOT in the right state to try to conceive. Again a few years of denial and depression have brought me to where i am now. Having just finished some great CBT, im now in the right frame of mind to really get my act together. So i'm looking for advice and support to get us the baby we so desperately want. We haven't even tried to get pregnant in the last 4 years and times obviously ticking! My Hba1c is currently 10.8.....and pre-conception needs to be below 7 i believe. GP has just started me on Lantus once a day. Metformin is obvs the best choice but my body just cannot tolerate it, even SR. Awaiting appointment with Dietician as my diet is dreadful. Anyone have any similar situations that they overcame and finally had a little one? Looking forward to hearing from you all xx

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't Believe looking at your story it's exactly the same as mine. I too am 38 diagnosed 8 years ago. My mum diabetic. Buried my head in the sand until last year when I attended the preconception clinic my hba1c was 86 now I've got it down to 46 (only know the new numbers)

Ive only just started trying and wasn't successful this month but there are ladies on here who are type 2 and pregnant and doing well so it can be done. I just worry like you about my age, have i left it too late. But all we can do is try and try again until it happens. X

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey rara, well done on taking a turn in the right direction :) I'm type 1 and currently TTC, your a1c will defo need to come down but it sounds like your doing what you can at the moment, have you looked at low carbing? That's the way most type 2's get good readings and better control so you don't get the spikes from carbs, I imagine the dietician you see will advise differently as they usually do but don't let them dictate to you, when you say your diet is dreadful what kind of things do you eat? Xx

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello @rara77 and welcome. Wow, you know the work you need to do to get back on track. Just take little steps and aim for goals, but reachable goals for you. You can do it, honestly you can. With lots of sheer guts, willpower and determination and giving the big D a kick up the backside form time to time, just to show that you are in charge, you're the boss.

I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks when I was about 40 years old, bleeding and then the scan showed little one had died, so I had a natural miscarriage at home, so sad.:( But in October 2000, at the age of 42 1/2 years, I had my darling baby girl and she is now a healthy and a happy teenager and I wouldn't swop her for a million pounds lottery win, I love her to bits and would never change a thing. This all happened when I was in my 12th year of type 1 :)
So, never give up, take care and take control of your diabetes and always look towards a happy, a healthy and positive future :D

Good luck and all the best

RRB :) x

Reactions: 4 people

rara77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't Believe looking at your story it's exactly the same as mine. I too am 38 diagnosed 8 years ago. My mum diabetic. Buried my head in the sand until last year when I attended the preconception clinic my hba1c was 86 now I've got it down to 46 (only know the new numbers)

Ive only just started trying and wasn't successful this month but there are ladies on here who are type 2 and pregnant and doing well so it can be done. I just worry like you about my age, have i left it too late. But all we can do is try and try again until it happens. X
Wow, how strange that our stories are the same! I'm not sure what all the new numbers mean...but will try to find out. How lovely that you are in the position to TTC, i'm sure it will happen soon. I sometimes wonder if i've left it too late, but i can't change the past, and can only look to the future (although i struggle at times). Also hubby is 50 this year, so again age is another concern, but being that hes like Peter Pan mentally it doesn't make much difference! I can't tell you how comforting it is to have found people in a similar situation, thank you x

rara77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @rara77 and welcome. Wow, you know the work you need to do to get back on track. Just take little steps and aim for goals, but reachable goals for you. You can do it, honestly you can. With lots of sheer guts, willpower and determination and giving the big D a kick up the backside form time to time, just to show that you are in charge, you're the boss.

I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks when I was about 40 years old, bleeding and then the scan showed little one had died, so I had a natural miscarriage at home, so sad.:( But in October 2000, at the age of 42 1/2 years, I had my darling baby girl and she is now a healthy and a happy teenager and I wouldn't swop her for a million pounds lottery win, I love her to bits and would never change a thing. This all happened when I was in my 12th year of type 1 :)
So, never give up, take care and take control of your diabetes and always look towards a happy, a healthy and positive future :D

Good luck and all the best

RRB :) x
Thank you so much for posting. I can't tell you how great it feels to hear from people who understand, so thank you. It's beautiful to know that you had your baby girl x

rara77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey rara, well done on taking a turn in the right direction :) I'm type 1 and currently TTC, your a1c will defo need to come down but it sounds like your doing what you can at the moment, have you looked at low carbing? That's the way most type 2's get good readings and better control so you don't get the spikes from carbs, I imagine the dietician you see will advise differently as they usually do but don't let them dictate to you, when you say your diet is dreadful what kind of things do you eat? Xx
Thank you for your words of encouragement. My diet is so horrendous i feel ashamed really. I am aware of the low carbing, and for the last few days i've been trying to alter meals to reduce/exclude carbs. I know that the dieticians don't always agree with low carbing, but i'm certain this is the way to go in the long term. I did trial the Newcastle Diet for the local hospital in 2011, and although not a 'cure'for me it definately showed me how much junk we eat and that the carb and sugar cravings did subside after a while...all i craved in weeks 3 and 4 was a tuna salad! Really i need someone to tape my mouth up lol. Wishing you the best of luck TTC x

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your words of encouragement. My diet is so horrendous i feel ashamed really. I am aware of the low carbing, and for the last few days i've been trying to alter meals to reduce/exclude carbs. I know that the dieticians don't always agree with low carbing, but i'm certain this is the way to go in the long term. I did trial the Newcastle Diet for the local hospital in 2011, and although not a 'cure'for me it definately showed me how much junk we eat and that the carb and sugar cravings did subside after a while...all i craved in weeks 3 and 4 was a tuna salad! Really i need someone to tape my mouth up lol. Wishing you the best of luck TTC x
My diet has gone a bit down hill this week, i keep eating too much bread and craving sweet things and eating them. I am an emotional eater and since i came on I've not been able to stop eating rubbish, which makes me feel rubbish. Need to get back on it. It'll happen for you and me try not to stress about it. That just makes it worse. X