Change of blood testing meter

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
My GP practice has decided to issue patients who test their blood sugar with a new meter as the old meter apparently uses more expensive strips. I collected my new meter yesterday and I don`t think I`ll be using it very often. It is much more flimsy than my old one, the strips bend very easily and to cap it all it is VERY difficult to get the lid off the strip pot without using two hands

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Just out of curiosity, what was the name of your old one and the name of the new one?

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
My old one is a Bayer Contour and the new one an Accu-chek Active. Sorry I realised I should have put the names on after I posted !!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was issued with a Glucomen Lx plus meter, which is quite chunky and has quite a lot of other functions. The price of the strips online is about £22 for a pot of 50, although I know the surgery only pay £15. I always have to use both hands to open the pot, but I don't mind as I know no different. Hopefully my surgery will not change everything around.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I think both of those are relatively good meters....in fact I have been using the accu check expert and the BG star and I find the accu check is quite accurate. I believe they both use the same strips.....It is difficult to say one meter is more accurate than another without the services of a lab that can accurately test the units with control solutions.
The issue is the price of the strips, and this is where the whole industry makes their money....the meters cost about a £10.00 to manufacture and are given away FOC....the companies then claw back the cost and make a huge margin on the strips....
At the same time I don't believe there is such a large discrepancy between the strips...whether they are from Bayer or from J&J or Roche. You will probably find that your trust has done a big deal with Roche for the strips and thats why they have changed you. All in all I would not worry too much about it...important is that you test....and remember they are not that accurate ie 20% which could mean anything from 4-6 if you are a 5....

upload_2015-3-12_12-22-5.png

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I had an example of the inaccuracy just recently. I did a test and the result was 4.2. Not believing I'd gone that low, I immediately did a second test - 5.0, third test - 5.2. That left me scratching my head !!

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an example of the inaccuracy just recently. I did a test and the result was 4.2. Not believing I'd gone that low, I immediately did a second test - 5.0, third test - 5.2. That left me scratching my head !!

I had that this very morning....7.2 then 6.1....the second test I made sure the lance went in deep and got "good" blood....I think if you dont prick deep enough you will get a higher concentration of plasma which gives a false reading....so together with low accuracy meters, poor samples, and temperature fluctuations it turns into a black science....:)

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I had that this very morning....7.2 then 6.1....the second test I made sure the lance went in deep and got "good" blood....I think if you dont prick deep enough you will get a higher concentration of plasma which gives a false reading....so together with low accuracy meters, poor samples, and temperature fluctuations it turns into a black science....:)
H

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Rarely will you get the same bg reading twice when you do consecutive tests, especially if you use two different meters.

@benjygirl, if you can make a case to your Dr for keeping your old meter and strips on prescription then put one forward, there has been a few members on the forum who have done just this and managed to keep their test strips on repeat prescription.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I have several other meters which I had sent to me for free but I have run out of strips for them. I did do a test on 3 meters at the same time and they ranged from 4.2 to 6.3. I have always felt comfortable with my Contour which I have used since being diagnosed over 4 years ago. I am due my annual check up with the nurse next week so I will mention my concerns with her.

Reactions: 2 people