Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my name is Mike and my HbA1c is 7.4% or 57mmol and have been at this level for about six years now and I have had diabetes type 1 for 40 years.

Reactions: 2 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

HbA1c is also measured in mmols but if yours was 7.1 you'd be dead as it's far too low for survival :) the blood sugar tests on our meters are measured in mmol/l and the HbA1c in mmol/mol. If you mean your HbA1c was 7.1% then you're bang on target. Check out the converters on this site. Mine was 9.3%, or 78 mmols/mol.
HBA1c are now shown as mmols/mol...old money as %. BSs are now shown as mg %. old money as mmol/l.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi my name is Mike and my HbA1c is 7.4% or 57mmol and have been at this level for about six years now and I have had diabetes type 1 for 40 years.

Hi Mike - and wow!

Have you been low-carbing?

If not, what's been your secret?

Do you have any plans to lower yours further?

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mike - and wow!

Have you been low-carbing?

If not, what's been your secret?

Do you have any plans to lower yours further?
about six years ago I lived a completely different life style which was career driven and no thought to my diabetes and I decided to turn my life around and accept that I had to change my ways as my diabetes was out of control and I have chronic kidney disease stage 3 and all the usual problems associated with diabetes type 1. I attended a carb counting course that changed the way I dealt with my illness and in 2011 I had an accident which resulted in me being disabled and unfortunately I lost my mom to lung cancer as well. At that point in my life I was as low as it got and being in a wheel chair for 7 months enabled me to see how poorly controlled I really was. This was my defining moment of clarity and I did not want to carry on allowing my diabetes to control me , so I knuckled down got to grips with my illness. my HbA1c was 15.9% and I brought it down to 6.9% and have stayed at that level for 4 years. this was achieved by eliminating carbs from breakfast and lunch and taking no more novo rapid at these times. my blood tests range from 4.9% - 6.8% throughout the day. evening meal has been reduced by 50% carbs which results in less insulin.

Reactions: 6 people

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Latest HbA1c now 14%, been running high for a while and still no ketones or A&E admissions

BFishr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
GP's attitude to diabetes
Re: What are your H test results?

I had my HbA1c test done monday and it was 7.8

Looking at the piece of card whick they gave me it has a traffic light system, which mine fell in the amber (try to improve)
The Red is 9 or higher which is poor.
6-7 is green... good which is probably possible but also they have in the green section 4-6 which they describe as excellent.

There is no way possible that i could live with such a low blood count. I wouldnt be able to drive if it was that low nor would i be safe driving a fork lift at work if my blood was that low. If my blood sugars were at 5 and 30 mins of hard work I would be going into hypo mode.

Looking at this chart..
I THINK; DOCTORS THINK ALL DIABETICS SIT AND WATCH TV ALL DAY!!!

BFishr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
GP's attitude to diabetes
I have been insulin dependant for 52 years and saw blood testing first come in 32 years ago. I have been using a glucose metre since my first pregnancy 30 years ago. My HbA1 during pregancy was 6.1% and I was told not to go lower than that. I have 3 adult children, all born full term, nomal weight and natural delivery, When I wasn't pregnant my HbA1 was usually around 7.2 % - 55 mmol in current speak. I have not had any "diabetic side effects" and always thought I was doing something right.
Then I was told to go to a GP clinic with a (so called) diabetes nurse about 10 years ago. I had a diabetic review last week and was told to aim for 48 mmol and that 55 was too high. I was advised to change my insulin to a fixed dose of 10 units novorapid per meal, regardless of my sugar levels or what I was eating and to increase my Lantus as well. Having had 3 days of severe hypo's followed by my sugar "bouncing" and going through the roof I have gone back to the doses and procedures I have always followed. If I hadn't had diabetes all my life and took this woman's advice I dread to think what might happen.
I am very worried that this sort of thing is happening in GP's surgeries elsewhere. I think if your HbA1c is 55 and you are subject to hypo's you should be told to carry on as you are just as the website advises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Latest result (today) 48. So in the last year I've gone from 66, to 51, to 48, mainly thanks to my pump but obviously I have to work with my pump to make it happen. Feeling pretty bloody chuft with myself I can't lie :D

Reactions: 7 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic @Mrsass ... my latest was 64 :banghead: And that was with a month of lo-carbing thrown in.

Looks like I'm going to have to go on a very dull, predictable diet to get mine down.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow that's great numbers though it must take some hard work! Well done (even if you do have to let it go up a bit)

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Last year mine was 6.5 and my GP said that was too low. I had to have several repeats before she was satisfied at 7.1. I`m going for this years reading next week so hope she`ll be satisfied at the first test !!

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my first Hba1c since being diagnosed on 1st Dec 2014 and it's 38mmol/mol. Slightly surprised as it was 86 when I was first diagnosed so really pleased with the progress. It brought me to tears!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Latest result (today) 48. So in the last year I've gone from 66, to 51, to 48, mainly thanks to my pump but obviously I have to work with my pump to make it happen. Feeling pretty bloody chuft with myself I can't lie :D
Good control well done::))