Eggs and type 2 diabetes

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a US nutritionist specializing in weight loss and type 2 diabetes. When I meet a dietician or nutritionist, first thing I ask them is "What do your thing about eggs?" Their answer tells me how good they are in their present occupation. Here is my take on eggs: Dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with your serum (blood) cholesterol. Many Studies prove this, plus latest science says saturated fat is protective for your heart, but eating high glycemic is a direct and indirect cause of heart disease. That's why doctors want to put you on a statin drug, because they know a low fat diet has little effect on cholesterol.
The egg is a nutritional powerhouse. The egg white is over 90% protein with no fat. The yolk has many vitamins and minerals diabetics need, especially for the eyes. It's almost a complete nutritional food your body loves, but there is one problem with eggs. Egg yolk is one of the two highest food sources of arachidonic acid. AA is the mother of all inflammation in your body. The other food is red meat. If you cut down red meat and egg yolk, you will reduce inflammation in your body. So what I recommend for diabetics is use 1 yolk and 2 or 3 egg white and scramble it or make an omlet.. All diabetics should be taking B6, B12, and folic acid because this lowers c reactive protein, the marker for general inflammation in your body. Diabetics don't need more inflammation, they've got plenty already.
In addition I hope you you're updated on omega 6 and that they also cause inflammation as of today most people actually have a true imbalance between omega 6 and omega 3 intake, so keep away from vegetable oils like margarine, most spreads,sunflower oil (grain feed meat) etc. Probably this omega 6 imbalance together with intake of sugar and starch causing raised blood sugar are bigger culprits then eating egg yolk and grass fed red meat, as we in Europe at least are able to find grass fed meat.

Reactions: 6 people

gazebo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was recently told my cholesterol was high at 6.2 but was not given a breakdown of HDl.\LDL & Trigs. I cannot take statins so bought a book by Robert Kowalski called The new 8 week cholesterol cure. There is a section on eggs and he suggests taking a plant stanol 30 minutes before eating eggs as it prevents all the cholesterol in the eggs from entering the system. I am trying this but it is too early to say whether or not it works I am not due for another blood test until May so hopefully will see an improvement.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was recently told my cholesterol was high at 6.2 but was not given a breakdown of HDl.\LDL & Trigs. I cannot take statins so bought a book by Robert Kowalski called The new 8 week cholesterol cure. There is a section on eggs and he suggests taking a plant stanol 30 minutes before eating eggs as it prevents all the cholesterol in the eggs from entering the system. I am trying this but it is too early to say whether or not it works I am not due for another blood test until May so hopefully will see an improvement.[/QUOTE

Hi, I strongly suggest you ask for a print out of the breakdown. Total cholesterol is just that - the total. It takes no account of how much is good and how much is bad, and particularly you need to know your triglycerides and ratios.

So you believe dietary cholesterol impacts on our body cholesterol, despite all the scientific evidence against this theory?

K

Kat100

Hardly ever have an egg , goes back to my vegan days ..veggie now but find having an egg very difficult to eat

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I strongly suggest you ask for a print out of the breakdown. Total cholesterol is just that - the total. It takes no account of how much is good and how much is bad, and particularly you need to know your triglycerides and ratios.

So you believe dietary cholesterol impacts on our body cholesterol, despite all the scientific evidence against this theory?

Yes, I was under the impression that they now know dietary cholesterol doesn't create the hardened arteries and so on they used to believe it did (and yes - the culprit is - currently suggested to be...carbs! As in the wheat and grain derived ones, and food industry contrived 'frankenfoods'.) (I can't believe the wonderful sweet potato - as in my favourite starchy veg - could cause such problems - but I have very healthy strong ancestors whose staple diet was sweet potato - and I am not alone in this.)

I hear you with the omega 6/3 imbalance thing Modesty007 (I LOVE the toenails btw).

Anyway, back to eggs - ditto with the egg yolks. As my partner said the other day, he couldn't really imagine our ancient ancestors separating the egg whites from the yolks, and throwing out the yummy nutritious yellow bit to make a 'healthy' omelette! (But way less people do that now I hope?)

I have read something recently that there is something inflammatory in chicken eggs, even free-range eggs. (I really should start a file in my computer so I can keep a track of these readings...).

But for me, when it comes to checking out nutrition and new food theories, as well as old ones, it comes down to my own 'eat and meter' re my BG levels, and then blood tests for the heart-health aspects. And I had the best blood lipid readings I have ever had when eating the most (free range, local supplied) chicken eggs in my whole life. (During a 'Paleo 30) (or blood lipids test right afterwards, I should say.)

I will never forgive the 1970s for taking eggs from me for so long! That, and orange and brown interiors! But the eggs! That really hurt.

Reactions: 2 people

john2223

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
There are conflicting studies on eggs and type 2 diabetes, some saying it's beneficial while others say it doubles the risk of heart disease for T2's. What is the right amount of eggs should we consume every week? Any long term diabetics/T2 (more than 3 years) who have consumed eggs on a daily basis? Thanks!

A recent study proved that eggs are not harmful in type 2 diabetes. In fact, eating eggs in your daily diet will help keep you full longer, which will help control your appetite. I found more on this study here.

Reactions: 8 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another recent study - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2015/02/11/ajcn.114.096925.short:

"Conclusions: High egg consumption did not have an adverse effect on the lipid profile of people with T2D in the context of increased MUFA and PUFA consumption. This study suggests that a high-egg diet can be included safely as part of the dietary management of T2D, and it may provide greater satiety. This trial was registered at the Australia New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (http://www.anzctr.org.au/) as ACTRN12612001266853."

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Yes, I was under the impression that they now know dietary cholesterol doesn't create the hardened arteries and so on they used to believe it did (and yes - the culprit is - currently suggested to be...carbs! As in the wheat and grain derived ones, and food industry contrived 'frankenfoods'.) (I can't believe the wonderful sweet potato - as in my favourite starchy veg - could cause such problems - but I have very healthy strong ancestors whose staple diet was sweet potato - and I am not alone in this.)

I hear you with the omega 6/3 imbalance thing Modesty007 (I LOVE the toenails btw).

Anyway, back to eggs - ditto with the egg yolks. As my partner said the other day, he couldn't really imagine our ancient ancestors separating the egg whites from the yolks, and throwing out the yummy nutritious yellow bit to make a 'healthy' omelette! (But way less people do that now I hope?)

I have read something recently that there is something inflammatory in chicken eggs, even free-range eggs. (I really should start a file in my computer so I can keep a track of these readings...).

But for me, when it comes to checking out nutrition and new food theories, as well as old ones, it comes down to my own 'eat and meter' re my BG levels, and then blood tests for the heart-health aspects. And I had the best blood lipid readings I have ever had when eating the most (free range, local supplied) chicken eggs in my whole life. (During a 'Paleo 30) (or blood lipids test right afterwards, I should say.)

I will never forgive the 1970s for taking eggs from me for so long! That, and orange and brown interiors! But the eggs! That really hurt.
Cool post.. :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Lol, Oh, not again! Should be 'told off by' haha! How do you switch predictive text off!!!???? It's driving me mad!
Naw!
Being "tolboothed" by a dietician has images of you getting locked up in a medieval dungeon (to match her out of date dietary knowledge:wideyed:)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pre-diabetes days (almost 8 months ago) only ever had eggs very rarely....now I have either a scrambled or poached 2 or three times a week, have really learned to love them all over again. My digestive system is great these days on lchf, used to have a daily dose of lansaprozole and often rennies on stand by too- no longer ever get indigestion! !

Reactions: 10 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Pre-diabetes days (almost 8 months ago) only ever had eggs very rarely....now I have either a scrambled or poached 2 or three times a week, have really learned to love them all over again. My digestive system is great these days on lchf, used to have a daily dose of lansaprozole and often rennies on stand by too- no longer ever get indigestion! !
So nice to hear... but we are not fooled, it wasn't easy... it's all down to determination - well done... :)

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
There are conflicting studies on eggs and type 2 diabetes, some saying it's beneficial while others say it doubles the risk of heart disease for T2's. What is the right amount of eggs should we consume every week? Any long term diabetics/T2 (more than 3 years) who have consumed eggs on a daily basis? Thanks!

I adopted the low carb / high fat diet when I learned I had T2. I don't go out of my way to add fat, but I do not shy away from it either. I eat eggs, a lot, and within a year my cholesterol dropped drastically. carbs and fats = bad. Low carb and fats mean your body burns fat for energy, not getting trapped in the body by the inflammation carbs cause.

In my opinion and all the research I've done, it is all in how you combine foods. You either go low carb and natural fats, or you watch your calories and fat content. The latter didn't work for me, and my numbers kept rising no matter how strict my diet was. Within three months of a healthy low carb diet, my A1C's dropped to 5.6, One year later, they are 5.0.

I was on 1500 mg of Metformin. I am off all diabetic meds now, controlled solely by diet and exercise.

Reactions: 10 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I adopted the low carb / high fat diet when I learned I had T2. I don't go out of my way to add fat, but I do not shy away from it either. I eat eggs, a lot, and within a year my cholesterol dropped drastically. carbs and fats = bad. Low carb and fats mean your body burns fat for energy, not getting trapped in the body by the inflammation carbs cause.

In my opinion and all the research I've done, it is all in how you combine foods. You either go low carb and natural fats, or you watch your calories and fat content. The latter didn't work for me, and my numbers kept rising no matter how strict my diet was. Within three months of a healthy low carb diet, my A1C's dropped to 5.6, One year later, they are 5.0.

I was on 1500 mg of Metformin. I am off all diabetic meds now, controlled solely by diet and exercise.
Well said, and well done Liso66... I have had 5.5 months of the same life-style and it will now be my life-plan - no deviations... My doctor called me one night and told me he was happy that I was controlling my diabetes 2 but that he was concerned that my cholesterol had risen slightly.. I've been told it goes up before it goes down - can you remember whether yours did or not? My lipids are 0.75... very low - which is good, no?

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Have you seen the low-carb recipes thread? Maybe you have some recipes to add.. :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Shopping.Bad payers.
I have 10 egg whites every night and my sugars have never been better.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Shopping.Bad payers.
What do you do with 10 egg whites??
I make an omelet covered in tomatoes mushrooms and 1 large onion. The tomatoes mushrooms and onion I put in a saucepan with a drop of virgin oil bring to boil and spread on omelette. Some time I will add peppers or spring onions.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I don't know if this is relevant but I find if I have "Eggs Toscana" ( eggs in the traditional Tuscan style) for brunch the carbohydrate in the Focaccia bread which is part of it has surprisingly little impact on my blood glucose levels where as a pizza which is made from the same type dough would send my blood glucose levels much higher.
I can only speculate that the eggs, leafy vegetables and olive oil in the Eggs Toscana have a moderating effect that moderates the absorbtion of the carbs.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the healthiest way to cook eggs, soft boiled,hard boiled or fried?
I have a soft boiled one. every morning,

Last edited by a moderator:

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What is the healthiest way to cook eggs, soft boiled,hard boiled or fried?
I have a soft boiled one. every morning,

Good morning Pura Vida... It matters not how you eat your eggs.. :) I used 8 to make a wonderful crustless quiche yesterday... so tasty and will feed me healthily for a couple of days...I used a buttered, 9x6 high sided baking tray, but anything that is large enough will do... I cooked 250gm of frozen spinach leaf with a little onion and garlic powder and a fresh scrape of nutmeg, until it was completely dry and spread it out on the bottom of the tray; snipped 16 slices of streaky bacon into small pieces, fried till crisp, sprinkled them on top of the spinach; chopped 8 largish mushrooms and fried them in the bacon fat and a little butter till completely dry, then sprinkled them over the spinach and bacon in an even layer; grated enough strong cheddar to make another layer - purely to your taste really - then 8 large free-range eggs beaten with 160ml of cream, salt and pepper poured gently over everything in the pan; 15 half cherry tomatoes and I finished with a grating of good parmesan over the top; 170 degree oven for around 30 minutes, till touched with gold here and there and with the centre just the slightest bit soft still... Cool a bit and enjoy... I cut mine into 15 squares and keep in a plastic tub to be dipped into whenever I need it! I know this is 'off-piste' and should be in the 'What Did You Eat Today' thread, but I don't know if you go to that thread... although I can highly recommend it for you... also Low Carb Recipes... Enjpy, and good luck... :)