Would you want to go back to eating the way you used to?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Never.. See the harm in others from eating rubbish.. So why would I want to join in?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that I would like to return to is being able to eat a lot of fruit - I used to take a variety of fruit to work, put it in a bowl and just help myself throughout the week! These days it's 60g of blueberries which I eat t/out the morning and in my lunch time yoghurt or the occasional apple either on it's own, in a yoghurt or with a nice big chunk of cheddar cheese!!

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well done ruth for sticking to what is working for you on your healthy eating,I agree with you,I would not want to eat the things I had before, they may taste nice, yet it was damaging my health, since I been looking after my body keeping fit and eating healthy,my sugars are low, I feel great and my weight is coming off and at a safe pace. I congratulate everyone who is making positive changes and is feeling good and looking good for it, what is working for you stick with, I see gods food the natural fruit and veg as the most healthy safe food that is doing my body good and to me is a cure, the man made artificial foods and processed is what is destroying peoples health.those who want that in there body,good luck to them as all it will do is make there health suffer, I would rather eat food that is kind to the body, than have it suffer eating the bad junk out there. Big hugs xx to all who are doing great with there health well done x

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You would have to pick today to offer the congratulations Spirits.

Myself and my OH have been out all day at a wargames show, breakfast was fairly normal so no problem, but it wasn't until 2.30 that we ended up stopping to get some lunch on the way back at an OK Dinner, I not only fell right off the wagon but down the cliff and pulled the wagon down on top of me. The chicken, bacon and chips was bad enough, but the waffle with chocolate sauce, cherries and ice cream really was not what I should have been eating, I doubt remembering to take my sweeteners to put in the coffee really made much difference. 5.00 when we got home my BS was up to 8.2, by 7.00 it was 10.4, will check again at 8.00 and later if its still going up just to see what it tops out at. I still haven't had anything else to eat yet as I still feel too full, just drinking loads of water.

It was really nice but I know it was a one off, back to normal tomorrow, and I need to go and climb the stairs a few times as well as check the BS again.

Reactions: 8 people

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You would have to pick today to offer the congratulations Spirits.

Myself and my OH have been out all day at a wargames show, breakfast was fairly normal so no problem, but it wasn't until 2.30 that we ended up stopping to get some lunch on the way back at an OK Dinner, I not only fell right off the wagon but down the cliff and pulled the wagon down on top of me. The chicken, bacon and chips was bad enough, but the waffle with chocolate sauce, cherries and ice cream really was not what I should have been eating, I doubt remembering to take my sweeteners to put in the coffee really made much difference. 5.00 when we got home my BS was up to 8.2, by 7.00 it was 10.4, will check again at 8.00 and later if its still going up just to see what it tops out at. I still haven't had anything else to eat yet as I still feel too full, just drinking loads of water.

It was really nice but I know it was a one off, back to normal tomorrow, and I need to go and climb the stairs a few times as well as check the BS again.
hi ruth i do hope you are alright,I pray your sugers calm down also,it is hard sometimes to walk away from tempting foods,you just need that big strong will power to say no,glad you enjoyed yourself though,big hugs xx

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very doubtful for me. I had a beer gut but really didn't drink that much beer. Low carbing I lost a bunch of weight, gone from 36" downwards... today tried on some 32" in a charity shop and they were too big... I actually eat a lot in the evening, mainly veg, cabbage, sauerkraut, spinach with some meat and nearly always feel like I could eat it again without any problems. I used to bake two loaves a week and really don't miss it... not touched a beer since diagnosed..... really surprised myself.... Planks in the morning have really helped my lower back issues... and still not sure I have my BG under control, so going forward with caution but really not going back.

Reactions: 3 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy to say no real harm done by yesterday's slip. BS peaked about 8.30 at 14.3, by the time I went to bed just before 10.00 it was down to 10.2. This morning was 6.3 which is very average for me, i am normally in the low 6s fasting, very rarely into the high 5s.

I plan an easy day today, I have a duck to roast for dinner and a load of veg to steam to go with it. I might allow myself a couple of really small roast potatoes as well.

What I found more concerning was that while it was in the 8s and 9s I could feel it was high, when it reach double figures I was starting to feel better and it was the later readings that surprised me a bit, I was expecting it to be high after what i ate, but from the way I felt i was expecting to see it start to drop. If I wasn't testing and had been feeling hungry I wouldn't have thought twice about have a few more carbs. A potent reminder about why we need to test and keep testing to see what the peak actually is, after all at the normal 2 hour mark (2 1/2 hours actually but close enough) it was only 8.2 which is with in NHS guidelines. The peak was actually 6 hours after eating and far too high.

Reactions: 4 people

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I notice that in several threads people refer to the possibility of being cured and being able to go back to eating what you want. Now I doubt anyone here would argue that not having to watch what we eat would be great, but I do wonder how many would actually want to go back to what we were eating before, particularly those like myself that ate particularly unhealthy diets and just kept putting the weight on.

For myself I feel far better now that my carb intake is reduced and I don't think it is just the BS levels, and my weight is finally reducing slowly. I know I could easily slip back into all the snacks but even those aren't as appealing as they used to be.

The other one that made me think about this was a friend going on about one of the wonders of their local chippy, a deep fried battered potato wedge served in a burger bun, the thought of that much stodge turned my stomach, but a few months ago I would have thought it worth trying. It made me realise that my whole attitude to what I want to eat is changing for the better.

I should also add that this is assuming that a miracle happens and you are cured, would you want to eat what you used to.

Well. having taken the DAFNE course, I CAN eat virtually what I like. I must stress that my diet wasn't that unhealthy anyway, but it's nice to know you can go crazy just once in a while.

As for what I used to eat pre-diagnosis - that was 40 years ago and I lost my taste for curly-wurly bars quite a while back!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I WOULD like to, especially fruit and ice cream and chips and ... but it's like looking down the mountain and thinking that after getting this far I can't be bothered to do it again so I might as well keep going. Also the view up here is much better and the air is cleaner (add your own metaphors).
@Ruth B Today I came unstuck over a pub lunch when I negotiated a bun-free burger with extra toppings and salad but forgot the chips. When it arrived with half the plate buried under chips I didn't have the nerve to leave them all so I ate half. That spiked me +3.0mmol/l after an hour to 8.7, 8.3 after 2 hours and back to base (5.7) at 3 hours after a walk.
Lesson learned, hopefully no harm done. We're all allowed to make mistakes; the trick is to learn and not repeat them. So for my next trick I take this waffle with butter and maple syrup ... :facepalm:

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live close to Dartmoor and a regular treat for years has been a day out on the Moor and fish and chips from Princetown. I've driven past the chippy over the last 6 weeks but would dearly love my old treat again :(

Reactions: 2 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I think on the whole my mind set has changed, i wouldn't and can't go back to the food i ate. it was filled with so many food toxins and carbs but i didn't know any better and the change has come with re-educating myself about food and listening to my body's reaction and learning to enjoy real food rather than the garbage they sell in supermarkets.

lely

Would just love to eat a whole 500ml tub of strawberry cheesecake ice cream when watching a movie every now and then, I know it's a lot and know it made me feel sick for an hour or so after but it was self indulgent and I need that every now and then.
Self indulgence these days is having jam on toast or an extra Yorkshire ony roast.

Reactions: 6 people

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
I miss eating as I did, because my treats were very occasional, like fish and chips every 2 mths, or the odd pie. Sweet and sour chicken in batter. They were my treats, the rest of the time I ate properly so I do miss them just. Never was a sweet eater but every now and then a slice of carrot cake was nice.
Fish and chips every couple of month's good Lord can you imagine the effect you are having
on Whitby fishermen,they are scrimping and saving to put food on their family's table! And
I feel a teer welling for the Lincolnshire potato farmers too! MERRY Thursday.Richard

Farmpa78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would not go back, was eating too much rubbish and too much as well, was not good for us long term, not on a strict diet like a lot of you on here, but the NHS diet sheet does work for me for the time being, might change in the future as this disease progresses.

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not that long diagnosed so I am just working on it learning how my own blood sugar levels respond to certain foods.
I am not really missing many foods but I am not exactly fond of zero calorie soft drinks.
In a couple of months I am going on my usual holiday to Sirmione Italy and that will be a challenge I know the hotel very well and I am pretty sure the main meals will be suitable but I will be missing the superb and very large ice cream deserts.
I have made up my mind not to try and over manage my BG level and hope the amount of extra walking will allow me some leeway .

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs D came home today with hot cross buns from the local baker so I did feel a pang but I told her I'd get my own back. I'm looking forward to making some more gram flour pancakes. I can also hit back with mug cakes.
The local baker makes lovely stuff but who knows how much salt and sugar goes into his wares? He may not be too precise himself.

Reactions: 4 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs D came home today with hot cross buns from the local baker so I did feel a pang but I told her I'd get my own back. I'm looking forward to making some more gram flour pancakes. I can also hit back with mug cakes.
The local baker makes lovely stuff but who knows how much salt and sugar goes into his wares? He may not be too precise himself.
I had a hot cross bun yesterday afternoon - v nice it twas too! When I tested 2 hours later before tea my BS was 5.9 so not too much damage :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asda do Hot Cross loaves, which while it sound bad does mean I can cut a small slice and have that, my OH tends to have thick slices toasted, so we can each have a slice Saturday and Sunday morning and freeze the other half of the loaf until the next weekend. It means I end up having far less than I would if I got Hot Cross Buns in.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR

I hate you. Well, not you, exactly, but the mention of Hot Cross Buns.

*wistful sigh*

Tescos do them with orange and cranberries.
which is delicious.

I allowed myself 1 last year and chucked the other 3 from the packet.
Will I be that strong this year...? :nailbiting: