DAFNE Course

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been put on a waiting list for a DAFNE course at my hospital and was just wondering what I can expect to be doing on the course. Also is it a relaxed course, I'm quite shy and get nervous around people I don't know :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Obviously the first day is a little tense as you don't know what to expect and don't know anybody, but by the second day its very relaxed as you get to know the group a little better as well as the course leaders.

The course covers aspects of diabetes management like getting the basal dose right, carb counting, insulin-to-carb ratio's, Sick Day Rules, Exercising and dose adjustments as well as a Q & A session with the Consultant and DSN, each morning starts off with everyone discussing their previous days results.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi nicola
as what noblehead has said........it is quite hands on with everyone doing their own personal calculations and talking about results

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I am on a course this week and it's great
6 of us on the course and it is really easy going, nice to be around other type 1's

Reactions: 6 people

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going on this course in August and am interested in how other people found it - I'm also quite shy and awkward but looking forward to learning more.

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nicola. I went on the course about 2 years back and I loved it. It was like starting over again with the diabetes and had to change my thinking a little as I have been diagnosed 25 years. It gives you so much freedom and you can eat and rink anything you want as long as you account for it. The group I was with we're very friendly and we had a giggle which put us all at ease. Remember you are all in the same boat so can all support each other and the support from the staff is excellent. Well worth going on every diabetic should do it.
Good luck
Kellie:):)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
My last day tomorrow, really enjoyed every minute of it. Well worth doing

peejay 37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sainsbury's
Lo Nicola
I was diagnosed Type 1 in March 1969 and got a place on a DAFNE course in January 2012 and enjoyed every thing about it and only wished I had been able to have done it sooner.
I agree with Kelly every type 1 should have access to the course as it does change your thinking about having diabetes.
The back up afterwards is superb as the team are always available if you have problems:cool: all the best and go for it.
Peejay

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah but it is 6 weeks now as that was too long to wait if things were not working well for graduates

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went on it about a month ago and couldn't recommend it more. Learnt a ton of stuff about diabetes management (you'd think I'd be fairly up on it after 33 years!).

One thing I would say (and this might just be for our group) is to be prepared for your levels to be a bit haywire for the the week, they had us all go back to 1:1 ratios for food (that will be explained) and everyone was running really high for the week! Stick with it though it will all start to make sense come Wednesday / Thursday!

Matt