Confused by meter readings

rosqho

Hi folks,
Can anyone help me please. After much cajoling I have eventually persuaded my GP to give me a test meter and test strips as sometimes I feel awful at certain times of day. Diagnosed T2, 15 months ago, have lost 4 stone in weight. Anyway my confusion is the my readings are highish, 7.8 before I eat and drop to 5.2 after 2 hours. I was told to expect the readings to go up 2 hours after food - so far been testing using a Aviva Nano for a week and the pattern is the same every day.
Any suggestions what this means?

Also I seem to alternate between feeling very cold and at other times feel as if I'm running a temperature ( and no, it's not the menopause - that finished about 12 years ago!!)

Would be grateful for any info or tips. :)

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what are you eating? sometimes you drop before it goes up depending on how quick the food digests etc.

sandymaynard

Hi
what meds are you on?
what are you eating? I find that if i eat salad it lowers my blood sugars!
Some foods can take 3 to 4 hours after eating!
I eat reduced carbs diet, Are you on any sort of diet?
I am sure someone who knows more will be along shortly!
Sandy

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi rosqho,

On average your BS level will peak at around one hour after a meal and after 2 hours will have dropped back to near where it started at. But that is an average, and it can be affected by many things, but particularly what kind of food you ate - was it high or low in carbs, high or low GI, did it contain sugar or fat? All of these affect how quickly the food converts into glucose and how quickly or slowly the blood sugar will be processed by your body's insulin.

rosqho

Thanks for your replies.
Typical diet is porridge with skim milk, no suger, for breakfast, some sort of salad with cheese / tuna at lunchtime and then chicken / fish / omlette with loads of veg and one small potato or small amount of broen rice / pasta for evening meal. Sometimes if I'm hungry, I will have an apple or pear in the evening. Trying to keep fairly low carb as I think it has helped me lose the weight and ready the forum it is alos helping to keep bg down.

Maybe I need to test 1 hour after food not 2hours as recommended?

Any insights into the body temperature flucutaions?

sandymaynard

Hi
If i eat potato bread rice or pasta! My blood sugars go through the roof and spike very high!
I do now and again for a treat have wild rice,
I cannot eat porridge as it makes me spike through the roof!
are you taking any sort of blood thinners regular? I.e warfarin, asprin etc?
As these can cause the body temperature to cahange alot!
I can eat quater of a apple no change to blood sugar!
If i eat a pear then i go through the roof! The more natural water conatined within fruit the higher the sugar content, if i have it the right way around!
to be honest the lunch time seems to be same as what i have for evening meal, minus the potato! as don't eat them at all now!
Hope this helps i am sure someone will be along shortly with better advice!
Sandy

Parselmouth

I've had that hot/cold thing going on although it has been less noticeable since the weather warmed up. I'm on metformin and gliclazide, no blood thinning drugs.

Maybe it's just an adjustment to lower blood sugars? I felt warm most of the time before, boiling sometimes, especially at night.

Trinkwasser

Check this out

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -test.html

only try about half an hour after you eat, then one hour and hourly out to about four hours. You may find you are spiking high relatively quickly (as Dennis says generally around the 1 hour mark) then your pancreas is waking up, dumping too much insulin and later sending you low (Reactive Hypoglycemia). When you do a 2 hour test you are passing through normal on the way from a high to a low (BTDT)

If so, try dropping the carbs at any one meal to a level where you no longer spike, and it may help to eat less more often so your food and especially carb load is more spread out over the day.