LCHF diet question.....

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
I am not a fan of the LCHF diet although I do restrict my carbs to a 100gms a day. My cholesterol is normal as is my BP. When I was told I had T2 just before Christmas 2014 my BG was 15 it is now around 7 - 9. It is difficult doing hi fat if you are a veggie. My body doesn't do high fat as it is not used to it and also I only have mainly soya. I get my fats from nuts and seeds and oils(I bring back from Italy and France). I am not overweight neither did I eat loads of sweets or drink sugar loaded stuff. I drank and drink green tea and water. I take a Bvit complex pill and a veggie oil pill. My HDL to LDL is a ratio of 2:5 which is excellent. It seems I have inherited the T2 from my Dad. Now I am thinking of having to change my diet again because my DN is fairly certain I have pernicious anaemia and I am folate deficient because of the metformin(500mg per day) and Mepredec which I take for my oste arthritis drugs. I am waiting for the results now. I do feel that if we don't fit in to this LCHF diet we are 'letting the side down'. How about someone doing something for us low fatters who can't tolerate the stuff but support the LC theories. Although sometimes I do wonder about that too.

Reactions: 6 people
C

catherinecherub

Don't ever feel that you are letting the side down. @DianaRose.
Different people use different methods with good results. We also have to take into account that many people have co morbidities and trying to balance them with diabetes means that they sometimes have restrictions on what they can eat.
There are a lot of people here who use medium fat as opposed to high fat and many who think the high fat is misleading as they have swapped low fat products for full fat ones but not added anything more than that.

You might occasionally get a member who likes to decide what other people should and should not eat but that is not the norm.

You are a member of this community, whose aim is to support each other.

Reactions: 11 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a fan of the LCHF diet although I do restrict my carbs to a 100gms a day. My cholesterol is normal as is my BP. When I was told I had T2 just before Christmas 2014 my BG was 15 it is now around 7 - 9. It is difficult doing hi fat if you are a veggie. My body doesn't do high fat as it is not used to it and also I only have mainly soya. I get my fats from nuts and seeds and oils(I bring back from Italy and France). I am not overweight neither did I eat loads of sweets or drink sugar loaded stuff. I drank and drink green tea and water. I take a Bvit complex pill and a veggie oil pill. My HDL to LDL is a ratio of 2:5 which is excellent. It seems I have inherited the T2 from my Dad. Now I am thinking of having to change my diet again because my DN is fairly certain I have pernicious anaemia and I am folate deficient because of the metformin(500mg per day) and Mepredec which I take for my oste arthritis drugs. I am waiting for the results now. I do feel that if we don't fit in to this LCHF diet we are 'letting the side down'. How about someone doing something for us low fatters who can't tolerate the stuff but support the LC theories. Although sometimes I do wonder about that too.
Being a veggie makes it difficult and i can understand....do you do dairy? Lot of fat there...yogurt cream and cheese....not to say you need so much fat. I am sure if you managed to resudce the carbs some more you may be able to go off the metformin which may help the folate deficiency....also exercise 30 min of intensive exercise will burn those sugars.... :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if you meant Soya oil but this is not considered a good oil to consume because it is high in Omega 6. Vegetable fats that have good profiles include coconut oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil, macadamia nut oil and flax seed oil (linseed) among others. Nobody has mentioned avocados these are great for low-carbing.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I'm confused by the too'ing and fro'ing of good fats and bad fats. I am limited to 5% saturated fats by my DN, and i cant cope with cream or high fats, as i had to have my gall bladder removed, (which damaged my pancreas and caused my T2), and i do eat carbs, again limited to 5% sugar by my DN, and i lost. 2 1/2 stones initially, but now seem to have plateaud and so wonder if i need to cut back on my carbs more, i consume about 100gm a day, or if there is something fundamentally that I'm doing wrong? I'd value some input please

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Being a veggie makes it difficult and i can understand....do you do dairy? Lot of fat there...yogurt cream and cheese....not to say you need so much fat. I am sure if you managed to resudce the carbs some more you may be able to go off the metformin which may help the folate deficiency....also exercise 30 min of intensive exercise will burn those sugars.... :)
My DN who I see on the 26th of this month says if the results are lower she will take me off the metformin. We debated whether or not for me to take it originally.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why do nursing homes have a lot more ladies than men in them .
My mate and me were asking this point straight after Christmas
noticing this fact .

Ladies appear to really outlive the men in them
Made us both wonder about why? how? this is .
Wondered about their diets and activities etc .
They DO appear to eat less in nursing homes also .

Crikey.. The people I saw in residential homes were not eating less at all!! And they constantly ate biscuits n sweet inbetween their meals... Often treats brought in by families.

Honest... Some peoples meals for a day would be my total for 3 days...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Crikey.. The people I saw in residential homes were not eating less at all!! And they constantly ate biscuits n sweet inbetween their meals... Often treats brought in by families.

Honest... Some peoples meals for a day would be my total for 3 days...
You must be visting different ones than me and my mate visted .
None were diabetic there either !

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Ladies have a soothing hormone called Oestrogen....makes them less aggressive and they live longer....probably cause they can take out all their stress on their men haha :)
:cool: Answer - will let my mate know this :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You must be visting different ones than me and my mate visted .
None were diabetic there either !

Worked at a couple on occasions. The people that suffered most were people that for some reason could not feed themselves... Food would be put on table and them just taken away... No time or staff to help or encourage them to eat. Just like in hospitals.

Some persons regularly had huge amounts of food considering their inactivity. There was little or no monitoring accurately recorded.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't ever feel that you are letting the side down. @DianaRose.
Different people use different methods with good results. We also have to take into account that many people have co morbidities and trying to balance them with diabetes means that they sometimes have restrictions on what they can eat.
There are a lot of people here who use medium fat as opposed to high fat and many who think the high fat is misleading as they have swapped low fat products for full fat ones but not added anything more than that.

You might occasionally get a member who likes to decide what other people should and should not eat but that is not the norm.

You are a member of this community, whose aim is to support each other.
I agree, lchf is the most common diet used but as you say some are unable to follow it because of other reasons & yes lchf is misleading & I feel it should be called low carb increased fat. Just changing from the low fat products is increasing your fat intake & if that works for some then great but if it doesn't then other forms of fat are introduced to the diet till the happy medium is found.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i lost 8 half stone on it it works trust me lol xx

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confused by the too'ing and fro'ing of good fats and bad fats. I am limited to 5% saturated fats by my DN, and i cant cope with cream or high fats, as i had to have my gall bladder removed, (which damaged my pancreas and caused my T2), and i do eat carbs, again limited to 5% sugar by my DN, and i lost. 2 1/2 stones initially, but now seem to have plateaud and so wonder if i need to cut back on my carbs more, i consume about 100gm a day, or if there is something fundamentally that I'm doing wrong? I'd value some input please
You can try lowering the cards a bit & see what happens but as you lower carbs you to replace with something to add the energy lost by the lower carbs. It's difficult finding the balance when you have other issues that restrict what you can eat.

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Mandy

I had my gallbladder out and also have to be careful with fat, though I know others with no gb who can eat fat freely. Atre there some fats that you digest better than others and could eat a few more of those? I literally
Cannot digest animal (meat) fat, but am ok with moderate amounts of nuts, oil, avocado, butter, some cheese.

How much more weight would u like to loose?

All the best

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Not sure if you meant Soya oil but this is not considered a good oil to consume because it is high in Omega 6. Vegetable fats that have good profiles include coconut oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil, macadamia nut oil and flax seed oil (linseed) among others. Nobody has mentioned avocados these are great for low-carbing.
Isn't rapeseed oil full of omega 6?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't rapeseed oil full of omega 6?

It has Omega 6 but a lot less than other commonly used cooking oils. Rapeseed is 20% Omega 6 compared to 65% for sunflower, for example. It also contains 9% Omega 3, so the 6:3 ratio is about 2:1, which is close to ideal. It also has a high smoking point so is suitable for frying and roasting, which olive oil, for example, isn't.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I got some of that triple filtered all Brit stuff last year and everyone was on my case about it being bad for me bad for the environment.
Can't remember the details now but I used it up and didn't buy anymore.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can try lowering the cards a bit & see what happens but as you lower carbs you to replace with something to add the energy lost by the lower carbs. It's difficult finding the balance when you have other issues that restrict what you can eat.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, I hope you LCHF eaters are right, 'cause I've just ditched my so called 'healthy' porridge breakfast in favour of 2 eggs scrambled with cheese and three rashers. Yummie! My BG was 7.8 when I got up, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of hours............watch this space ;)